Holley PowerShot filter for 03 Cobra

B

blown03cobra

Holley Powershot Filter AKA K&N,,,,, umm thanks for the pic?:beer:

Cobra'03

Established Member
It is also known as Track Flow in more recent boxes.

It is not aka K&N - Holley stresses that it uses American-sourced cotton while K&N uses asian-sourced, and that the US stuff has more whiskers - it also has more pleats, yielding more surface area so it should even flow better.

Plus, it is Ford Blue - I am looking at one as I write this - it is in my den waiting delivery of my car, which VOPC says was produced this week!

hoodedsnake

Established Member
What Cobra'03 Said. They ARE different.

The blue FRPP filter is an aka K&N, maybe you have those two confused blown03, no flames intended.

Last edited:

WesStang

Established Member
Yeah, if you compare a K&N to a Holley side-by-side...there's no real comparison. Better fit, finish, quality...color me pleased!

mds370

Established Member
I've had my Holley Track flow filter for about 2 weeks now. Has anyone noticed the color change from Blue to white? Could it need to be oiled so soon? My friend has the same filter in his 03 also, and his has turned white also.

Cobra'03

Established Member
No - I would say it is more likely just a heat or humidity unstable blue dye - I'd give Holley the feedback on their website and also ask them. pinch the filter pleats - if you see oil residue, you are oiled ok. So while I agree on the fit n finish being better, it appears the K&N COLOR holds truer. Too close to Bpwtie Red for me. ;-)

WesStang

Established Member
Yeah, the blue dye doesn't hold up very well...but don't worry about it...it's oiled. It's better to be a little under-oiled than over-oiled!

B

blown03cobra

Why would the blue dye in the power shot "fade" and not in the K&N??? the reason I ask is that I dont want any oil, or anything for that matter getting on my MAF

WesStang

Established Member
Regarding the mass-air sensor...the Holley oil is a more refined grade of oil, and is designed to be MASS-AIR SENSOR SAFE. The K&N oil is not...in fact, if a Ford dealer sees a K&N filter on a car, and the mass-air sensor is damaged, they won't warranty the sensor. Not so with the Holley filter.

hoodedsnake

Established Member
Westang?
Do you know if they would pull the same crap if you have the FRPP filter installed. I bought this one and noticed it's a K&N filter supllied to Ford with blue filter color. Why are they selling a filter that voids their own warranty?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Has anyone here actually had an MAF damaged by using a K&N filter? I had one on my '86 GT for years (with MAF conversion kit) w/ absolutely no problems at all. Also, K&N makes reference to some legal case that states unless a car manufacturer provides you with free filters, it can't void your warranty just because you use aftermarket parts.

WesStang

Established Member
Has anyone here actually had an MAF damaged by using a K&N filter?

I believe the problem only arises if a K&N filter is over-oiled.

Why are they selling a filter that voids their own warranty?
See above...the problem is that the oil is a lower grade, and will only cause a problem if it is over-oiled. However, if the sensor fails, it's just a good reason for the service department to deny a claim...realisitcally, I don't think there would ever be a problem, but it doesn't hurt.

i8u

Established Member
How would you get the oil out of one that was over oiled? The reason I ask is because there was extra oil residue in the bag mine came in. I haven't used it yet as I am waiting to get my stock baseline. :beer:

WesStang

Established Member
Don't worry about that extra oil on the bag. We're talking SERIOUS over-oiling...like dripping ;)

mds370

Established Member
Response from Holley aboout trackflow

I e-mailed Holley tech a few days ago and I got a response tongiht.

I was told that they have never seen one turn white unless it was after it was cleaned and before it was re oiled.

I mentioned in my first letter that the filter was new and installed out of the box. My reply stated this fact again and that if they shouldn't be white, where is the oil going? We will see what the next reply is.

I didn't see any directions saying that the filter should be pre oiled before use, nor did the filter come with a bottle of oil to do so.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by WesStang
Regarding the mass-air sensor...the Holley oil is a more refined grade of oil, and is designed to be MASS-AIR SENSOR SAFE. The K&N oil is not...in fact, if a Ford dealer sees a K&N filter on a car, and the mass-air sensor is damaged, they won't warranty the sensor. Not so with the Holley filter.
I have to play devil's advocate here. If your dealer is a pric# you will have a battle on your hands getting them to warranty your MAF, assuming it breaks, if you have anything aftermarket upstream. Some dealers are cool and some are not. Caveat emptor (buyer beware).

WesStang

Established Member
The dye in the Holley filters have been known to fade a little, and sometimes turn blue-green...but your filter shouldn't be white.

They come pre-oiled. If it is totally white, I would re-oil it with P/N 100-10 oil. Give that a try...

Users who are viewing this thread