Honda S2000's, what do you think of them?

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Anyone have experience with them? OT or otherwise?

A friend of mine has one for sale, I drove it, very tempting! It's an '05 and I can have it for about $19K, 19K miles on it, car is like new.

Some specs:

2850lbs
Rear drive
50/50 weight dist.
2.2 Liters, 240hp, naturally aspirated
6-spd
Limited slip Torsen
Two seater
Cost new about $35,000.
HID's
150mph top speed.
Power band is 6000-8200rpm
22-31 mpg
11.1:1 compression
11.5in front rotors and rear rotors.
225/45/17 front tires
245/40/17 rears

9746C

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
I knew several people who OT who have traded in their 03-04 cobras and went with S2000's, for the ease of driving is better than the cobras

They are nice little cars for tracks

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
good cars, only negative thing i heard was that you have to be in the powerbad to have any power, if not, its slow.........really slow. They perform well though, well balanced car.
35k, you could get a used Z06 though.

wheelhopper

Established Member
From my observations at the track, the 2000 appears to be easier to drive fast for the beginner. Place an experienced driver in each car and I believe the Mustang will out run the 2000 on an OT track, particularly if the track has a few long straights.

I base this on my learning experience at OT. The 2000 owners in my group when I first started would give me a fit around the track. I could not seem to pull ahead of them. After a few sessions, no problem, I would gradually pull ahead. I am sure as my experience grows that gap will get even larger.

I sure as hell would not pay $19K for one.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
It makes sense that small cars (and normally thus less power) do better on courses with lots of turns, fewer hairpins, and fewer straights.

More powerfull cars like Mustangs would do better with slow turns going into fast straights, to take advantage of their acceleration.

For example at Roebling Road the S2000 would be great, but for Daytonas Rolex 24 course or Sebring I see a Mustang doing better.

I thought 19K was a good deal for a three year old car with 19K miles on it that cost $35K new!

I would like a used Vette, problem is they are built with typical GM quality, which isn't good. As far as quality, I'd give Honda a 10, Ford a 7, and GM a 5.

9746C

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I knew several people who OT who have traded in their 03-04 cobras and went with S2000's, for the ease of driving is better than the cobras

They are nice little cars for tracks

Thats a nice looking Cobra you've got there!

I'm pretty much done OT-ing my '03. The engines get hot and the rear ends burn up without cooling mods. I'm going to use the '97 Cobra from now on. It has 4.10 gears, off road H, flowmaster 3 chambers, new '99 cobra 11-inch clutch and a pro-50 shifter.

It's always had a little extra vibe since the 4.10's and I have an alluminum driveshaft on the way to take care of that. ($250) Then I'll put on some braided front brake hoses, ($80) subframe connectors, ($300) brake cooling hoses, ($75) and maybe some new '01 bullit springs a friend of mine has for sale. ($75) That should be all it needs. Maybe a K&N FIPK 2 also. ($175)

9746C

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It's a great little autocross car but other than that it's a little ricey for my tastes! :poke:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
good cars, only negative thing i heard was that you have to be in the powerbad to have any power, if not, its slow.........really slow. They perform well though, well balanced car.
35k, you could get a used Z06 though.

35k new maybe. Get a used one for 20 grand, then there is a shop in florida that can swap in a 2JZ-GTE from a supra for around 15k. That takes care of your power problem, and you can fly right past those pesky Z06's :lol1:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I bought one a week before 9-11 and drove it for 4 years. Triple black. There is a trick to driving them, but they are really outstanding cars.

I drove the Audi TT, Porsche Boxter S, and the Honda S2000 and the Honda won hands down.

The early models like mine revved to a screaming 9k rpm's. They are VTech engines and the power band begins at 6k. Below 6k it drives like a Miata and gets gas mileage. At 6k the computer changes the timing and valve train. It SCREAMS and its very fast.

If you are shifting at 8500rpms or higher you stay in the VTech all the time.

Its very stiff. 50/50 weight balance. I loved it.

I would track one again if i decided to get a street car that I could also track.

rob3.jpg

Last edited:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I bought one a week before 9-11 and drove it for 4 years. Triple black. There is a trick to driving them, but they are really outstanding cars.

I drove the Audi TT, Porsche Boxter S, and the Honda S2000 and the Honda won hands down.

The early models like mine revved to a screaming 9k rpm's. They are VTech engines and the power band begins at 6k. Below 6k it drives like a Miata and gets gas mileage. At 6k the computer changes the timing and valve train. It SCREAMS and its very fast.

If you are shifting at 8500rpms or higher you stay in the VTech all the time.

Its very stiff. 50/50 weight balance. I loved it.

I would track one again if i decided to get a street car that I could also track.

Thanks.

The 04's and later were revised. Powerband is now about 6K-up and redline is down to 8200rpm. But torque is up everywhere and it's better for daily driving.

I was impressed with the one I drove because it didn't feel like convertable. By that I mean the chassis felt solid and there wasn't any more road or wind noise than I would have expected from a hard top.

I'll bet at many tracks I could drive the '97 Cobra just as fast as the s2000. Both would fun to drive OT, but it would be a daily driver so I have consider that above all.

So the real question for me is which would be more fun as a daily driver the '03 Cobra or s2000. Blasphemy to you guys I'm sure.:rolling:

9746C

racebronco2

Established Member
Without a doubt the cobra will be more fun as a dd. I have driven plenty of s2000's stock to modded and everything in between. Yes they handle very well but it is really hard to beat the hp we have on the straights.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
why not throw a blower on it, like in FAST AND FURIOUS!

Haha, I have a recent 'Sport Compact Car" magazine with a highly modded S2K in it. The dude has an aftercooled Vortech making 380hp... and 220 ft-lbs of torque. No lie.

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
I have seen a few of them at the track with boost, and without appropriate brake, chassis, and tranny mods, the car is a time bomb. But, with coil-overs, R-compounds, and a good driver, on a momentum track, Roebling, the car was dang near unbeatable.

Users who are viewing this thread