Houston/Galveston area people

Solopony

Established Member
Ok I hate to be part of a conspiracy but I have heard of a cover up going on. I've taken everything I've read with a grain of salt but how come there seems to be a media blackout going on? Where are all the people who stayed on Galveston island? Why is media not being let into certain areas. Why is the news not covering any of this? I am thinking this might end up in smackdown but I can deal with some name calling.

http://blessingsblessings.newsvine.com/_news/2008/09/17/1875291-galveston-coverup-you-decide
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/15/hurricane-ike-media/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26765035

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
ike16.jpg

that and dead bodies are the main reason we arent seeing anything, bolivar had thousands of people on it before the storm hit, it doesnt exist anymore...

oil spills are a big reason we dont see anything though.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
My bet is they are trying to control a repeat of the shit storm media blame fest that was Katrina. My favorite part is how the reporters are taking the angle that they are just trying to show the homeowners the destruction of their property. Noooo, you are just trying to get some face time to further your career.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Here is a lnk to the Houston Chronicle
http://www.chron.com/

Check out the "photos submitted by readers" images link.
There are many other good links with lots of images and info.
I don't think there is a cover up. I think it is quite possible there were many swept out to sea, which will complicate any death toll greatly.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

It's a GIGANTIC MESS and it looks like my house will be without power till after Monday.:nonono:

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
I have some pictures of surfside down here in this area which is about 20 minutes south of me but they're up at work. I'll post them tomorrow if I get the chance! I finally got my power back on tonight. Hope you get your power back soon Jimmy!!

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
so wait. by asking "where are the missing 22k people" are they saying that they are all dead and the gov is covering it up, or what? im confused.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Ok I hate to be part of a conspiracy but I have heard of a cover up going on. I've taken everything I've read with a grain of salt but how come there seems to be a media blackout going on? Where are all the people who stayed on Galveston island? Why is media not being let into certain areas. Why is the news not covering any of this? I am thinking this might end up in smackdown but I can deal with some name calling.

http://blessingsblessings.newsvine.com/_news/2008/09/17/1875291-galveston-coverup-you-decide
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/15/hurricane-ike-media/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26765035

I am confused... what exactally do you think they are covering up?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I am confused... what exactally do you think they are covering up?

"We now know of a facility euphemistically called the "University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston" (UTMB), whose website proclaims, "An academic health center dedicated to educating science professionals and researchers....solving biomedical puzzles through research...", that contains a Level-IV Bio Lab, one of only five in the United States. Level 4 is the highest bio-hazard level, and the most dangerous. Even the prestigious National Research Council criticized a federal government analysis that concluded that these labs pose no health threat to heavily populated communities, like Boston's South End and Galveston. One cannot but wonder what sort of demented individual or group would advocate such a facility anywhere near a heavily populated area, much less one on a barrier island in a flood plane and hurricane-prone region.

A Level 4 Bio-hazard Lab routinely handles agents comprising biological weapons of mass destruction. The NRC report states the U.S. government "... failed to adequately consider the dangers of working with the world's deadliest germs, including Ebola and plague, in the middle of a congested urban neighborhood." Such a facility is in an area of residential structures that suffered water seven feet deep in the first floor, not to mention the high winds and towering waves. The official response to inquiry is that only "minor" damage was sustained, but the entire complex has been taken over by the military, and no reporters have been allowed near the labs.

To put this in perspective, consider the lab announcement from the University website:

"The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is the site of the $167 million facility. Of the total 83,000-square-foot building, 12,362 square feet will be devoted to biosafety level 4 (BSL-4) research.

BSL-4 space is secure for work with "dangerous and exotic agents that pose a high individual risk of aerosol-transmitted laboratory infections and life-threatening disease," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Among BSL-4 safeguards are special air seals and air ducts to and from the lab, individual air supplies for researchers, required personal protection suits for workers, and numerous levels of security for entry. Such labs study diseases including anthrax, Ebola, SARS, and others.""

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
pretty smart of them to build a facility like that in an area that is prone to major destruction

txyaloo

Established Member
Ok I hate to be part of a conspiracy but I have heard of a cover up going on. I've taken everything I've read with a grain of salt but how come there seems to be a media blackout going on? Where are all the people who stayed on Galveston island?

There seems to be a media blackout because there is one. Reporters are pretty much only allowed to report at the seawall around the Flagship and San Luis. During Katrina, we saw reporters in boats floating around the city showing the mass destruction, but Galveston has put a strangle hold on that. They're also requiring reporters to sign NDA's regarding any bodies they may see. The government learned a lot by the hysteria created by the media during Katrina and has done a lot to manage it this time.

I've seen several pictures from Galveston of the red X we all became familiar with during Katrina. Inside that X is the number of residents found in the home as well as the number dead. Many agencies have gone to stickers that are much more media friendly on the front of homes.

I don't think the death toll will ever be finalized. There is no way to know how many people were washed out to sea. I've seen reports that 20,000 people stayed just on Galveston. Around 2,000 were rescued and evacuated and around 6,000 decided to stay on the island. That doesn't add up. I can't believe 12,000 people were killed in just Galveston. I do think several hundred/thousand will be missing though.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
I heard on the radio the other day "If you can't afford it to be wiped out, then don't build it" Who would want anything on the gulf anyway? Nothing but sewage looking water..I can only get in the water when I'm drunk since I don't care

Users who are viewing this thread