holmes on homes

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
dumb question here. do the home owners have to pay for the repairs that he finds or are they able to sue the original inspectors that inspected the house improperly? what a nightmare some of these things are...

20redfire03

Established Member
Don't have an answer to your question but when I have watched his show and he points out everything that is done wrong, I wish he would or at least the homeowners would say who did the job wrong the first time so that someone else doesn't get screwed over.

DRAGUL

Established Member
They had a behind the scenes show and if I remember correctly the homeowners do pay, but I think it was a reduced price. I do not know if you own a house, but when you hire a home inspector it will say in their contract that they can not be held liable. Feel bad for some of these people as it has happened to me. Lawyer told me these exact words "Chalk it up to a learning experience".

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
thats kind of what im getting at, i can see why they cant throw them under the bus on TV. but at least let us know if they hammer them by suing them or whatever is done locally.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I believe in buyer beware. I understand the home inspector should do his/her job correctly but it's not their money and they could care less. People should do a little homework before buying a house and know what questions to ask and what to make sure is checked out. In this day, we all have the information at our fingertips and having the inspection should just be an added safety step.

Some things, like hidden mold and rotted wood, I understand may not be seen by the everyday home buyer. But a lot of his shows, I see open red flags that anyone buying the home should also see. Like a porch that's collapsing, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, etc. People need to accept some responsibility too when buying a home.

oldmodman

Established Member
Almost all the labor and materials are either donated for a mention on a nationwide show (free advertising) or are given at a highly discounted price. The show itself pays for a great deal of the labor and materials through their own advertisers.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Don't have an answer to your question but when I have watched his show and he points out everything that is done wrong, I wish he would or at least the homeowners would say who did the job wrong the first time so that someone else doesn't get screwed over.

Definitely not an option. While some of the inspectors blatantly miss things that should be fixed, some of the minor things he fixes are things that are within code, but may not be the best way to build something.

Being the son of a home builder, watching this show gets under my skin. While the vast majority of his homes that he inspects are pretty old, new homes that are built are definitely built to code and he makes it seem like even code isn't good enough. Unfortunately, if everything was built to withstand an F5 tornado (obviously I'm exaggerating), housing prices would be through the roof and even the middle class wouldn't be able to afford one. There are definitely some shitty builders and home inspectors out there, but code is all that is required and there are many people who don't/won't pay for upgrades that make a home safer if they don't see a direct benefit. If somebody is going to pay for an "upgrade" they feel that it better be something that they can see.

dooberGN

Established Member
Definitely not an option. While some of the inspectors blatantly miss things that should be fixed, some of the minor things he fixes are things that are within code, but may not be the best way to build something.

Being the son of a home builder, watching this show gets under my skin. While the vast majority of his homes that he inspects are pretty old, new homes that are built are definitely built to code and he makes it seem like even code isn't good enough. Unfortunately, if everything was built to withstand an F5 tornado (obviously I'm exaggerating), housing prices would be through the roof and even the middle class wouldn't be able to afford one. There are definitely some shitty builders and home inspectors out there, but code is all that is required and there are many people who don't/won't pay for upgrades that make a home safer if they don't see a direct benefit. If somebody is going to pay for an "upgrade" they feel that it better be something that they can see.

350465.jpg

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

lol they were through the roof. Some of the houses he goes to were $500k homes when they were built.

most of the shit he fixes are blatant disregard for common sense building practices, whether its to code or not. The other of what he fixes are just either pure laziness on a builder/contractors part or ignorance and their unwillingness to fix it to make it right.

LSUstang05

Established Member
most of the shit he fixes are blatant disregard for common sense building practices, whether its to code or not. The other of what he fixes are just either pure laziness on a builder/contractors part or ignorance and their unwillingness to fix it to make it right.

Don't get me wrong, what he fixes needs to be fixed. I just don't like the fact that he makes it seem that all builders are worthless and don't know what they are doing and he is the only one that has a clue. Some of the shit he walks in to is common sense for anybody and if somebody with half a brain looked at it, they wouldn't buy it. In one of the episodes I saw, he had to fix a room that had an in-wall bank of something like 30 120v sockets. These sockets had extension cords that were powering something two rooms over. I'm sorry, but if you see something like that in a home and still go through and purchase the home, you deserve everything that comes with it.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Don't get me wrong, what he fixes needs to be fixed. I just don't like the fact that he makes it seem that all builders are worthless and don't know what they are doing and he is the only one that has a clue. Some of the shit he walks in to is common sense for anybody and if somebody with half a brain looked at it, they wouldn't buy it. In one of the episodes I saw, he had to fix a room that had an in-wall bank of something like 30 120v sockets. These sockets had extension cords that were powering something two rooms over. I'm sorry, but if you see something like that in a home and still go through and purchase the home, you deserve everything that comes with it.

:beer:That was my point in my earlier post. People need to educate themselves and stop blaming others for their incompetence.

blk96SVT

Established Member
I believe in buyer beware. I understand the home inspector should do his/her job correctly but it's not their money and they could care less. People should do a little homework before buying a house and know what questions to ask and what to make sure is checked out. In this day, we all have the information at our fingertips and having the inspection should just be an added safety step.

Some things, like hidden mold and rotted wood, I understand may not be seen by the everyday home buyer. But a lot of his shows, I see open red flags that anyone buying the home should also see. Like a porch that's collapsing, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, etc. People need to accept some responsibility too when buying a home.

Some of the episodes are about bad remodel jobs not 100% completed by a contractor too. Its not all about people not realizing a porch is collapsing and still purchase the home anyway.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Don't get me wrong, what he fixes needs to be fixed. I just don't like the fact that he makes it seem that all builders are worthless and don't know what they are doing and he is the only one that has a clue.

How boring do you think it would be if they showed nothing but well build homes?

Having poor construction is too common to pass up, there's probably more bad contractors out there than good. I know it's like that in my area.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
I saw the "behind the scenes" episodes and the show (HGTV or whomever) pays for some and Mike Holmes also puts in his own money for the repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread