Honest input for clutch break-in period

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Hey gang,

I was just hoping to start an honest discussion on the break-in period for these new beasts.

Now, I am not claiming that after the first 5 miles jamming on the throttle and banging the gears is a terrible idea or even that it will cause minor damage. What I am interested in, is a break-in period for the clutch, for maximum longevity and performance.

I plan on keeping my new ride indefinitely... She will see a few trips to the drag strip, a few track days, and some spirited driving. I have read everything from "Mash the pedal to floor immediately, it will be fine" to "500 miles, minimum, at variable throttle and low to mid rpm before really getting in to it."

Any input and opinions along these lines or even out of the box is welcome!

:burnout:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
actually the manual says to take it easy with varying speeds and such for the first 100 miles, then go ahead with normal driving

I myself made it almost 100 miles before I started banging gears a bit and even then I really dont, I shift like a grandma most of the time. You will see trying to bang from a dead stop on the street is not easy and the tail will step out on a hard 1-2 shift. But the car sure is fun to drive....your engine will last a lo longer than the clutch and I forsee getting a nice strong aftermarket unit in the future especially if I up the power just a bit

but thats just me

dustin88lx

Established Member
Agreed with Devious Snake, ford says 100 miles, clutch manufactures will say 500, when I spoke with mcleod when I installed my RXT they said 1000 with most being stop and go, but of course what did I do? I drove it normal for one day and took it straight to the track the next....I haven't seen any issues yet, smelt a little clutch at the track from break in, may have been brakes though short runoff, haven't smelled the clutch since.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Put 100 miles lots gear shifting and rpm ranges as well as stop n gos. Then LET'R EAT!!!

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Put 100 miles lots gear shifting and rpm ranges as well as stop n gos. Then LET'R EAT!!!

Kind of a fan of this one!

It seems like 100 miles is smart... 500 miles is smarter but takes waaayyyy more discipline. I went through the whole clutch TSB debacle with my current car and want to do everything I can to avoid anything similiar.

Perhaps I will shoot for 2 tanks of gas and then let her melt my mind!

13GT500SG

Established Member
Agreed i dont have the will power for much more then 100 miles. Matter in fact im hoping i can last that long haha

Users who are viewing this thread