How a 99 Cobra with N2O should run...

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Finally got into the 10s on the juice in 3900 ft air last night at my local track. This motor hasn't been touched in nearly two years but I spent the last year sorting out drive train and tune problems. Finally put it all together...

Here are the videos, first one is in car, first pass, then the last two runs from outside the car. Second file is of the same runs with a different camera. Can't hear the itty bitty Ford next to the big pushrod truck motor in the left lane.

http://members.cox.net/joelynch11/072905allruns.wmv
http://members.cox.net/joelynch11/lynch72905-1.wmv

I really appreciate the crowd response on the first and second passes. Finally, 10s in the summer at Penwell, TX. The 10.82 was better than even I expected, however. Sixty foot was only 1.40, limited by the warm weather.

Gotta love that DOHC engine at 8000 rpm. Itty bitty engine, at that.

Joe

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Thats some awesome shifting!!!!!! You need to break my TKO in and show me how its done :beer:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
that car runs pretty damn lean joe. im amazed at seeing 14 a/f on a nitrous car.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
quadcammer said:
that car runs pretty damn lean joe. im amazed at seeing 14 a/f on a nitrous car.

That sensor isn't right. I have an LC-1 installed that is reading about 1 point richer. The plugs are reading right as well.

I was afraid someone would notice that.

Joe

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
haha, alright, i knew if that was right you wouldn't be beating on it like that.
thanks for the clarification and congrats dude, that thing is flying.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
Thats bad ass!!!! Congrats!!! I live in El Paso, TX. and I alway hear about Penwell and how great of a track it is to run. That it hooks like crazy!!!!!

Joe Lynch

Established Member
inzane01--my car has always stuck there pretty good. Lots of people like the first 60' but hate the altitude. I am used to it. I think the first time I ran a car at Penwell was in 1969. The only track that I get to go to if I am willing to drive 6 hours that comes close to hooking as well is San Antonio Raceway.

Joe

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
sick car man, gotta come down to Austin one of these day's. we have a big meet up on Monday's. alot of shit talking evo's out here :burn:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
01BlueCobra
I have a son that lives in Austin. We go do there a few times per year, but usually on the weekend.
Joe

Joe Lynch

Established Member
kezell said:
Thats some great runs. What does she run on motor?

kezell--I don't know. Not as quick as you might think. I killed a bunch of low end torque with cams and a short runner intake. The engine made over 360 SAE rwhp but it was at 7000 rpm. Everyone was surprised at the power number but the car wasn't much quicker than a stock motor because of the curve. I built it for nitrous, where you get a big hit in mid range regardless of the cams/intake. As you can see, it launches pretty good, and that is with a very light aluminum wheel. If I put a steel wheel back in and lighter/smaller tires, probably low 12s out here. This is a heavier car than your basic hard top coupe.

Joe

Joe Lynch

Established Member
The car is power limited on 60' at 3500 lbs. It will go around 1.60 at this altitude on motor, from what I remember. Roughly 1.50 on a 75 shot, 1.40 on a 150 shot. Best is a 1.35 in 3000 ft cool air on a 175 shot (same jet as now).

Joe

bouncer18

Established Member
Hmmm.... If your down for the drive why not go to Heartland Park Topeka during an event..... you get the altitude benifit and the track is prestine...

nice run / Thanks for the vids

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Sprayed Pony--I feel your pain. I messed with the transmission for months before getting to see for sure that I had the tune fixed.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread