Hood paint chip not covered under warranty

v8pwr

Established Member
So I took my car in to have few things taken care of. One thing I thought they'll cover was not covered. Infamous hood paint chip.
FYI, I have very good relationship with dealer/service advisor and they've been very good to me so far.

Dealer took numerous photos and sent them to Ford, but they denied it. I even called Ford's customer relations but that didn't help either. When customer relations contacted local Ford service manager, I guess he said its nothing but rock chips.
It does look like rock chip because they are still so small....But you can clearly see the paint around chip is peeling. Lets see how much bigger they'll be in few months. I took photos so I can compare later.

Since I still have few more months left on warranty, I'll try and take it back later if they get worse.

When I spoke with Ford's customer relations, I was told that paint is covered only for 1year/12months :shrug: If so, why did Ford denied my claim saying its rock chip instead of saying "your car's paint warrany is up."

sorry for the rant...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Paint only covered for 1 year/12 months would be for normal paint issues. If it is rust related the warranty is longer. And it your hood was indeed peeling/flaking the TSB should cover it through the entire warranty period (3 year/36 months). Seems that the issue is that they are saying the issue is not the one covered in the TSB. Keep an eye on it.

Do you do a lot of highway (higher speed) driving?

Here's a question for someone. Is a TSB coverage extended with an extended warranty?

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Here's a question for someone. Is a TSB coverage extended with an extended warranty?

I will be finding out next week when I take my 03 in to have the tick evaluated. I bought the car with an extended warranty from Baytown Ford 3 weeks ago with 45K miles on the clock. I did not know anything about the tick, or the TSB until after I bought it.

freakshow12

Established Member
there is a TSB on hood paint delamination on all composite hooded fords built from 01 to march 1 03. my mach just had it done I will see if I can find the TSB for you. it is good until the end of regular warranty but it IS up to the dealer if they say yes or no. my hood the paint started coming off in sections the size of dinner plates.

v8pwr

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Paint only covered for 1 year/12 months would be for normal paint issues. If it is rust related the warranty is longer. And it your hood was indeed peeling/flaking the TSB should cover it through the entire warranty period (3 year/36 months). Seems that the issue is that they are saying the issue is not the one covered in the TSB. Keep an eye on it.

Do you do a lot of highway (higher speed) driving?

I have about 15Kmiles of city driving. I told them about TSB so they are fully aware of it.

Users who are viewing this thread