hood vents and heat

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
After seeing Racebronco's hood at a car meet early last year...I made my own version last year by cutting out large openings just behind the stock heat extractors.

I covered the openings with thin aluminum vents and SS hardware. Took about 6 hours on a lazy Saturday to cut out both vents from thin aluminum sheet metal and cut openings in the Cobra hood.

The next weekend I removed the vents and cleaned up the edges underneath with different grits of sandpaper. Looks very trick. All I need to do is paint under the hood. The bare aluminum was sand blasted but I haven't ruled out painting them black in the future.

I made additional water aquaducts/air scoops that sit below the vents. These were crafted out of thin aluminum and allow water to drain to the front of the valve covers instead of directly over the coil pack covers. In addition, these scoops allow the air being sucked out of the fan to be directed out of the vents.

You can feel and see the heat rise out of openings at idle...especially when the fans kick in. Operating temps dropped about 10 degrees across the bored during normal high-heat summer commutes.

To date, this was probably my best cooling mod.

:beer:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
After seeing Racebronco's hood at a car meet early last year...I made my own version last year by cutting out large openings just behind the stock heat extractors.

I covered the openings with thin aluminum vents and SS hardware. Took about 6 hours on a lazy Saturday to cut out both vents from thin aluminum sheet metal and cut openings in the Cobra hood.

The next weekend I removed the vents and cleaned up the edges with underneath with different grits of sandpaper. Looks very trick. All I need to do is paint under the hood. The bare aluminum was sand blasted but I haven't ruled out painting them black in the future.

I made addition water aquaducts/air scoops that sit below the vents. These were crafted out of thin aluminum and allow water to drain to the front of the valve covers instead of directly over the coil pack covers. In addition, these scoops allow the air being sucked out of the fan to be directed out of the vents.

You can feel and see the heat rise out of openings at idle...especially when the fans kick in. Operating temps dropped about 10 degrees across the bored during normal high-heat summer commutes.

To date, this was probably my best cooling mod.

:beer:

Later...Dave

sounds sweet, any pics

rem177

Established Member
I also need a hood..
everyone seems to like the stock one - but it seems expensive and I dont know if any of these aftermarket ones would provide better airflow?

racebronco2

Established Member
primeredhood001mediumpr9.jpg

finishedhoodmodairflow0it6.jpg

finishedhoodmodairflow0mr3.jpg

mrpork

Established Member
They fit good but I had to do a little filing to install them, didn't chip the paint at all, just take your time and be careful.
i also cut a little bit out
You can see the dust on my hood from filing to get them to fit
CIMG1077.jpg

Agggghhhh, I don't like the screen look even a little bit. I think it looks bad ass all open like that.
:rockon:
I just removed my hoood insulation and remove the plastic covers....

now the fun starts

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The base of the windshield is a high pressure area and under hood is a low pressure area. I did a yarn test and taped yarn on the cowl and the rear part of the hood. After about 30 miles per hour all the yarn was in the crevice between the hood and cowl.
That is a great idea. Good way to test which way the vent is working. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Note that not all Terminators have a properly finished hood underside. Some are just sprayed with no gloss. So check first before you remove your hood blanket. Otherwise you might not like the unfinished look. Not that the hood pad is any prettier. LOL!

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
Note that not all Terminators have a properly finished hood underside. Some are just sprayed with no gloss. So check first before you remove your hood blanket. Otherwise you might not like the unfinished look. Not that the hood pad is any prettier. LOL!

even though mine is painted, not sure if i wanna go through with my idea or not. still thinkin :??:

Users who are viewing this thread