help with my gt?

Three21

Established Member
so you saying the sct tuners are crap? ive been looking at those alot.

The SCT handhelds (X3, X4, PRP, etc) are just a tool to datalog, make minor adjustments, and upload tune files. Anyone with the required software can write a tune (good or bad) for an SCT tuner so no it's not the tool's fault for a bad tune.

Sluggie24

Established Member
In 1996 I had a 92 GT. Already installed heads, cam, intake, full exhaust etc.

Had a leak start at the rear main seal. Figured if i was gonna pull the trans I might as well pull the oil pan to put an oil return line in for a supercharger and install a supercharger. That led to a ton of "while im in there" and "I should do this supporting mod" ideas.

8 months on jack stands and $20k later the car was done and the only things that I didn't change were the body/interior, intake and driveshaft.

Sold it a year later and lost a ton of $.

Now i have a supercharged 04 GT and I'm having expensive thoughts although my age/experience is allowing me to think somewhat rationally now and take my time with things somewhat.

Cars are a disease...

SteveKnight77

Established Member
In 1996 I had a 92 GT. Already installed heads, cam, intake, full exhaust etc.

Had a leak start at the rear main seal. Figured if i was gonna pull the trans I might as well pull the oil pan to put an oil return line in for a supercharger and install a supercharger. That led to a ton of "while im in there" and "I should do this supporting mod" ideas.

8 months on jack stands and $20k later the car was done and the only things that I didn't change were the body/interior, intake and driveshaft.

Sold it a year later and lost a ton of $.

Now i have a supercharged 04 GT and I'm having expensive thoughts although my age/experience is allowing me to think somewhat rationally now and take my time with things somewhat.

Cars are a disease...
That's great lol . Got my rims today far cry better than the old ones. Racks next and some new hubs and a few other things up front suspension and then I can at least drive it without tearing the tires up , well unless I want to lol.

Three21

Established Member
Check all your bushings A-arms, sway bar end links, etc for dry rot and replace those while you're in there.

May be getting ahead of myself, but if you are thinking about lowering the car instead of shorter, stiffer springs look into drop spindles in the front to keep the steering geometry correct. You can cut 1 to 1.5 coils off the back springs to lower the back.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Check all your bushings A-arms, sway bar end links, etc for dry rot and replace those while you're in there.

May be getting ahead of myself, but if you are thinking about lowering the car instead of shorter, stiffer springs look into drop spindles in the front to keep the steering geometry correct. You can cut 1 to 1.5 coils off the back springs to lower the back.
Right on thanks for the info. I'm already thinking lower.

SteveKnight77

Established Member
Right on thanks for the info. I'm already thinking lower.
so can you tell me more about the drop spindles? and what about the wheel bearings are the moog brand good enough because i know that dura last crap is good for about a year at least in my experince... or do you have a better suggestion?

SteveKnight77

Established Member
20180421_150448.jpg
before

SteveKnight77

Established Member
i also just put the GT emblems on the fenders some idiot had cobras on it and across the window when i bought it ....that was the first thing i did was take those off.

Sluggie24

Established Member
I agree with checking the rest of the front end. Front sway bar bushings and ball joints especially since they wear with age/use. Urathane sway bar bushings would be an inexpensive upgrade if yours need to be replaced. Also a perfect time to instal new tie rod ends if the rack doesnt come with them.

If the car has over 80k mi the shocks and struts are likely weak/shot. The Koni orange shocks/struts are an inexpensive upgrade.

I went with a set of ford perfomance B springs(I think) for both my 04 and my sons 03 gt. Lower but not too low. Was able to get his aligned perfect using the aftermarket eccentric bolts to set camber. Mine with the supercharger, intercooler and piping sat a bit lower and required camber caster plates to get the alignment right.

Whatever you end up replacing make sure that you go to a good place for an alignment. It would be a shame to scrub new tires because the alignment was bad.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I'm running C springs. I also have Steeda ball joints. I'm putting the spacers that come with the ball joints in today because I am tired of dragging my exhaust. 1/4-1/2" is more than you realize.

Plus I can't get used to the rake the car has at the moment while running stock Bullitt wheels.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread