Hestitation When Accelerating From 1st Gear - How to check with Predator?

vipergts281

Established Member
I get a very slight hesitation when I accelerate in 1st gear. It's only 1st because if I am above 1300 rpms or so there is no hesitation. If I rev the car at a stop (to about 1500 for example) and then accelerate it is fine, NO hesitation. So after the initial acceleration in 1st, going through the gears is completely normal. Even if I do it a little aggressive (no boost though).

I know this could be a fuel or air issue. Looked under the hood, nothing obvious, of course.

Do fuel injectors cleaners work? If not, do I just pull them and wipe them off to clean?

Hoping this isn't a spark plug issue. I've had 4 pop on me over the years...it's always one of the back two on the passenger side. Last time I tried to pull the plugs the inserts came with the one. So now I'm paranoid to touch them.

I have a Predator hand held tuner. What can I look for to see if I have a fuel problem or a vacuum leak?

Thought I read something about checking the short term fuel reading to see if it's a fuel issue. What range should it be in?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
2 things..

fuel filter

coils

ivr had this issue with both causing a slight jerk when lightly pushing pedal..

when I had coil issue jerk would happen in all gears..very bad in 6th at 55mph

I found a member local I was able to test with his coils before dropping cash

I have same tuner..I didnt see much to say what to look at..

there is a list to follow for basic reference values

a vac leak could also cause this..which should show as high fuel trim around +20..+25 will set code

my trim will balance 0 with 1 bank always different

my fuel pres 39-40

Timing 18-24

Cant recall maf..maybe 24grams?

Not many use this tuner...did you update tuner? I left mine alone..new change takes away option of rear o2s turn off

vipergts281

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

I've got a new fuel filter a few weeks ago, just need to install it. I'll have to look up how to test the coils.

No, I never updated my tuner over the years. In fact, besides today, I haven't used it in forever. I originally bought it just so I could upload my tune into it, and then the car.

Shouldn't the car hesitate in all gears/rpms?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
SOLVED - Then went back to hesitating again.

I started checking the plugs. The driver side front plug was loose. Running normal now.

That's the first time in almost 200,000 miles any plug on the driver side has been loose. I've blown 4, but all on the passenger side and always one of the back two plugs. I have no idea how this one didn't blow out.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well thats cool...

Cheap fix..maybe they haven't been tight enough. .I know we hear horror storys on plugs to tight ..

I use a 3/8 long handle ratchet and i do by feel..never had issues on anything ive put plugs in

vipergts281

Established Member
I've had horror stories with my passenger side plugs. I've spent at least $1,000 on blown plugs over the years. All because they didn't use enough threads. :cuss:

And another update: Car was running great. Then I was forced to accelerate a little hard when merging. Car stumbled a little bit. I am running with no SC coolant, since there is a leak somewhere I fixed a few months ago only to have something leak again. So I don't know if that has something to do with it (pulled timing?). Although I doubt it because I've accelerated before pretty strongly (no boost though) and it was fine.

Anyway, since then it still seems to drive great. But I'm still sensing the slightest hesitation. I mean real slight. So slight I don't know if I'm imaging it or not.

I'll have to keep an eye on things. Ideally I need to change the passenger side plugs, but I'm seriously paranoid about them. Don't want to pull the insert again and screw myself. Should have used loctite when the insert was installed.

vipergts281

Established Member
Definitely still hesitating. Felt it today when I accelerated slightly harder than normal.

Changed the front spark plug on the passenger side. Pulled the next one and sure enough, the insert came out with the plug. So I cleaned up the threads and put red loctite on it. After it sets up I'm going to try and remove the plug again. Not sure if it will do anything.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Definitely still hesitating. Felt it today when I accelerated slightly harder than normal.

Changed the front spark plug on the passenger side. Pulled the next one and sure enough, the insert came out with the plug. So I cleaned up the threads and put red loctite on it. After it sets up I'm going to try and remove the plug again. Not sure if it will do anything.

Woof.....use anti-seize not loctite on the plug. Find the time-sert kits and get the threads back in there. I know you were trying to seal the hole with the loctite, but I doubt it would do what you are hoping for. Or not for long anyway.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it didn't work. I let it cure for 24 hours. Tried pulling the plug and it felt the same as before. So I stopped and tightened it back up.

Going to buy new inserts and hopefully get the same size as the current hole, then just install that with a new plug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread