SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Cast Iron + Lard =

maxresdefault.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Well, my seasoning attempt turned into a crap show. 15 minutes in, smoke started billowing from the oven and set the smoke detectors off. Shut it down and turned on the fans and opened the windows. Not sure if I put too much oil on or what. The oven was just cleaned as well. FML.
Pretend like you spilled oil on it accidentally and you are wiping it off when you go to season it.

It really doesn't take much, and if you are doing it inside, put a cookie sheet under it so the drips don't end up in the bottom of the oven and start to smoke.
Too much oil or you used the wrong type of oil. You should barely have any on there and it need something with a high smoke point like vegetable oil.

When you clean them do it while they're hot. Mine go from the stove/oven straight to running water with a brush. The steam coming off will decrease and dislodge food. In the rare event that there's food left on it I have a chain mail pad I'll use with a little soap. While it's hot I return it to the hot oven or stove then I put a thin layer of oil and let it cool while the heat source cools.

Cast iron won't warp when run under water like that and if you wait to clean it too long the hardened food just degrades the seasoning. If used properly cat iron is very easy to clean and take care of and shouldn't ever need a complete reasoning.

I agree with pretty much everything you said but temperature shock is pretty hard on a seasoning. I clean mine when it's warm, depending on what I cook, it might take a quick rinse and wipe out with a towel and onto a low burner for a minute to dry. If it's a lot of oil and some burned on shit, I will dump some kosher salt into it and scrub it with a paper towel, then rinse. If I get drunk and forget to clean them and it stays gross for a few days, plastic scraper+soap and a soft sponge.

As for the OP, I have All Clad. I had a barrel of money in my pocket from the sale of my old place and told my wife I wanted to buy some stainless pans that we will never replace. She was massively against it and wanted the $300 costco non-stick shit. Fortunately, I held my ground and every single time I cook with them I am impressed.

Keep an eye on slick deals, I think I got 40% off on my set because I ordered a **** load more than I probably wanted. They had some sort of buy more, save more deal and Macy's had like 10% cash back on my CC at the same time. I think I got $1100 worth of shit for probably $650 or around that number.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I've switched over to All-clad for the stainless steel pots/pans and Le Creuset for the cast iron skillets.

2-3+ years in and zero issues.

Use the skillet 2-3 times a week, shit doesn't stick, easy to clean.

coposrv

Established Member
Don’t buy sets. Buy individual pots and pans based on the needs of your families cooking style.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Well, my seasoning attempt turned into a crap show. 15 minutes in, smoke started billowing from the oven and set the smoke detectors off. Shut it down and turned on the fans and opened the windows. Not sure if I put too much oil on or what. The oven was just cleaned as well. FML.
Don't use olive oil it doesn't have a high enough smoke point. Use vegetable, canola, or lard. Small amount pan upside down 400* for 1hr, turn off the heat and let cool inside the oven. Cast Iron is flawless once you get them right. Best steaks I've ever eaten were cooked on cast iron.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Don't use olive oil it doesn't have a high enough smoke point. Use vegetable, canola, or lard. Small amount pan upside down 400* for 1hr, turn off the heat and let cool inside the oven. Cast Iron is flawless once you get them right. Best steaks I've ever eaten were cooked on cast iron.

I did a flat iron steak last night in one of mine.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I remember when most people never heard of the flat iron steaks and they were pretty cheap. I felt like I had inside information haha! I also use them for beef and broccoli or philly cheese steaks. Cast iron a filet mignon and add butter to the skillet at the end, use a spoon to wash the steak in it. Perfection!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Had a T-Fal set for almost 15 years that had seen better days and then we switched to cast iron (Lodge) about 2 years ago and wish we had done it sooner! We seasoned it when first buying it and it took a few cooking's before it became more "non-stick" and now, it works awesome. All I do after hand cleaning mine is mist some olive oil onto it to prevent it from rusting. If I'm not in a hurry, I usually spray it a little heavier or put some coconut oil in and let it set on the burner for a bit to get hot, then push it to the side to cool down.

Now, some people are nuts and like to have fun:

cobracide

Established Member
I have a pre-seasoned Lodge, works great.

TIP - as stated earlier, olive oil has too low of a smoke point for cast iron cooking. Use another type of oil such as (among others):
  • Peanut
  • Sesame
  • Soybean

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I am going to be looking at a few options listed for new pans.

My mother and father-in-law have a set that are 40 some odd years old that they got as a wedding gift. You cannot buy them new anymore and a single medium size pot or pan is $1k+ if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Adower

Established Member
I have a pre-seasoned Lodge, works great.

TIP - as stated earlier, olive oil has too low of a smoke point for cast iron cooking. Use another type of oil such as (among others):
  • Peanut
  • Sesame
  • Soybean
I've tried avocado oil as well. It has a pretty high smoke point.

Users who are viewing this thread