Hi idle on accufab

fr03cobra

Established Member
The ford dealer took the cannon plug off the tps and the engine did not cut off with the accufab but after the factory one was on we unplugged the tps and the engine cut off. Is that normal with the accufab?

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
install an extra throttle return spring. Just a small spring will fix your problem.

How and where do I get this? I installed my 2.8 and it sticks now too!

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by drkchk03svt
How and where do I get this? I installed my 2.8 and it sticks now too!
Just go to Kragen and get a little throttle return spring then cut and bend it to fit. The spring wont fix a sticking problem. It's only if you have a high idle caused by the blade not fully closing.

If you are getting some sticking you need to open the throttle blade slightly by turning the throttle stop screw 1/4 turn at a time until it stops sticking.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Just go to Kragen and get a little throttle return spring then cut and bend it to fit. The spring wont fix a sticking problem. It's only if you have a high idle caused by the blade not fully closing.

If you are getting some sticking you need to open the throttle blade slightly by turning the throttle stop screw 1/4 turn at a time until it stops sticking.

I did not mean stick.... wrongs words. I already fixed the sticking problem... I meant it is staying hi idle for a second or two and then dropping down.

fr03cobra

Established Member
I did not mean stick.... wrongs words. I already fixed the sticking problem... I meant it is staying hi idle for a second or two and then dropping down.

That is what mine was doing too. The dealer told me to drill a small hole in it to let the vacum to air coming in to equal out.

03DOHC

Established Member
Let me ask this. If you close the throttle blade with your hand when you have that "second or two hi idle" does the idle immediately come down? It's fairly normal for it to hold for just a second and then settle down.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Let me ask this. If you close the throttle blade with your hand when you have that "second or two hi idle" does the idle immediately come down? It's fairly normal for it to hold for just a second and then settle down.

Like I said this was after I installed the 2.8. I did not have this problem before. This is not normal. I know what you are refering to. This is holding it way to high and too long. I think the spring will solve the problem. It just sounds like it is having a hard time closing by itself.

Last edited:

fr03cobra

Established Member
mine was very noticeable it was not normal by no means. I had the tick fixed at my dealer. Before the tick fix i was at 1000rpm the dealer said they seen some loose bolts in the t/b and tighten down after the tick fix it was at like 1500 then after about 5 sec it came down to 1000 but if you are in and out of first gear you will stay at 1500 till you give it time to come down. on the stock t/b there is no waiting time for it to come down or atleast it takes not as long as the accufab did by no means. it's like night and day difference.

03DOHC

Established Member
Like I said this was after I installed the 2.8. I did not have this problem before. This is not normal. I know what you are refering to. This is holding it way to high and too long. I think the spring will solve the problem. It just sounds like it is having a hard time closing by itself.
What happens if you close the throttle blade by hand? If the idle doesn't go down the spring wont help. I had this problem on my car so it's not like I'm repeating someone else's fix. The extra spring on my accufab fixed my hanging idle problem.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
What happens if you close the throttle blade by hand? If it doesn't go down then the spring wont help.

lol... understood that the first time.. I will let you know tonight. I only got it done last wednesday and did not drive the car Saturday or Sunday. I have not had time to play with it.

03DOHC

Established Member
lol... understood that the first time.. I will let you know tonight. I only got it done last wednesday and did not drive the car Saturday or Sunday. I have not had time to play with it.
:thumbsup: Gotcha. It's just that some people come on here and ask for help and don't take the advice given and complain it never got fixed. And then you ask what they did to fix it and they never did do what you told them to do. :)

Users who are viewing this thread