Holy hell mac book's are expensive

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
ive never understood all the srious fanboys of either windows or mac.. its like a religious debate between bible thumpers and athiests.. its rather silly. Ive been working in IT for 12 years professionally in a corporate environment. I have managed in excess of 400 pc's. I would definitely say that I had more knowledge of windows, however I still wanted something different. I didnt want to be restrained to knowing only one OS. So 5 years ago i built a hackintosh. Ive run that hackintosh every day fpr 5 years and its been a great machine. OSX and I didnt get along well at all at first. I KNEW where everything was in windows and I felt pretty helpless in the advanced side of OSX. Its hard to go from an expert to a user, not even a power user..LOL

However, I liked OSX and I wanted to learn it entirely. Ive had great luck out of it and have really enjoyed the simplicity of common tasks on the mac. I just replaced my hackintosh with a new imac. I PREFER mac OS over windows. I have far less bugs/glitches/issues with mac OS than I ever did with windows on a user or administrative level. But i also stress that I PREFER OSX.

In my educated opinion I find OSX a more efficient OS than any version of windows. Windows 7 is great and is leaps and bounds over every version of windows (although im still a windows 2000 fan still to this day). IMHO there isnt a real agument about i got a better pc for less money... when the OS itself is more efficient there isnt a real comparison between internal specs. A prius is a terd... no one will argue that in the performance market, however it will smoke a sherman tank and they had over 1000hp. the specs vs the fat of the OS are a power to weight ratio argument.. and we all know you cant argue power to weight. The only real argument is IF someone doesnt think OSX is a more efficient OS. We all know mac is over priced, but to those of us that like it for everything it offers, that price, within reason, is well worth it.

Planter

Banned
LOL, this is why nobody takes you seriously.

This NEW $350 Toshiba laptop has a microphone built in, and so does my wifes 2+ year old Dell.

Also, my Xbox360 hasn't ever been connected to a network that wasn't WPA2 secured.

Go on though, you're really doing a good job in showing the MAC fanbois know what they are talking about.:bored::rolleyes:

Hooray for the wifeys laptop having a microphone and webcam. The majority do, my point is most pc desktops dont have them built in. Macs do. The few pc's i have found that do are the all in one desktops made by hewlett packard and ive seen them on an acer or two. But none have the ability to record what you are doing on your screen whether in a program, or a live webcam video conference, etc. Mac has that ability.

Ive been researching the xbox360 connecting to a router with wpa2 security vua wireless. It appears the first versions of the xbox360 that came out, wont connect to routers with wpa2 security. The newer versions will, but ive tried on my friends xbox360 because he was wanting to secure his network and it wont connect at all. Ive opened every port thats supposed to be opened in the router port forwarding configuration and it still wont connect wirelessly. Password is right, everything else is setup correctly, but its not working.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
But none have the ability to record what you are doing on your screen whether in a program, or a live webcam video conference, etc. Mac has that ability.

Any PC with a better intel, nvidia or ATI catalyst driver set will have the ability to do this.

My 2004 Dell Dimension 2400 had the ability to do this.

Stop talking out the ass.

Ive been researching the xbox360 connecting to a router with wpa2 security vua wireless. It appears the first versions of the xbox360 that came out, wont connect to routers with wpa2 security. The newer versions will, but ive tried on my friends xbox360 because he was wanting to secure his network and it wont connect at all. Ive opened every port thats supposed to be opened in the router port forwarding configuration and it still wont connect wirelessly. Password is right, everything else is setup correctly, but its not working.

More user error. Lemme guess, its the 360's fault because its also a Microsoft product?

You need to go live with the amish dude, you obviously fail @ technology.

JasonSnake

Established Member

I've encountered a couple of wireless routers that had trouble dynamically assigning the IP address to certain wireless client (one of them was a Netgear router).

He should try assigning a static IP to it. You can't automatically assume the xbox is bad.

mach1child

Established Member
I've had two gateway laptops and one dell. I know Acer bought out Gateway a few years ago, I got my new gateway a few months ago. Its a EC19C07u, 3 GB DDR3, 320GB Hard drive, Dual Core Processor. It's just under 3lbs, works great for me if i have to take it into the garage and read some instructions. The only thing i have something negative about it is, the quality could be a bit better. But for around the house and the garage..it's perfect for me. WOULD recommend this netbook/laptop.

