Help with squealing noise

01_Svt venom

Established Member
I have an 01 cobra that has been making a squealing sound the past few weeks. It does it on start and when I rev the engine. I thought it was the belt so I replaced it but the sound continues. Found another idler pulley that felt bad so I replaced it but the sound didn't stop. I took the belt off completely and started the car and it still squeals. It sounds like its coming from the driver side valve cover area but I cant figure out what it could be. Any Ideas on what to check for next?

BigEasy

Established Member
I cant help you caz i have had the same problem as you, and tryed same things. Hope to get it fixed in my build! Anyone got any ideas to help us out??

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I have an 01 cobra that has been making a squealing sound the past few weeks. It does it on start and when I rev the engine. I thought it was the belt so I replaced it but the sound continues. Found another idler pulley that felt bad so I replaced it but the sound didn't stop. I took the belt off completely and started the car and it still squeals. It sounds like its coming from the driver side valve cover area but I cant figure out what it could be. Any Ideas on what to check for next?

I am not as familiar with the mod motor construction as I am with the 5.0 pushrod engine. I had a similar problem with my 5.0 and it turned out to be the cam sensor/syncro. I just dropped a little oil on the magnet and the problem has been fixed for the past 2500 miles. I know the two designs are completely different but I thought I would at least mention it.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
I've got an 01, If I'm not mistaken there is 2 idler pulley's and 1 auto tensioner pulley. Seeing as its quite easy to replace these belts, instead of a video with noise, why haven't you taken the belt off and inspected each pulley and the idler idler?

You can post a video, but the reality is, it could be any one of those. We will all be playing guessing games over a forum with noises from a video. I think your best, definitive option would be, to take the belt off and then start the car. If you have no noise, than you've just narrowed it down to just the pulleys. To determine the problem pulley it's very simple. Spin each pulley by hand, if it spins smooth, it's good. (Of course the obvious ones, won't free spin) If you feel a vibration when you free spin a pulley by hand, odds are that's your noise. Alternators can make a noise when the pulley bearing goes, which happens to be in the center of the motor. Either way, pop the belt off, take a few mins to check each pulley. You'll get your answer that way. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
hopefully its not something with the timing chains/tensioner/cams etc...

Only other thing I can think of offhand is are you sure the crank pulley isnt rubbing the timing cover and its just hard to pinpoint the noise? These bonded rubber 2 piece pulleys can separate, they can walk back a little and rub right through the timing cover even.

01_Svt venom

Established Member
I've got an 01, If I'm not mistaken there is 2 idler pulley's and 1 auto tensioner pulley. Seeing as its quite easy to replace these belts, instead of a video with noise, why haven't you taken the belt off and inspected each pulley and the idler idler?

You can post a video, but the reality is, it could be any one of those. We will all be playing guessing games over a forum with noises from a video. I think your best, definitive option would be, to take the belt off and then start the car. If you have no noise, than you've just narrowed it down to just the pulleys. To determine the problem pulley it's very simple. Spin each pulley by hand, if it spins smooth, it's good. (Of course the obvious ones, won't free spin) If you feel a vibration when you free spin a pulley by hand, odds are that's your noise. Alternators can make a noise when the pulley bearing goes, which happens to be in the center of the motor. Either way, pop the belt off, take a few mins to check each pulley. You'll get your answer that way. Let us know what happens.

Already had the belt off and the noise is still there so I'm sure it's not the belt or pulleys.

One thing I have noticed though is that while driving its present only when I press the gas. Letting off to coast it goes away. Also seems like the sound travels all the way through my exhaust on the driver side.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Does the sound come from the driver's side? I seem to recall that the PCV valve can make a whistling noise. Might try looking at that. Just an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread