Higher Mileage

Ddawg18

Established Member
I did not want to de rail the other thread about the DD Terminators, but I have always been curious (and have done LOTS of searching) about the reliability of our cars once they get higher on the mileage.

I have 90k Right now, I truly can tell that the car was well maintained by the previous owner(s) because the car shows like it has 30k, and I am not kidding. The motor is strong, the suspension is great with no noises or issues, I have nothing to complain about at all.

I feel like if I take very good care of her, as she was in the past I can drive her another 90k. The truth is though, I am a little bit bothered by the mileage, the fact that I see guys with 40-50k replacing motors because they spun a bearing, baffles me. Also the value of the car when I go over the 100k mark? Will I take a beating? (not that I have plans to ever sell but god forbid I need the money)

If I did not see or know the mileage and I thought it had 30-40k I guess I wouldnt even care, even though like I said the car shows like it has 30-40k. Can I still throw on a whipple? can I give this car 17psi of boost? I will of course check the compression, but anyone around the 100k mark throw on a whipple and supporting mods and see what it does at the track? I am good for a few 1/4 mile runs a year but mostly a cruiser.

I would like to see/hear of anyone out there who still "drives" their cars with the higher mileage and do not think about it. :pop:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
mine is rock solid dependable at 108k, and i drive it pretty hard most of the time. i keep an eye on the torque of the plugs regularly, but the engine is still very strong.

tob's, clutches, brakes, tires are my main maintenance expenses. if i had the dough for a kenne bell i would put it on right now without a second thought.

SpectorV

Established Member
you never know, if you modify it heavily and raise the hp/tq a ton you may be fine you may not~ you just have to take that risk.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Doesn't really answer your question fully but stock these cars can last for a lifetime IF they are properly maintained, hotcobras 300k mile cobra is an example of that. Not counting regular maintenance along with wear and tear these motors are built exceptionally well. Now adding boost and pushing them to the limits you are understandably increasing your chances of future problems. Don't want to say they are ticking time bombs but definitely are more susceptible to issues. But yes, I have seen KB cobras over the 110k mile mark producing good numbers and have no problems.

Its a crap shoot sometimes. Even though a car may look like its been taken care of, you never really know how the owner treated it. Some owners use cheap oil and run it more times at the track than they tell you...a lot of supposed 'grandpa shifters' out there if you know what I mean.

Even though its difficult to hurt these motors, adding a t/s or getting the car close to 600hp or going higher is still a lot of stress to subject that motor to. A lot of folks like to down play the effect of greater hp but I believe its something you have to watch carefully if you are looking for engine longevity. Even if you get a 'safe tune' you have no guarantee that motor won;t let go soon if you up that power too much.

With all that being said, I would go t/s if I really just got plain bored with 500hp. Its hard too though because 500 to the wheels makes this car no slouch.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Its a crap shoot sometimes. Even though a car may look like its been taken care of, you never really know how the owner treated it. Some owners use cheap oil and run it more times at the track than they tell you...a lot of supposed 'grandpa shifters' out there if you know what I mean.

Even though its difficult to hurt these motors, adding a t/s or getting the car close to 600hp or going higher is still a lot of stress to subject that motor to. A lot of folks like to down play the effect of greater hp but I believe its something you have to watch carefully if you are looking for engine longevity. Even if you get a 'safe tune' you have no guarantee that motor won;t let go soon if you up that power too much.

With all that being said, I would go t/s if I really just got plain bored with 500hp. Its hard too though because 500 to the wheels makes this car no slouch.

Agreed! I think it's a crap shoot most of the time. Ford specs on compression are pretty lenient. The compression spec is above 135 psi, and also the lowest compression cylinder needs to be no less than 75% of the highest. I have two lower cylinders, but they are still within ford spec.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I think that it depends on how it was broken in, on how it will last.. I've been "hard" on my engine, it doesn't burn any oil, and 103K miles so far..

I've done stuff to it, that people on here would freak out over, and say there's no way it should be alive, but.... 30-160 in 6th gear WOT, numerous times bouncing off the speed governor when I had it.. shifting from 3rd to 2nd at redline and letting clutch out (on accident, didn't hurt anything) 20 miles averaging 155 on the freeway..

hotcobra03

Established Member
its alot on the driver also...you can blow up a stock cobra just as fast...

i have a hard enough time keeping wheels from spinning with just 400hp..i dont need more power..i need grip...

grip a stock cobra and you see mid 12`s...im ok with that..as a DD..

im more amazed the rest of the car is holding up...paint bites but other than brakes/bearings/gears ive only changed front frame mount bushings and rear inner toe links.front of diff bushings/front sub frame bolts.

they just paved the road to our sub division..car has been 4wheeling everyday down a rocky dusty very bumpy road thats 2 mins long...i would break front pads loose from calipers all the time...

as a dd i would bank the money for when car does break...everything is a 1000+ repair unless you do your own repairs

how long is your drive daily?hwy/city?

ours was 40 miles all highway @80mph..than city when there 12 miles at a crawl...this was just to work...we went out after some nites..food store was a 30 mile rd trip..we live in the sticks...than wensday nite at the track the first 3yrs

so for me I DONT WANT TO BREAKDOWN ON THE ROAD...my hoods up every weekend to clean and fix any small issues that start

Ddawg18

Established Member
its alot on the driver also...you can blow up a stock cobra just as fast...

i have a hard enough time keeping wheels from spinning with just 400hp..i dont need more power..i need grip...

grip a stock cobra and you see mid 12`s...im ok with that..as a DD..

im more amazed the rest of the car is holding up...paint bites but other than brakes/bearings/gears ive only changed front frame mount bushings and rear inner toe links.front of diff bushings/front sub frame bolts.

they just paved the road to our sub division..car has been 4wheeling everyday down a rocky dusty very bumpy road thats 2 mins long...i would break front pads loose from calipers all the time...

as a dd i would bank the money for when car does break...everything is a 1000+ repair unless you do your own repairs

how long is your drive daily?hwy/city?

ours was 40 miles all highway @80mph..than city when there 12 miles at a crawl...this was just to work...we went out after some nites..food store was a 30 mile rd trip..we live in the sticks...than wensday nite at the track the first 3yrs

so for me I DONT WANT TO BREAKDOWN ON THE ROAD...my hoods up every weekend to clean and fix any small issues that start

You my friend are a pioneer! :rockon:

I daily drive it in the sense that I take it for a drive every day. I work from home, so if I want to get out of the house then I take it to the store, or out for a cruise every now and then. I feel like I have to drive it every day though! I have a leased car for a real DD and to take the baby to my inlaws or to the mall or out to dinner with the wife etc.

I did purchase with higher mileage because of affordability. For almost $20k (and the occaisonal car that comes along cheaper) you will get a lower mileage car. The other cars that i looked at with 40k, even 20k, were not in the condition of this car. So I felt that this was my best bet to get a car with 89k for about 15k being that I have showroom paint (with the exception of 2 small rock chips) and nothing needed on the car but a driver, along with the mods that I would have already done (styling bar, tinted headlights, pulley, tune, exhaust, CAI)

My wife LOVES to drive the car, so its nice to have a comfortable reliable car for her to drive when she may want to take it out, or to work. We have a garage where it stays took, so that will help the preserve the condition. I do MOST of my own work on my cars as well, although I am hesitant with this car for whatever reason.

hotcobra03

Established Member
whipple and supporting mods are going to be how much?

parts,labor,tune

go for it whats the worst that can happen...

for a daily starter i would have looked for a cobra with mods already for 17grand

Last edited:

Ddawg18

Established Member
whipple and supporting mods are going to be how much?

parts,labor,tune

go for it whats the worst that can happen...

for a daily starter i would have looked for a cobra with mods already for 17grand

A blown motor! :pop:

But I feel in my heart all will be good. I think I will have the blower ported and add the supporing mods and spend the money on the suspension like you said.

Do you Baby your car? Or have you given it a beaten recently? And when I say beaten, I mean any WOT pull to almost 6k? I am curious to know.

ALso is your car rattling apart?

hotcobra03

Established Member
A blown motor! :pop:

But I feel in my heart all will be good. I think I will have the blower ported and add the supporing mods and spend the money on the suspension like you said.

Do you Baby your car? Or have you given it a beaten recently? And when I say beaten, I mean any WOT pull to almost 6k? I am curious to know.

ALso is your car rattling apart?

6k? lol i still bounce off limiter...im glad its there

i dont do stupid burnouts,or 1/4 mile strip starts,,,but have no problem with going over 100 every time im in it...

example for you ,,picture the gsp from 130-172 with no tolls or traffic or cops....and a cobra

Users who are viewing this thread