Planter

Banned
Thomas, im not saying its microsofts fault, im not sure if wpa2 was even available on consumer based routers when the first batch of xbox360's was released, but since you seem to be the almighty god of computer technology info and its just user error why dont you post up some links to a tutorial so i can get this thing working. Router is a linksys e-3200. Ive been on linksys support site and i couldnt find anything that worked.

It connects fine to wep security, but i use wpa2 because the security is a bit better than wep.

I've encountered a couple of wireless routers that had trouble dynamically assigning the IP address to certain wireless client (one of them was a Netgear router).

He should try assigning a static IP to it. You can't automatically assume the xbox is bad.

Ive tried that too and it never connects.

Planter

Banned
Any PC with a better intel, nvidia or ATI catalyst driver set will have the ability to do this.

My 2004 Dell Dimension 2400 had the ability to do this.

Stop talking out the ass.

They might had the ability, but they didnt come with the software to actually do it. You had to go buy a standalone program that would do it.

My mac is equipped with the software that allows you to do so.

stangliter04

Established Member
ive never understood all the srious fanboys of either windows or mac.. its like a religious debate between bible thumpers and athiests.. its rather silly. Ive been working in IT for 12 years professionally in a corporate environment. I have managed in excess of 400 pc's. I would definitely say that I had more knowledge of windows, however I still wanted something different. I didnt want to be restrained to knowing only one OS. So 5 years ago i built a hackintosh. Ive run that hackintosh every day fpr 5 years and its been a great machine. OSX and I didnt get along well at all at first. I KNEW where everything was in windows and I felt pretty helpless in the advanced side of OSX. Its hard to go from an expert to a user, not even a power user..LOL

However, I liked OSX and I wanted to learn it entirely. Ive had great luck out of it and have really enjoyed the simplicity of common tasks on the mac. I just replaced my hackintosh with a new imac. I PREFER mac OS over windows. I have far less bugs/glitches/issues with mac OS than I ever did with windows on a user or administrative level. But i also stress that I PREFER OSX.

In my educated opinion I find OSX a more efficient OS than any version of windows. Windows 7 is great and is leaps and bounds over every version of windows (although im still a windows 2000 fan still to this day). IMHO there isnt a real agument about i got a better pc for less money... when the OS itself is more efficient there isnt a real comparison between internal specs. A prius is a terd... no one will argue that in the performance market, however it will smoke a sherman tank and they had over 1000hp. the specs vs the fat of the OS are a power to weight ratio argument.. and we all know you cant argue power to weight. The only real argument is IF someone doesnt think OSX is a more efficient OS. We all know mac is over priced, but to those of us that like it for everything it offers, that price, within reason, is well worth it.

Well said :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
They might had the ability, but they didnt come with the software to actually do it. You had to go buy a standalone program that would do it.

My mac is equipped with the software that allows you to do so.

Since my dimension 2400 purchase in 2004, every graphics output device (external Nvidia/ATi or integrated intel) driver control panel has had a record mode to record everything going on on your screen. Drivers are free......

Just because you didnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it didnt exist.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I've never owned a PC that I had to trash due to problems? Nor have I ever had to spend anything over a 1000$ and that includes high end gaming machines:shrug:

Most window operated computers are user errors.

I'm being dead serious when I ask this next question since I'm now looking at getting a new computer here pretty soon. What computer is built with the same build quality as the Macbook Pro line?

