horrible run @ the track

SilvaCobra03

Established Member
just curious for what I should do when I go to the track w/ the mods... my frist time @ the track I ran a 15.03... 0.9 rxn time... horrible horrible horrible... no traction the entire time. all i had on the car was exhaust and the fipk. My tires are bald guess that didn't help although they might look like slicks, they don't work like them. I'm gonna put on some new tires for my next trip.

My friend said to feather the gas more through the gears... any opinions suggestions etc....

dragon40k

Established Member
haha i'd much rather have happen to you than what happened to me. I got a 13.008 out of mine. I just took it up to about 2k rpm and pulled out with it. A little spin, not too much. Of course and then there was no spin when the half shaft snapped. on the final run.

ModsAway

Established Member
You spun like crazy with only a CAI and exhaust and now expect to run a pullied cobra? Um.... good luck.

Feather it like crazy, leave at nothing more then idle and just ease into it, once you get going in 2nd or even 3rd mash it. After that don't tell anyone your pullied because people are gonna think these Cobras suck lol.

Practice Practice Practice, gonna be a hell of a ride for sure. enjoy!

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I dont think I would even admit that time..... I feel dumb just because I cant get into the 12s. Good luck next time you can only do better :burnout:

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra03FLA
I feel dumb just because I cant get into the 12s. Good luck next time you can only do better :burnout:

Yep, what he said. I need practice also. I've went twice & my best so far is only a 13.3 with a CAI & exhaust.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by SilvaCobra03
just curious for what I should do when I go to the track w/ the mods... my frist time @ the track I ran a 15.03... 0.9 rxn time... horrible horrible horrible... no traction the entire time. all i had on the car was exhaust and the fipk. My tires are bald guess that didn't help although they might look like slicks, they don't work like them. I'm gonna put on some new tires for my next trip.

My friend said to feather the gas more through the gears... any opinions suggestions etc....
Wanna run my QX4? :lol1:

Just kidding with ya. I wouldnt' feel too bad. Get back to the track with some better tires and experiment with your launches. I don't think it will take you long to get some respectable times. Good luck! :)

wjfawb0

Established Member
My first time ever drag racing I was running my 03 at 431rwhp/456rwtq on F1s. I ran a 13.7. 8 passes later in the day I ran a 12.4 before the low fuel light came on. Practice man. :rockon:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra03FLA
I dont think I would even admit that time..... I feel dumb just because I cant get into the 12s. Good luck next time you can only do better :burnout:

Wait until fall and you'll hit a 12, Eric. You do get some cool days in Florida?

15s are just bad.... You passed driver's ed? J/K. Practice, practice, practice...

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Thanks Cliff I just put on a K&N Fipk so 12 shouldnt be a problem this fall. Got a 13.06 recently on a hot day with a 2.21 60 ft :shrug: (without the FIPK)

Jay03GT

Established Member
Go to a track that hooks. I run at Bradenton, launch around 2k and slip the clutch a little, when the clutch is all the way out and the car settles mat it. Consistent 1.9x 60' times, almost everytime, on F1's. I also do a pretty good burnout. Works for me, ran a 12.15 today, and it was hot!

flyn high again

Established Member
If you're getting 13.0s with a 2.21 60' on a hot day, your car is definitely 12s capable. You remember how many 13.04s I had before I hit a 12. I was ready to tear my hair out. :rollseyes

I think the FIPK is in my future, too, along with a Bassani catback that i should have within a couple weeks or so.

elmo0244

Established Member
start in 2nd gear. my a accord chould have beat u that night without nitrous.u just need 2 test way's of starting your car.good luck.

p.s get some dr's:beer:

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
A lot of people are really quick to mod these cars. You should keep it stock until you get used to the power and get good times at the track. These cars will do 12's stock very easy once you get used to them. Then go slow with the mods. Once you get a pulley you should definately get some drag radials because you'll never get good traction.

Jay03GT

Established Member
I've got a pulley. My best friend has a silver '04 and our mods are nearly identical, same mods, just different brands on a few of them. He was on DR's, I'm on F1's. I ended up outrunning him by .02 when I left. I'm not sure if he stayed and made some more runs or not. Again, go to a track that hooks. I go to the 1/8th mile and cut 2.2-2.3 60' times and spin all the way down the track, run 8.4 or so 1/8th times. I go to BMP, cut 1.9x, run 7.9 1/8th times and low 12's. It's all in the track prep.

flyn high again

Established Member
Originally posted by TheYellowCobra
A lot of people are really quick to mod these cars. You should keep it stock until you get used to the power and get good times at the track. These cars will do 12's stock very easy once you get used to them. Then go slow with the mods. Once you get a pulley you should definately get some drag radials because you'll never get good traction.

12.53@113mph is one heck of a quick stock Terminator. That mph is almost unbelievable... That's one of the fastest times and mph I've ever seen for a stock Cobra.

I disagree that 12s are easy for a stock Cobra. When I'm at the track I rarely see a stock Cobra running anything better than a 12.9 and I see a lot of them in the middle 13s.

dragon40k

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
12.53@113mph is one heck of a quick stock Terminator. That mph is almost unbelievable... That's one of the fastest times and mph I've ever seen for a stock Cobra.

I disagree that 12s are easy for a stock Cobra. When I'm at the track I rarely see a stock Cobra running anything better than a 12.9 and I see a lot of them in the middle 13s.

12.5 is very quick for a stock cobra I would think. But if you look his 60' time was pretty good. Middle 13s though is pretty bad IMO. My first run ever was a 13.5 and it was 80 degrees and humid and I was nervous as hell. By the end of the night it was 70 and not as humid and I got a 13.00 with a 2.16 60'. I think every one of these things would get into the 12s with proper practice. Not that I'm an expert or anything just my opinion.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Like everyone said, just get more practice. I won't bust your balls for the slow time b/c I wouldn't want someone busting mine, but I did have to chuckle! ;) I would almost suggest pulling the mods off and getting used to the car with stock power.

Originally posted by flyn high again

I ran 12.9 the first time out, and I had never raced a stick at the track... was used to running the automatic in my GN. There's no reason these cars shouldn't go high-12s w/out modification. You just need practice and decent elevation.

Users who are viewing this thread