Holley EFI users….need timing table help

01yellercobra

Established Member
Partially that and partially I'm on the lazy side. You can ramp it in if you want as the same pedal angle is going to give the same boost level each time. But for me it's easier to have it all locked in at one setting.

And like you said, usually if I'm passing half throttle I'm heading to WOT.

q6543

Established Member
You need to creep up on all this, you can really do some damage otherwise.

I would start at 28* total tops and dial back through there.

Especially on 93, you'll need either a dyno, or the dragstrips to verify you are actually Making gains.

I'm also a big fan of cutting and reading plugs for AFR lines and spark marks.

What are your AFR targets?

CobraSam

Established Member
Partially that and partially I'm on the lazy side. You can ramp it in if you want as the same pedal angle is going to give the same boost level each time. But for me it's easier to have it all locked in at one setting.

And like you said, usually if I'm passing half throttle I'm heading to WOT.
Ok got it. Makes sense.

CobraSam

Established Member
You need to creep up on all this, you can really do some damage otherwise.

I would start at 28* total tops and dial back through there.

Especially on 93, you'll need either a dyno, or the dragstrips to verify you are actually Making gains.

I'm also a big fan of cutting and reading plugs for AFR lines and spark marks.

What are your AFR targets?
Ok, so start at 28 as a max timing in any cell essentially and then ramp down based on the calculations you gave me? Holleys max number for N/A 4.6 is 36degrees. I used that table to then build a booster table, which is what I posted.
I will definitely be getting this car to a dyno tuner, problem is, there aren’t any dyno tuners near me that know the Holley system.

I also agree about looking at spark plugs, I’m doing that as well.

Target A/F table is attached.

I’m gonna educate myself on timing on these cars. Foxbodies I can handle, these 4.6’s aren’t as easy. Haha. Thanks

Attachments

• EE92487B-21E6-4F3A-A9BB-CF864A539380.jpeg
    EE92487B-21E6-4F3A-A9BB-CF864A539380.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 47

CobraSam

Established Member
Ok, I’ve got the top timing at 28 and also fully understand now what you are saying about that. Makes sense now after more research.
Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
Personally I'd put the 0.5psi at 12.0 and everything above it at 11.5.

That's weird that Holley has a limit on how much timing you can run. But I guess it helps keep people from blowing stuff up.

In a couple months you'll be wondering why you didn't get into tuning your car yourself sooner.

CobraSam

Established Member
Personally I'd put the 0.5psi at 12.0 and everything above it at 11.5.

That's weird that Holley has a limit on how much timing you can run. But I guess it helps keep people from blowing stuff up.

In a couple months you'll be wondering why you didn't get into tuning your car yourself sooner.
You’re talking about my a/F table right? I touched it up a bit. I kept it little more on the safe side for now. One thing at a time here. Haha

I think I have a timing table figured out.

Attachments

• 0AE0BEB4-4643-42A2-8B74-8F5DFAD9A46B.jpeg
    0AE0BEB4-4643-42A2-8B74-8F5DFAD9A46B.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 53

q6543

Established Member
Look up "Joe Simpson tuning" on YouTube.
He has hundreds of videos tuning cars, alot of different setups, bit he goes over holley pretty extensively, you'll pick up quite a bit from seeing how and what he does.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You’re talking about my a/F table right? I touched it up a bit. I kept it little more on the safe side for now. One thing at a time here. Haha

I think I have a timing table figured out.
Sorry, yes. I was referring to the A/F table.

I tend to tune on the conservative side.

CobraSam

Established Member
I’ve watched a ton of his stuff. He’s great. Believe it or not I understand most of the Holley. It’s just the timing table that gets me. But I’ve learned quite a bit and I think that latest table is close.
I used Holley N/A numbers and created boost numbers based off the 1* of timing per psi. So if I have it correctly, 28* at 100Kpa minus 15psi would leave me with 13* timing. Am I understanding this correctly? Does my table show that I’ve learned anything? Haha

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's another formula I usually go by. I think it's from Lasota. He bases it off 17psi and 17 degrees of timing on pump gas. At 17psi you should be able to run up to 17 degrees of timing if you raise one, then lower the other. IE if you go up to 20psi then drop the timing to 14 degrees. Which with what I went through with my Whipple it works pretty well.

I didn't go over your timing in detail as I'm at work. but it looks like a good start. IMO, if you're running 15psi on the eaton you're going to end up at 17 or 18 degrees of timing. But 13 is a good place to start to make sure everything is good.

CobraSam

Established Member
Ok got it. If you get a chance mind taking a closer look?
I really wanna thank you guys for the help and patience, it’s really appreciated. More than you know, lol.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the Y axis PSI or kPa? I think you should bring the timing you have for WOT down to the 0.0 point. That should be when it starts seeing boost. If it's anything like the Haltech. The rest looks decent to me. I don't know if you have any logs yet, but you might want to see where the engine sits during cruising so you know where the part throttle timing as at as well.

CobraSam

Established Member
I can switch between Kpa and psi. That picture is psi. So from 100KpA don’t bother ramping the timing? Just set it all at the same WOT timing. Say 15-17*?
Also I can log as well as look at live data. My cruising points are in the highlighted area. What should that timing number be, about?

Attachments

• A7427A7C-07C5-4B0E-BC2F-6243B57ACD1C.jpeg
    A7427A7C-07C5-4B0E-BC2F-6243B57ACD1C.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 42

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's how I have mine set up. You don't have to lock it if you want to try ramping it, but I wouldn't run that much timing on pump gas and boost. But like I said, I tune really conservative.

IMO those are good cruising numbers.

CobraSam

Established Member
Alright, will do. time to do some driving, then I’ll check plugs and see what’s going on. Thanks again, big help.

Users who are viewing this thread