I looked at the ASUS Zenbook with a 128gb SSD and Core i5 with 4GB of RAM but it was $999 and I could get a MacBook Air for $200 more than that and with a better build quality overall. So if you have any suggestions, please shoot me a PM or lead me in the right direction :beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I'm being dead serious when I ask this next question since I'm now looking at getting a new computer here pretty soon. What computer is built with the same build quality as the Macbook Pro line?
that's actually a tough question because, like thomas said, that is one thing that apple does damn well. apple are probably the leaders in build quality in each market segment they have a product in.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I looked at the ASUS Zenbook with a 128gb SSD and Core i5 with 4GB of RAM but it was $999 and I could get a MacBook Air for $200 more than that and with a better build quality overall. So if you have any suggestions, please shoot me a PM or lead me in the right direction :beer:

Apple dominates when it comes to physical product quality, fit and finish. You wont find another equivalent. We just started phasing out our huge archaic G4 towers at work for the tiny apple computers that are literally the size of a standard bay cd/dvd drive. These things are solid as a rock and have i5 processors, 4gb ddr3 and a pretty good integrated gpu from the looks of it. Im still trying to get the IT lady to let me dual boot with W7 or at least XP, theres alot of shit I do daily that I have to rely on our engineering team since the programs that the real corporate world uses are windows based. Talking sheet nesting and optimization programs, pallet packing optimizers, AutoCAD and SolidWorks. Real programs, not GarageBand faggotry.

My buddy ended up buying the Zenbook over the Macbook. Since he was going to put Win7 on it hed lose any warranty or hardware support the Mac has. To him the extra money and losing warranty wasnt worth the difference in fit and finish.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Apple dominates when it comes to physical product quality, fit and finish. You wont find another equivalent. We just started phasing out our huge archaic G4 towers at work for the tiny apple computers that are literally the size of a standard bay cd/dvd drive. These things are solid as a rock and have i5 processors, 4gb ddr3 and a pretty good integrated gpu from the looks of it. Im still trying to get the IT lady to let me dual boot with W7 or at least XP, theres alot of shit I do daily that I have to rely on our engineering team since the programs that the real corporate world uses are windows based. Talking sheet nesting and optimization programs, pallet packing optimizers, AutoCAD and SolidWorks. Real programs, not GarageBand faggotry.

My buddy ended up buying the Zenbook over the Macbook. Since he was going to put Win7 on it hed lose any warranty or hardware support the Mac has. To him the extra money and losing warranty wasnt worth the difference in fit and finish.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro that I got a Geek Squad Warranty on (when I worked for Best Buy, the 1year accidental was only 25 bucks after our discount :eek: ). Should be getting a store credit for about $1200+tax and I'm wondering what I should get. The Zenbook is great looking and pretty awesome but almost too close in price to the MBA. The 13" is a piece of shit and can't do anything due to the shitty integrated graphics and eveyrthing. The 15" isn't even worth it unless you get the mid line or high end one which then pushes the computer to the $2k mark... :shrug:

JasonSnake

Established Member

Last year I couldn't find any laptop that could match the gorgeous screen of a MBP. Either late this month or early next month I will be getting a 15 or 17" MBP, primarily for school.

It will be a whole new animal to me as all the accumulative time I've spent on OSX is probably one hour on store displays.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Was going to make a long response to this, but Jay already has most of it covered. Planter, all you've just done with all those false accusations is prove that you are totally clueless when it comes to computers. An overpriced Mac is perfect for you.

Macs have "zero disk fragmentation". Are you really that stupid. My God.
He really is stupid, I don't have a problem with my W7 system, never had to defrag and never will since SSD drives don't need to be defragged!

Planter

Banned
Since my dimension 2400 purchase in 2004, every graphics output device (external Nvidia/ATi or integrated intel) driver control panel has had a record mode to record everything going on on your screen. Drivers are free......

Just because you didnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it didnt exist.

Ive never seen any options and i checked my friends vista pc a few mins ago, it doesnt have anything. Checked my dads windows 7 laptop it doesnt have it either.

So do you have a link to a solution for the xbox360/wpa2 issue, or still talking out your ying yang?

Planter

Banned
He really is stupid, I don't have a problem with my W7 system, never had to defrag and never will since SSD drives don't need to be defragged!

Not everyone is willing to spend $300 for 120gb ssd when they can get a 1tb or 2tb 5400rpm or 7200rpm standard hard drive for half the price. when ssd comes down in price, then i might agree with your assessment. I like solid state drives, but not willing to spend $700-$900 for a 400-500gb ssd.

Users who are viewing this thread