High RPM lunging

rzaenglein

Indy SVT
Established Member
Hello every one, just bought an 03 cobra with shifting isssues. Ive done alot of searching but cant find much of an answer. Here is what I have going on.

Car is almost impossible to get into gear with car running, and I mean any gear. 1-6 and R. Feels like your hitting a wall and even sounds like it. Tranny does not grind one bit. if car is rolling it will go into gear, the higher the rpm and quicker the shift the harder to get in. When i had the car in first gear, I revved it high 6K plus probably and the car lunged hard. The funny part is I have adjusted the clutch and it engages at about half way of the pedal travel, it was closer to the floor when I got it with same issues. Clutch felt normal though. I took it apart and clutch looked pretty good. (Pics below)

Car has:
center force clutch with centrifugal weights on pressure plate springs
center force flywheel
aftermarket quadrant (unknown brand)
firewall adjuster (upr i believe)
adjustable cable (made in not america!)
steeda tri ax (going to MGW orange handle)

i noticed that the firewall adjuster is missing a bottom screw, dont think thats my problem though. I'm thinking that the junk adjustable cable is being stretched or pulled back by the pressure plate springs with the centrifugal weights. Any opinions or experience would be greatly appreciated. Ive heard alot of people say run an oem cable? they are alot thicker?

quadrant
quadrant_zpse026fa71.jpg

clutch cable, only marking i see on it
clutchcable_zps64f70afb.jpg

flywheel
flywheel_zps4d1a3a58.jpg

flywheel close up
flywheelcloseup_zps1eb8232a.jpg

pressure plate
pressureplate_zpsee1db002.jpg

clutch disc, pressure plate side
clutchdiscpressureplateside_zps5c419fc2.jpg

clutch disc pressure plate side, up close
clutchdisccloseup_zps7719c768.jpg

clutch disc flywheel side
clutchdiscflywheelside_zps9d752fe2.jpg

firewall adjuster
firewalladjuster_zpsc30f41dc.jpg

Last edited:

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
All your parts look decent. I dont see an issue with the clutch, PP, or flywheel. Definitely ditch the cable and go OEM. Start there

Last edited:

rzaenglein

Indy SVT
Established Member
thats what im thinking as well, anyone know if there is anyway to make the centerforce have a lighter pedal? I've considered the rxt but dont really wanna have to drop that kinda cash for a clutch

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
The oem cable might help with some pedal feel but your kinnda limited to the Centerforce pressure plate and its characteristics.

cobracide

Established Member
Have you checked the inspection port? How much slack is in the cable? Sounds like the clutch is not fully releasing at high rpm. Definitely go OEM cable.

rzaenglein

Indy SVT
Established Member
No I did not do that before I disassembled. Sounds like everyone agrees on OEM cable. Is everyone able to get enough adjustment by strictly using a firewall adjuster?

cobracide

Established Member
You SHOULD have enough cable if it's assembled properly. A nickle to dime thickness space between the fw adjuster and cable stop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread