Homemade Seat Mounts

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
For a 6 point would I be ok mounting the "crotch straps" to the front seat mount with a unit like this?

This is the UPR bracked for a 5 point
CSB_lrg.gif

Here is the Wolfe bracket which I am assuming could be used for either 5 or 6 point harnesses
crchbrcklg.jpg

Last edited:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Here's some quick shots of the seat bracket. I'm still working on the correct position of the seat.

IMG_0502.gif

IMG_0501.gif

You can only see the rear supports of the seat bracket with the seat installed.
IMG_0503.gif

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I did some research on this before I mounted my six point when I had my stock seats. CC.com had lots of info, more than I could absorb. As you say, Dave, the overriding idea was to keep the harness from riding up.

What most seemed to suggest when you have no sub belt slot and six point is to have the two sub belts mount to the outside of the seat, somewhat in line with the cam lock, so you're actually sitting on the belts with your thighs. This has the straightest downward pull in that scenario. I don't have any good pics showing this, and have new seats now, but these kinda give you the idea.

Here's where my outside mount was...

OldSeatBelts2.JPG

And you can kinda see how they were routed here...

OldSeatBelts1.jpg

In use, they'd be much more under my butt cheeks and pull at more of a downward angle. But they were in extreme close proximity to my T&B.
And I musta been left out. I only came with one twig. :shrug:

MikeW

Established Member
I am getting ready to put aftermarket seats in my '98... I need to learn more about the 6-point I guess.

"twigs and berries"

MikeW

Established Member
LOL Dave

So I should go with a 6 ponint? So I will not need a seat that has the slot for the 5-point?

David Hester

Established Member
plink_upright.gif

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/safety/safety.aspx?page=restinfo_seating#popUpright
Pay attention to the "mount inline with chest or no more than 20 degrees behind..
Some belts were made to sit on the leg straps and then click into latch. I used these in my formula ford. Note you adjust T&B's prior to final clinching down of belts......These are mostly for formula cars where you are almost supine.
Note they suggest you don't use the small 5 point slot for 6 point, as this compresses the webbing. You want everything pulling is as straight a line as you can. Remember high school physics and pulleys/ lever. Every time you lay a strap around something and make it change directions, you are creating a pulley and putting more strain on the belt.

If I were using a 6 point, I would get longer bolts and mount them where the front mounts of the seat are. You may wrinkle the seat. On old Fox GT, I ran the belts behind the thigh bolster.
Other way, if leg straps are long enough, is attach to rear seat mounts, run between the back and seat cushions, under your butt and then to latch. Just be sure you know where the adjustment hardware is... Not in contact with body parts.
About mounting to the seat its own self.... If mount breaks, belt is going to go slack. If you mount it to the floorboard, you know you aren't going past the belts.

Last edited:

MikeW

Established Member
Thanks Dave... If oyu make it up to the March meeting (29th) i will pick your brain about it.

Thanks,
mike

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Here's how I ended up routing my 6 point harness. The Hunsaker seats have slots in the side. Not useful for a lap belt, but the submarine belts go through just fine.

6ptBelt1.JPG

6ptBelt2.JPG

6ptBelt3.JPG

6ptBelt4.JPG

T&B are just fine.

My problem was a lack of space on the inboard side for a hook for the sub belt like the outside, so both inside belts go to the lap belt bolt. I'm not sure that's a good idea, and plan to try and solve the problem.

Jeff, are using the stock belt mounts?

Lumpydogs

Established Member
OK, so Bruce was right. The race seats are not going to be comfy enough for long trips. However, since the new seat bracket mounts to the factory locations I can swap out the factory seat for race seat in three minutes.

The new plan is to bolt the race seat in the passenger seat and drive to the track in the factory seat. At the track I can quickly swap out the factory seat for the racing seat and leave the factory seat in the pits. Best of both worlds :D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
OK, so Bruce was right. The race seats are not going to be comfy enough for long trips. However, since the new seat bracket mounts to the factory locations I can swap out the factory seat for race seat in three minutes.

The new plan is to bolt the race seat in the passenger seat and drive to the track in the factory seat. At the track I can quickly swap out the factory seat for the racing seat and leave the factory seat in the pits. Best of both worlds :D

Jeff:

How far is your drive to the track? I would think that could be done? :shrug:

MikeW

Established Member
Here's how I ended up routing my 6 point harness. The Hunsaker seats have slots in the side. Not useful for a lap belt, but the submarine belts go through just fine.

T&B are just fine.

My problem was a lack of space on the inboard side for a hook for the sub belt like the outside, so both inside belts go to the lap belt bolt. I'm not sure that's a good idea, and plan to try and solve the problem.

Jeff, are using the stock belt mounts?

Are these the seats you that have? http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=228

Did you order with the sliders and brackets minus the belts?

Thanks,
Mike

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread