Hot topic: improving underhood cooling with a cowl hood?

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
I've been doing a ton of reserach on my car since way before I decided to buy this particular one, but somehow I missed the discussion on underhoos cooling/ heat extraction. My car has an aftermarket cowl hood on it as purchased from the previous owner, and I am becoming concerned about excessive underhood temps after reading the threads on the subject.

DSC04754.jpg

DSC04756.jpg

I recently installed an Aeroforce Interceptor dual guage set, and I have been watching the Coolant 1, IAT 1 and Charge Air temps closely for any signs of trouble. So far, the highest numbers I have observed have been 225* for Coolant 1, 115* for IAT 1 and 156* for Charge Air. This was on a 95* ambient temp afternoon while in fairly heavy stop-and-go traffic.

I thought the cooling system seemed to be doing a fairly good job keeping up considering the conditions, but what do you guys think about those temps?

Ideally, I would like to modify the cowl hood to shed heat more effectively rather than find a stock heat extractor hood and have it modified for additional vents and painted like racebronco2 and SCT2003. I am not opposed to that route, but I wondered if it was possible to make the cowl hood functional and effective in the interest of cost savings and using what I already have.

FWIW, I am aware of racebronco2's experiments with cowl airflow and the high pressure/low flow area at the windshield and cowl, so I envision the vents being along the front or middle portion of the hood to take full advantage of the low pressure/high flow areas there.

Thanks for any replies.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Where are you at in Louisville? If it were Redfire and you wanted to trade I'd probably trade you straight up.

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
Where are you at in Louisville? If it were Redfire and you wanted to trade I'd probably trade you straight up.

Brian,
My name is Lyle and we met at one of the LM.net meets last year. I had the white 95 Cobra Coupe which I sold in July. I live in Shelby County but work on Preston. Our body shop can do the paint work on both at a very reasonable price if we decide to go that route.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If this is a drag/street car I wouldn't be too worried about this situation. If it's a road course car, just give in and get the Terminator hood. You'll spend a lot of time and effort on trying to make the cowl hood work.

Those temps actually aren't too bad. If you like the look of your hood, work to remove hot engine bay heat in other ways. Installing a Reische Performance thermostat will provide you with staggering results when coupled with the right fan settings. If you want to take it further, increasing the height and width of the air dam will help pull hot air from underneath the car. You can also improve the efficiency of the radiator and heat exchanger by boxing them.

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
If this is a drag/street car I wouldn't be too worried about this situation. If it's a road course car, just give in and get the Terminator hood. You'll spend a lot of time and effort on trying to make the cowl hood work.

Those temps actually aren't too bad. If you like the look of your hood, work to remove hot engine bay heat in other ways. Installing a Reische Performance thermostat will provide you with staggering results when coupled with the right fan settings. If you want to take it further, increasing the height and width of the air dam will help pull hot air from underneath the car. You can also improve the efficiency of the radiator and heat exchanger by boxing them.

My plans for the car are mostly street, with some open track events. To be honest I'm a little concerned about this car after reading the threads regarding engine failures, overheating, etc.

mu22stang

Established Member
My plans for the car are mostly street, with some open track events. To be honest I'm a little concerned about this car after reading the threads regarding engine failures, overheating, etc.

You'll need a Terminator hood at a minimum for the open track. Unless you can lay fiber glass yourself or know someone that can do it for cheap, you'll spend more money trying modify the cowl hood than you would on a cheap OEM hood.

mu22stang

Established Member
Are the Heat Extractor hoods from Cervini's as good as the OEM?
https://cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1139#1158

Just curious if it's an option.

Not sure on quality, but the heat extraction performance should be the same.

One note, the '03-'04 style hood on the yellow Mustang on that page you posted will not fit your OEM bumper. The pillars on either side of the radiator opening on a Terminator are taller than all other models. The Terminator hood's leading edge is straight across. The hood in the picture has the typical mustang shoulder and slope.

Look at posts #11 and #12 of this thread for further explanation...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/632191-saleen-front-bumper-terminator-hood-pics.html#post8752558

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Brian,
My name is Lyle and we met at one of the LM.net meets last year. I had the white 95 Cobra Coupe which I sold in July. I live in Shelby County but work on Preston. Our body shop can do the paint work on both at a very reasonable price if we decide to go that route.

I don't know nor anyone else I know has any idea on any weight savings. That's the only reason I would be interested in switching. The hoods on our cars are about my favorite hood of all time. That and the old S351 Hoods.

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
Not sure on quality, but the heat extraction performance should be the same.

One note, the '03-'04 style hood on the yellow Mustang on that page you posted will not fit your OEM bumper. The pillars on either side of the radiator opening on a Terminator are taller than all other models. The Terminator hood's leading edge is straight across. The hood in the picture has the typical mustang shoulder and slope.

Look at posts #11 and #12 of this thread for further explanation...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/632191-saleen-front-bumper-terminator-hood-pics.html#post8752558

That explains my hood rubbing slightly now. Damn.

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
I don't know nor anyone else I know has any idea on any weight savings. That's the only reason I would be interested in switching. The hoods on our cars are about my favorite hood of all time. That and the old S351 Hoods.

Honestly, I'd think they would be pretty close since both are fiberglass. It would likely be a wash.

mu22stang

Established Member
Honestly, I'd think they would be pretty close since both are fiberglass. It would likely be a wash.

Indeed. I've heard many of the carbon fiber hoods still have a fiber glass or FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) structure on the underside. That's the same material the OEM hood is made from, so the only difference in weight would come from the outer panel. Unless you go to a race style lift off hood, the somewhat small weight savings is going to be hard to justify. I'd suggest just finding a good OEM supplier or salvage yard.

Users who are viewing this thread