HOLY $^*&! STOKED!

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Here I go getting into more than I can handle again...well, the '03 has been running real strong lately. I have found that I can just press on the gas a little and get the tail wagging.

Weeeeaaaalll...let's say I pressed the gas a little too hard.

In cold weather.

In 5 o' clock traffic.

On cold tires.

I LOOPED it, BIG time! A tank slapper, really...

I was coming out of a parking lot here in Asheville, it's probably 40 degrees outside...turned left, then hit the gas about halfway. The next thing I know I'm countersteering out the right side window, then the left side window, then looking at a bunch of headlights coming MY WAY, completely turned around northbound in the southbound lanes! F%&K!!!!!!

Luckily everyone stopped (Going north AND south) and let the madman in the Mustang get straightened back up and take off. You gotta understand, the road that I came out on is THE major thoroughfare for evening commuter traffic here...

No harm, no foul, I didn't hit anything...but I about $^&t myself...I need to take my license plate more seriously..."ADRNALIN"

The only wierd thing is the rear swaybar popped loudly from all the stress. I'm going to have to take a look at that.

Thanks for letting me vent...WHEW...I think I'm OK now. :xpl:

:coolman:

03DOHC

Established Member
:lol: Similar thing happened to me. It's starting to get cool here and the ride seems to be breaking the back tires loose a lot easier. She really likes this cool air.:thumbsup:

silvercoffin

Established Member
hey

my family lives in Asheville. Is that where you are from? Is there a near by drag strip there? I'll be driving down in the stang again in the spring. WHat a trip that was this summer. 130 mph througgh the mountains wow an 11 hour drive never went so fast!

03rocks

Established Member
Pretty Scary ordeal. I don't envy you.

I had that happen a couple of times with my first Cobra but I've so far kept at least the front tires in this one aiming the correct direction. Drift is definately king.

larryc7777

Established Member
Trust me on this one, those Goodyear F1s are murder when the road & tires are cold. I trashed the suspension on my 98 SS because they let go BIG TIME when they usually were very predictable doing the exact same maneuver in warmer weather. I jumped about an eight inch high curb & screwed up damn near the whole suspension from front to back...broke both wheels on the passenger side & the rear on the driver's side.:cuss:

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
Here I go getting into more than I can handle again...well, the '03 has been running real strong lately. I have found that I can just press on the gas a little and get the tail wagging.

In cold weather.

In 5 o' clock traffic.

On cold tires.

I LOOPED it, BIG time! A tank slapper, really...

I was coming out of a parking lot here in Asheville, it's probably 40 degrees outside...turned left, then hit the gas about halfway. The next thing I know I'm countersteering out the right side window, then the left side window, then looking at a bunch of headlights coming MY WAY, completely turned around northbound in the southbound lanes! F%&K!!!!!!

Luckily everyone stopped (Going north AND south) and let the madman in the Mustang get straightened back up and take off. You gotta understand, the road that I came out on is THE major thoroughfare for evening commuter traffic here...

No harm, no foul, I didn't hit anything...but I about $^&t myself...I need to take my license plate more seriously..."ADRNALIN"

The only wierd thing is the rear swaybar popped loudly from all the stress. I'm going to have to take a look at that.

Thanks for letting me vent...WHEW...I think I'm OK now. :xpl:

:coolman:

So what road were you on?? I live in Asheville and I'm meeting up with Wyte Lightning tomorrow night at 10:30 PM at the Kmart on Patton. Why don't you join us I would love to see your ride and meet you. Take care! DON'T SPIN IN TRAFFIC! ;-)

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville

Yep.....Been there, done that in my '97 Snake right after I put on my mods; I had to "re-learn" how to drive it, mainly don't punch it unless the front wheels are straight. With my '03, I have found this fact to be even more so true. These monsters will get away from you quick! :burnout:

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Re: hey

Originally posted by silvercoffin
my family lives in Asheville. Is that where you are from? Is there a near by drag strip there? I'll be driving down in the stang again in the spring. WHat a trip that was this summer. 130 mph througgh the mountains wow an 11 hour drive never went so fast!

What's up silvercoffin!

If your family lives in Asheville, I'm sure you'll be coming in for a visit...just throw me a PM when you think you'll be through next, we'll hook up.

I've been known to race a few Porsches through the Interstate 40 and 26 throughthe mountains there myself. We've got some beautiful roads around here...lots of them are hidden from the general public. Miles and miles of nothing but smiles and smiles...

Oh, BTW, the nearest dragway is Shadyside in Shelby...we're going to Mooresville today. It will be my first drag strip run, ever...hopefully I won't loop it again! :loser: ;-)

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Re: Re: HOLY $^*&! STOKED!

Originally posted by Big Daddy
So what road were you on?? I live in Asheville and I'm meeting up with Wyte Lightning tomorrow night at 10:30 PM at the Kmart on Patton. Why don't you join us I would love to see your ride and meet you. Take care! DON'T SPIN IN TRAFFIC! ;-)

Heeey Big Daddy, I think I remember you from the last time we met in the parking lot down on Patton. Kyte was there, I think it's a '01 GT that he has. With a, um, few mods ;-)

I was on US 25, coming out of MR Motorcycle and Marine, in 5 o'clock traffic. With an audience, which made it worse. :eek:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Perhaps leaving the Traction Control enabled might be wise in the colder weather.

At the higher altitudes of Arizona.. I don't have those "step on it and it goes crazy" problems. It just goes.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: Re: HOLY $^*&! STOKED!

Originally posted by §ilver§nake
mainly don't punch it unless the front wheels are straight. With my '03, I have found this fact to be even more so true. These monsters will get away from you quick! :burnout:
I agree completely and even then you better be ready to feather because the rear get's squirrely quick :D

Users who are viewing this thread