How accurate is the stock boost gauge?

CGLhawk260

Established Member
Last year, i added the following to my set up:3# lower pulley, 60ib injectors,mafia and BAP. When i had my car re-tuned and dyno'd the max boost psi was at 17.7 +/-. However, the stock boost gauge reads about 12# estimated. I could only estimate the boost level based on the portional incremental difference the needle moves past 10ibs. How accurate is the stock boost gauge? Shouldn't my boost gauge be more towards the 5 o clock mark? The car drives and performs perfect.

Last edited:

pony23

Established Member
When I installed the boost overlay, I had to check the guage with an aftermarket one. It wasn't that far off. Yours probably just needs to be adjusted.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The stock boost gauge will only go so far, as theres a bump stop. You need Ray Hiltons boost overlay kit, or a different gauge for accurate readings.

Hilton Boost Overlay

CGLhawk260

Established Member
Thanks for the help. So to get my needle to look like yours i have to remove the needle limiter. I always thought the boost gauge didn't have a limiter.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
^^^ yea it has one, follow the link above^^^

4374191449_1150684eb0_o.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
I checked mine with a handheld pressure/vacuum gauge after installing a boost overlay and they both agreed with each other to the pound. The factory boost gauge is said to be one of the few gauges in the cluster that is honest.

……………….if only Ford showed as much enthusiasm for the oil pressure gauge :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread