Help with Swaybar noise

AnthonyNoz

Established Member
What tool do you use to torque the strut shaft bolt, I hold the end of the shaft with a 10mm so it won't turn but how do you check torque without being able to get a socket on there? Is there a special tool? Thanks

Jabooh1

Established Member
If you google search for 21 mm strut nut socket it is a socket that has a window on one side to put the box wrench in.

Jabooh1

Established Member
If you're very careful you can use just two open ends, I haven't torqued mine since I don't have the right tool but I made sure it is good and tight. I think the nuts are around 24 ft/lbs so nothing too tight.

So no luck. I have tried everything and can't get the noise to go away. I am going to rear it apart one more time and if that doesn't work drive the hell out of it till it breaks so the problem is obvious.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Put the stock springs back on. The good news is I can change springs in under 2 hours!!

The bad news, still have the same noise. It sounds like a metal clank. I can't see anything hitting anything else. I torqued down all bolts involved (except the too strut nut) to 20 lb over. But if I take off either endlink it goes away.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Visual inspection of the bushings and brackets. All see tight and in tact. I looked at the a arm bushings as well and those seem fine. I assume that there would be a crack in the bushing or some sort of visual breakdown of the bushing if they are bad.

Was thinking maybe it was the a arm bushings since there is a TSB on them, but it should still make the noise with the end link off I would think.

I am due for an oil change next weekend so I might just pop the swaybar off and look. If removing an end link makes the sound go away it has to be from the a arm bushing on one side, strut assembly, CC plate, end link, swaybar bushing, across the swaybar to the other bushing and the same equipment on that side.

Drive to work with the OEM boss springs, man they are soft compared to the STEEDA boss springs.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Did the oil change nothing I didn't see before. It only happens on sharp dips in the road. Can't tell if it is the lengthening or compression stroke. Happens to fast.

Is it possible the top and bottom portion of the steeda HD mounts are touching? Again it stops when one of the endlinks are off.

I am sure it is something stupid.

It seems like it is worse when the struts are on setting 5 vs 1.

Users who are viewing this thread