Help with strange wiper situation

Supperior1

Established Member
Need some help. Wipers stopped working. Checked fuse and relay. Figured the motor is bad. But after more research, I'm hearing there is a relay for wipers up, a relay for wipers down, and the wiper fluid pump isn't working either, so I'm thing something electrical for both to be non functional. If the wiper motor was bad, the fluid would still spray. Are they on the same circuit? Is there other fuses to look at? I'm trying to avoid destroying my wiper cowl. Lol. Thanks.

BlackStang00

Established Member
I’m not sure how these motors are wired but if it’s like the crown vic then it could be the motor itself. I had one die on an 09 p71 and neither the wiper motor or pump worked. I ended up replacing the motor and both worked again. Just some food for thought.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My wipers stopped working once, probably because I don't drive the car in the rain and never use them. The motor was stuck in place, I turned them on with the switch, grabbed the arm with my hand and gave it a little tug, they started moving on there own again. Been fine since. This was a few years ago.

You can access the motor and linkage through the wiper cowl area. Make sure it is plugged in.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Pull the plug on the motor and check for power at the plug. easiest way to determine if it is the motor or something else electrical

Supperior1

Established Member
High beams work. Blinkers work, etc. Just the wipers and fluid pump doesnt...they have different fuses and relays. Witch seem to be good...

Supperior1

Established Member
She needs your help! Lol
IMG_20221106_081133_223.jpg

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice car! Why are you using your wipers on that car lol.

It’s possible both the washer pump and wiper motor crapped out. When is the last time you used them and they worked?

Looks like you are gonna have to check for power at both connectors.

Supperior1

Established Member
Thanks! Yea honestly, I should never use them. But I got caught in a sprinkle the other day. So it had been a while. I'm just going to have to dig into the cowl...

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Wow, I'm not a convertible fan but thats one sexy Terminator!! She sits really nice and the choice of wheels fits my taste buds.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
You should watch the South Main Auto channel on YouTube. This is a classic diagnostic opportunity to see what is really happening. The wiring diagram above will be good to use. Good luck.

Supperior1

Established Member
So I jumped the relay and the wipers worked. The fluid pump still didn't but I'm getting somewhere. But I'm confused because I swapped relays and it didn't work that way....I'll check fluid pump fuse, but not sure why the wipers wouldn't work when I used the relay next to it..

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
off topic, but what program do you use for the wiring diagrams? i've had zero luck trying to get the ford service manual to display them.
That one is identifix. One of the programs we use. Sometimes it’s not so good too just like all the others.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
If you have an extra tail lamp or turn signal with the pigtails it will help you diag this quick. I would backprobe the ground to one wire of the light and test each power wire with the other wire of the lamp. Then turn the wiper on while checking pin 4, 1 and 2. If it lights up in every position of the stalk then your motor is bad. If it doesn’t light up then we can check your ground circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread