Highest speed you get your tires loose??

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Hey guys/gals i was just curious what is the highest speed you can break your tires loose at?? What H.P. are you putting down? i will probably going with a 2.93 pulley and i am curious as to what kind of traction (or lack of) i will have when cruising around town.! :beer: Plus i think it is pretty badass when somebody can just stomp it at 35 M.P.H.+ and break em loose!!

Power Trip

Established Member
When its hot out(summer) i can break them loose in 1st, but it hooks fine in second on street tires. When its cold like it is now, say 0-15 degrees it can be VERY scary. I got a little sidways in 4th gear, and i said thats enough, drove it home and parked it.

#'s are in the sig.. At the track on DR's i have NO traction issues at all.

Silver 03 Cobra

I haven't driven my 03 much since I put a KB on it before Thanksgiving. I took it out this morning since it had been several days since I drove it. We have had a mild winter. This was the coldest it has seen with the KB. It's making 614 rwhp SAE and 528 rwt. I also run a 3.90 gear. I live in W. NC in the foothills and it was in the low 20's by far the coldest I have driven it with the KB. All I can say is I have as much respect for this car as past sportbikes I driven with 180 HP at the tire. At 50-60 mph all I had to do was mash it slightly to get it loose. Not even floor it. If I mashed it hard it would redline and my shift light would light up instantly it rolled the tires so quick. In third at 80 it would get loose. I can't wait to get it on a track next spring.

yellow 04 cobra

Established Member
LG2004Redfire said:
70mph-95mph then it will hook
YOU MUST BE ON SOME SHIT TIRES! THATS ALMOST HARD TO BELIEVE. MINE MAKES 515HP TO THE GROUND AND IF I HIT IT IN THIRD IT WILL SPIN FOR A SPLIT SECOND THEN HOO BUT ALMOST 100.....C'MON

Silver 03 Cobra

yellow 04 cobra said:
YOU MUST BE ON SOME SHIT TIRES! THATS ALMOST HARD TO BELIEVE. MINE MAKES 515HP TO THE GROUND AND IF I HIT IT IN THIRD IT WILL SPIN FOR A SPLIT SECOND THEN HOO BUT ALMOST 100.....C'MON

He's making 572 rwt. On the stock F1's it will do it. I had trouble with my dump valve actuator on my KB. There is still something wrong with it but it will have to be this spring before I can replace it. I don't make the boost I should. I have a lower pulley. A lower will give you about 2-3 more psi than it would on an Eaton. I have a two pound lower I replaced my four lower with and a 15 pound upper for the KB. I unplugged my dump valve early in December on the interstate. It was in the upper 30's. I hit it in fourth at 80 mph and my boost gauge went straight to 21 psi :loser:. I had to peddle the throttle all the way to 120 before it would hook. My tune is for 17 psi so when I replace the dump valve I'll have to get another tune or drop to a 13 psi pulley on the KB. I run 315 BFG KD's with a 200 tread rating. The KD's are a big tire.

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
Well i haven't had my car in the warm weather yet but so far 1st gear useless just spins, 2nd gear spins but then catches. Now if i'm on the highway going about 40 in 4th gear drop it to second then it will go a little bit sideways on me. I'm not to hard on my car and i've only done that a few times but you have to get to know what your car can do. So i've only done it a few times. Can't wait untill the summer hopefully i'll have my solid rear in with the 4.10's this is going to be fun :rolling:.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
With my procharger, i had a tough time hooking until the top of 3rd. It would spin the tires easily @ 70+ mph on 315 Nitto Drag radials and a warm road. This was with over 600rwhp

Now with 500rwhp, i can stab it @ around 50mph and lay a good 100+feet of rubber. I also had a solid axle and 3.73s, the rear of the car is much lighter then an IRS car and spins like hell. Traction is very tough for me. I am currently working on my suspension to help it plant better.

I took the car out for $hits and giggles the other night. It was about 15* F out, i was rolling in 4th around 2500-3000 RPM, went WOT and blew the tires off with ease stabbing it in 4th gear. But that was due to the cold weather

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I spun my tires about 2 weeks ago at 70 mph, and kicked my rear out a bit. I near shat myself. <------Stock F1's here....until this weekend anyway.

Last edited:

Fast Willy

Established Member
I'd say about 50 or 60 I still on the stock F1's lol. And since the mods dont like to get one it until I'm up to speed or get my new tires.

MY DREAM

Established Member
yellow 04 cobra said:

Not hard to believe, Anything above 2,000 RPM's in second I can floor it and just start spinning. Third gear I floor it around 3,000 and it to will start spinning. This is all on the stock F1's.

James

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
i must have something wrong with my car i cant get it to break loose i have to rev it up about 7000rmp and dump the clutch to get mine to break loose :D :D :D :D :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
When I only had intake/exhaust, I spun them at just under 100. Over course it was only 4 degrees outside, on the F1's, so that was not under normal conditions.

With intake/exhaust/chip at 436rwhp, and 285 GS-D3's, I could spin em barely in second if it was cold. If it was hot out, there were times when I could dead hook in first.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I think you are going to see a big difference from the DR guys and the F1 guys. I can't even spin mine at all.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Completely stock down to the F1's save for a catback. Breaks loose in first at pretty much any RPM over half throttle, begins to loosen up at the top of second and third under WOT.

I went WOT at 80 MPH on the interstate just to see what would happen with a 6000 RPM aggressive clutch release (getting the advantage from a roll if it ever happened) and it went sideways and pegged the limiter for a couple seconds. Scared the traffic around me something fierce, although I had at least a car buffer all the way around.

S/CCobra03

Established Member
CarpetCityCobra said:
Completely stock down to the F1's save for a catback. Breaks loose in first at pretty much any RPM over half throttle, begins to loosen up at the top of second and third under WOT.

I went WOT at 80 MPH on the interstate just to see what would happen with a 6000 RPM aggressive clutch release (getting the advantage from a roll if it ever happened) and it went sideways and pegged the limiter for a couple seconds. Scared the traffic around me something fierce, although I had at least a car buffer all the way around.

So you're saying that your stock (cat-back only) Cobra broke the tires loose at 80mph?

Users who are viewing this thread