hood mod?

"It'll Run"

Established Member
Rip that bad boy off dude...not a real need for it....you can actually see the heat waves escaping from under the hood while sittin in the car!!!!!

BenD

Established Member
Another Hood Mod

I was considering a hood mod of a little different nature. Since I road race sustained heat is a real problem.

First before I present this idea one of the quick and easy mods that anyone can do is remove the rubber rain strip at the back of the hood on top of the cowl. That simple trick can actually make a significant difference. But remember to keep it in the trunk so you can re-install it when going thru the car wash.

Now my idea. In the back of the hood where it turns down I talked to a custom shop about cutting about 5 retangular slots each about 3" long. They said they could do it for about $200. The cuts would help vent more hot air from the SC.

I don't know if the cuts would damage the adjacent paint or not, I definitely don't want paint damage, maybe a little around the edges. I have been thinking about this idea for months, but have not acted on it.

I even considered the Kenny Brown side vent kit, but I don't like the way it looks.

WHPSVT03

Horsepower Enthusiast
Established Member
Took my blanket off and had to paint under hood but it was worth it. Looks great and can hear the whine better now. Guess I should cut the vent flaps off now. Thought about it and never got around to it, looks like another mod is comin'!:rockon:

klonsbury

Established Member
Hey Oxford White owners:

Some of my hood (underneath) wasn't painted. I bought some $1.00 spray paint (gloss white) from Walmart. I used about 2-3 cans and it looks great! I know this may sound ghetto, but it really does look nice. I'll post pics if needed.

Kyle.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I'm just waiting for a correctly cut blanket so it won't look so cheesy. I'm terrible at cutting. :nonono: :cryying:

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
do you have to cut the blanket for this to work?

Can you just open up the flaps without cutting, and leave the blanket unmolested?

SVT Muscle

Established Member
Re: Another Hood Mod

Originally posted by BenD

Now my idea. In the back of the hood where it turns down I talked to a custom shop about cutting about 5 retangular slots each about 3" long. They said they could do it for about $200. The cuts would help vent more hot air from the SC.

That sounds like a pretty good idea if it can be done right without messing up the paint.

Thanks for the weather stripping tip.

Fang

Established Member
This has to be an old thread. Kinda makes me laugh that Sambandit actually was asking about this at one time.

1/2 bent

Established Member
Ive already ripped my blanket off and velcro my flaps back. I just want to see the pics of his spraypaint job. My hood isn't painted well in the middle. I may try the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread