Highway cruising in Roush TVS Supercharged Mustang

allicedout

Established Member
So recently had a Roush TVS installed on my 2011 Mustang. Took approx 5 revisions from my tuner to get the car to idle correctly, anyhow that's all solved, car drives great. Last night driving to a car meet on the highway I noticed when cruising at highway speeds the car feels like it's hesitating. It'll be fine then for a second or two it feels like it's holding back then back to normal for a few seconds then holding back. If at a higher rpm or heavier on the throttle no issue. It only happens when I'm feathering the throttle to maintain that 70-75mph speed. Not sure what it is, as far as components it's a Roush TVS, 82mm pulley, FRPP 52lbs injectors and VMP BAP. Any help is appreciated.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'd guess and it's an educated guess that it's your cheap injectors. Not bashing you but I wouldn't supercharge one of these cars without doing id1000s simply for the reasons you state. Idle and normal drivability issues have been reported before with anything less than the 1000s. Just an idea

allicedout

Established Member
I'd guess and it's an educated guess that it's your cheap injectors. Not bashing you but I wouldn't supercharge one of these cars without doing id1000s simply for the reasons you state. Idle and normal drivability issues have been reported before with anything less than the 1000s. Just an idea

Hey man I appreciate the input, I'm new to this and the kit was purchased used so I'm open and appreciative of all suggestions and bashing.

466roller

Established Member
It's tune related. Get a datalog of the car when it's happening and send it to your tuner with a clear explanation of how it "feels" it may take a few revisions but it can be worked out. I had a similar issue when I first put mine on also

demas

Established Member
To me it sounds like 100% tune related. I'm sure it can be solve, try contact your tuner.

Vert

Established Member
I just noticed this on my VMP SC 14. Took it on its first long trip since install and I had the same issue. I alao noticed when the cruise was set, the idle would surge just a little.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Could be anything. Could be the injectors as someone else stated, could be the tune or the fact that the kit was used. Or, a combo of all three. I'm thinking it's the injectors and the tune, by the sounds of it. A datalog would help the tuner fine tune it.
Who is currently tuning the car?

Zemedici

Established Member
Sounds like surging, and due to the issues you're having with your tuner that would be my best bet.....

baldtaco

Established Member
I just noticed this on my VMP SC 14. Took it on its first long trip since install and I had the same issue. I alao noticed when the cruise was set, the idle would surge just a little.
If you have a JLT on it make sure the filter is pulled as close to the edge as possible, like 1/2 inch from edge or so and test again.

cjd223

Established Member
id say find a new tuner
Justin Starkey for the win. He has hit every one of my tunes dead nuts on the first try. You don't need ID1000s at your level. Waste of money. I ran 56# Ford injectors with a 75mm pulley and no BAP for months without any issues. Computer was removing fuel at 7,200 rpms. Car drove like stock. I did run 96 octane fuel = 93 + Lucas.

Vert

Established Member
If you have a JLT on it make sure the filter is pulled as close to the edge as possible, like 1/2 inch from edge or so and test again.

That was checked after my install since i had surging idle bad after my 1st rev tune. Im thinking my vent to atmosphere catch can could be causing some of my issues. It seems at times my car is being held back when I go WOT at times.

5lho

Established Member
Waddya mean a vent to atmo catch can? That sounds like a big vac leak to me, if it's still connected to the manifold.

Vert

Established Member
Waddya mean a vent to atmo catch can? That sounds like a big vac leak to me, if it's still connected to the manifold.

No, manifold, SC and intake are all capped. I just have the pass and drivers heads vented into the can.

allicedout

Established Member
It's tune related. Get a datalog of the car when it's happening and send it to your tuner with a clear explanation of how it "feels" it may take a few revisions but it can be worked out. I had a similar issue when I first put mine on also

To me it sounds like 100% tune related. I'm sure it can be solve, try contact your tuner.

Could be anything. Could be the injectors as someone else stated, could be the tune or the fact that the kit was used. Or, a combo of all three. I'm thinking it's the injectors and the tune, by the sounds of it. A datalog would help the tuner fine tune it.
Who is currently tuning the car?

Sounds like surging, and due to the issues you're having with your tuner that would be my best bet.....

Did some datalogging on the weekend and was able send my tuner a file. Thanks for the input guys hoping to have this resolved before Woodward. I wanted to ask does this effect my base tune? Should I not be getting on the throttle and boosting the car? Other then the issue I've mentioned everything else seems to be fine. Any thoughts?

mhyjek

Established Member
Did some datalogging on the weekend and was able send my tuner a file. Thanks for the input guys hoping to have this resolved before Woodward. I wanted to ask does this effect my base tune? Should I not be getting on the throttle and boosting the car? Other then the issue I've mentioned everything else seems to be fine. Any thoughts?
Was it tuned on the dyno?

Users who are viewing this thread