How are you guys doing against c6 Z06s?

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
Really not trying to start a flame war, but in my continuing quest to purchase the car I'm going to enjoy more, I have to ask.

My friend just bought an 06 z06 with 20k miles. It has catback, intake, and a tune. He took it to Sac Raceway on Saturday night and ran a 11.6@129, with a 2.1 60'. He's gonna do the rest of the bolt ons and a drag suspension, and shoot for high 10s...and on a car that will get him 25mpg+ to and from the track on the freeway.

That just seems insane to me. I really want a GT500 - huge power, blower whine, good looks, something different (had an 03 cobra that I sold in 2005, and had the 2008 c6 for the last two years), and the backseat is a great option at least to have in a pinch (can't put people in the hatch of the vette...LOL).

Still, 129mph traps in a $40k car with the most basic of bolt ons is really appealing...

so out there in real life, how are you Shelby guys faring against z06s and modded c6s (ls3s)?

before the inevitable questions arise here, Yes, I am bored...no, I'm not trying to start a war...yes, I really will be getting one or the other in the next few months. :rockon:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
To get a gt500 to trap 129 it gonna need a bigger blower. I can beat most c6 z06 but a good modded one with sticky tires are easy 10s

Last edited:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
It will take a upper and lower pulley car with good supporting bolt-ons(exhaust, intake maybe ported) to trap high 120s like your friends car. I personally love the blower whine and have always been a ford guy. You still can't deny the c6z and what its capible of.

bull3441

Established Member
it would be easier to find Big Foot, than a stock ZO6. every week another twin turbo or procharged Z shows up in my area. someone is always faster, so get what puts a smile on your face.

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
it would be easier to find Big Foot, than a stock ZO6. every week another twin turbo or procharged Z shows up in my area. someone is always faster, so get what puts a smile on your face.

I agree, there's always someone faster...Like for example, right now I'm daily driving the SRT-4, and everyone is faster :-D

but when I had the modded c6, I honestly never ran into a car on the road that could run away from me...Bikes did, but no cars. Not that there werent any faster cars out there, i'm sure, but in real everyday driving, you don't run into very many cars that trap higher than 115mph. I loved knowing that I could hang with or beat 99.99% of the cars I'd ever run up against.

I know that the lightly modded GT500 will be in the same boat, but trapping 129mph with such easy mods is ridiculous.

so I remain 50/50 on this decision! I'm sure it will come down to whatever my gut is saying when it's time to pull the trigger on one or the other...

Darth Racer

Established Member
Really not trying to start a flame war, but in my continuing quest to purchase the car I'm going to enjoy more, I have to ask.

My friend just bought an 06 z06 with 20k miles. It has catback, intake, and a tune. He took it to Sac Raceway on Saturday night and ran a 11.6@129, with a 2.1 60'. He's gonna do the rest of the bolt ons and a drag suspension, and shoot for high 10s...and on a car that will get him 25mpg+ to and from the track on the freeway.

That just seems insane to me. I really want a GT500 - huge power, blower whine, good looks, something different (had an 03 cobra that I sold in 2005, and had the 2008 c6 for the last two years), and the backseat is a great option at least to have in a pinch (can't put people in the hatch of the vette...LOL).

Still, 129mph traps in a $40k car with the most basic of bolt ons is really appealing...

so out there in real life, how are you Shelby guys faring against z06s and modded c6s (ls3s)?

before the inevitable questions arise here, Yes, I am bored...no, I'm not trying to start a war...yes, I really will be getting one or the other in the next few months. :rockon:

wait and get a 2012 GT500

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I just raced my buddy in his c6Z06. Those things are fast for stock!!
Im no driver and will admit it everytime from a roll I was able to hang (2nd and 3rd) and slowly fall back as we got high in mph.
Now with drag radials out back maybe I could get the jump out the hole and it would be enough to stay ahead- who knows.
Nothing a KB or Whipple couldnt fix. Thats my next plan. :rolling:

If you want a 2 seater, great car in stock form get the vette. Want something that you rarely see on the road, mod easily, and want the whine of a superchrager get the GT500.

Either way you cant go wrong.

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
I just raced my buddy in his c6Z06. Those things are fast for stock!!
Im no driver and will admit it everytime from a roll I was able to hang (2nd and 3rd) and slowly fall back as we got high in mph.
Now with drag radials out back maybe I could get the jump out the hole and it would be enough to stay ahead- who knows.
Nothing a KB or Whipple couldnt fix. Thats my next plan. :rolling:

If you want a 2 seater, great car in stock form get the vette. Want something that you rarely see on the road, mod easily, and want the whine of a superchrager get the GT500.

Either way you cant go wrong.

That's a good point...Corvette's are ubiquitous around Northern (and Southern, though I don't see quite as many) California. Then again, the GT500 is magical to the eyes of those who know, but most people probably just glance and think, "wow...another mustang..." because they really don't know the difference.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
That's a good point...Corvette's are ubiquitous around Northern (and Southern, though I don't see quite as many) California. Then again, the GT500 is magical to the eyes of those who know, but most people probably just glance and think, "wow...another mustang..." because they really don't know the difference.

I wouldnt say that. Just about everytime I go out in mine-weekends only. I get a rev from someone or a thumbs up. Makes me proud to own a car like this when that happens.

SicShelby09

Banned
Not so good. Not my car.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsoN157-M00"]YouTube - Lankhoss' C6 Z06 Vs. KB '07 Shelby GT 500[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lMc1O6Rt6A"]YouTube - Lankhoss' C6 Z06 Vs. 07 Shelby GT500[/nomedia]

Last edited:

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
I'm doing great!. I hate them, not only them any GM product. I will never buy one....:lol: To me they are for people with small pe.... and:loser:

ponyboy96

Established Member
Just by watching the video you notice a couple of factors coming into play.
1. the weight difference - the C6Z is nearly 1000lbs lighter therefore, it takes nearly 100+rwhp to compensate
2. Aerodynamics - obviously from a roll, the C6Z has the advantage
3. Lankhoss was notorious for understating what he had under the hood. My guess is, he had more than he let on.

Had they gone from a dig, my guess is the the GT500 would have won.

rlhay2

Established Member
Cold air intake, pulley, tune and gears will transform these cars.

I fare pretty well against any heads, cam and exhaust Z06. They are nice cars, I even considered getting a Grand Sport for a TT project but changed my mind for a slightly loftier goal...

Users who are viewing this thread