How bad is it to drive around with a couple bad valve seats?

Bootbox

Established Member
I'm pretty convinced my #1 and #2 cylinders have valve issues. I've got crusty white build up on both those plugs every time I check them (ash deposits = burning oil, it's not lean) thick build up on them too. I change the plugs every other oil change and those two are like that every time. It smokes a little when I start it, white, awful smelling smoke, and it uses oil. About a qt every 1000 miles or so it seems like.

I guess my big question is, just how bad is this? The truck has been like this since I bought it 12,000mi ago and it ran a 13.6 before the 4lb'r and pulls stronger than ever, with it. I can't really swing new heads right now (just had to replace a tire, windshield, and 8 coilpacks) and I'm wondering if I can keep putting it off or if I'm damaging my engine running it like this.

:bash:

Bootbox

Established Member
I meant valve guides but it was too late to change the thread title when I realized my mistake. :smmon:

Thanks for the tip, I feel a little better now. I'll probably end up trying to find some stock takeoffs. How hard is it to swap heads without pulling the engine. I got a feeling it's not fun.

boca ron

Banned
Bootbox said:
I meant valve guides but it was too late to change the thread title when I realized my mistake. :smmon:

Thanks for the tip, I feel a little better now. I'll probably end up trying to find some stock takeoffs. How hard is it to swap heads without pulling the engine. I got a feeling it's not fun.
well im not going to say its easy, but ite not that bad just a little tedious, is it just on 1 bank or both? if your lucky annd its only on 1 bank just pull that side and fix that head, ive got 3 sets of good heads, if it helps you cost wise id be willing to swap out a head or heads with you, stock config on heads i have, its really no difference to me cuz i plan on haveing heads worked over anyway ie ported, bigger valves etc.... anyway its up to you if you need any guidance along the way hit me up on pm we can swap phone #s but if you can turn a wrench a little i think its doable for you, goodluck if i can help let me know. boca

Bootbox

Established Member
boca ron said:
well im not going to say its easy, but ite not that bad just a little tedious, is it just on 1 bank or both? if your lucky annd its only on 1 bank just pull that side and fix that head, ive got 3 sets of good heads, if it helps you cost wise id be willing to swap out a head or heads with you, stock config on heads i have, its really no difference to me cuz i plan on haveing heads worked over anyway ie ported, bigger valves etc.... anyway its up to you if you need any guidance along the way hit me up on pm we can swap phone #s but if you can turn a wrench a little i think its doable for you, goodluck if i can help let me know. boca

It's just one bank, the driver's side. I'd definitely be interested in the swap, that would be a real lifesaver. As long as it's possible to do with the engine in it, we can pull it off. My friends are ASE techs and have access to a full shop on the weekends. I'll shoot you a PM.

slvrsvtlghtng said:
where in tx are you located

Austin :beer:

boca ron

Banned
yep it can be done in the truck got a good head for ya like 6000 mile look almost new ill also give you new stock head bolts for that side ah f it ill send the whole set they only cost me 55 bucks youll need to buy L side head gasket form ford tho lets just swap heads assembled with cam in place we can just keep it simple the head i have is factory spec everthing with cam in place it will be drop in ready for ya you pull yours then send it to me ill get this one out to ya so you have less downtime after you get it up and runnig send me your old head cam . :beer: shippings on you 33432 Fla. to you approx 30#

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
I just shot you another PM

I can cover the shipping both ways for sure, and I made an offer in my first PM to you, some compensation for your trouble.

Awesome Ron, just awesome. :beer:

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Yeah that side is deff the easier of the two to do, and if your just putting head bolts back in and not studs it is that much easier. If you can go start to finish it can be done in a day, no big deal at all.
Glad Ron can help ya out cause that really works best for you, no down time is key. :beer:

Bootbox

Established Member
lightninmike said:
Yeah that side is deff the easier of the two to do, and if your just putting head bolts back in and not studs it is that much easier. If you can go start to finish it can be done in a day, no big deal at all.
Glad Ron can help ya out cause that really works best for you, no down time is key. :beer:

Good to hear! Man, I'm blown away by this place, and Ron man you rule! :beer:

I think we worked something out and I'm looking to tackle this one of these upcoming weekends here. I can have it down all weekend if I need to.

It'll be so nice to get this fixed, it's the only issue my engine has left till it's perfect again.

:pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
just make sure you time it right, if not it will not run right and you will be leaving a lot of power on the table

Bootbox

Established Member
Is there a reference dot on the cam sprocket? What do you guys think is a good way to make sure the chain doesn't drop off the lower sprocket when we're taking it off the old cam and putting on the new one?

Last edited:

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
boca ron said:
yep it can be done in the truck got a good head for ya like 6000 mile look almost new ill also give you new stock head bolts for that side ah f it ill send the whole set they only cost me 55 bucks youll need to buy L side head gasket form ford tho lets just swap heads assembled with cam in place we can just keep it simple the head i have is factory spec everthing with cam in place it will be drop in ready for ya you pull yours then send it to me ill get this one out to ya so you have less downtime after you get it up and runnig send me your old head cam . :beer: shippings on you 33432 Fla. to you approx 30#

Ron beat me to it. I've got 1 good head sitting here but it's been ported.

Might I suggest DHL, they tend to be less expensive than UPS and do a better job handling large heavy objects. Case in point a buddy of mine bought a 351 intake off ebay. More to ship it than it was worth but he bought it anyway. Once delivered he realized UPS put it in a different box. Because it appears to have gotten stuck under the truck and dragged that way from MI to AZ. He ended up with 1/2 the manifold he bought. Luckily it was insured.

Ron, I have not forgotten about you. That damn elbow is sitting here. Wife lost her job so I'm having to cut back on everything, including driving the L once a week. I'll get this off to you shortly. (end hi-jack)

boca ron

Banned
TucsonPred said:
Ron beat me to it. I've got 1 good head sitting here but it's been ported.

Might I suggest DHL, they tend to be less expensive than UPS and do a better job handling large heavy objects. Case in point a buddy of mine bought a 351 intake off ebay. More to ship it than it was worth but he bought it anyway. Once delivered he realized UPS put it in a different box. Because it appears to have gotten stuck under the truck and dragged that way from MI to AZ. He ended up with 1/2 the manifold he bought. Luckily it was insured.

Ron, I have not forgotten about you. That damn elbow is sitting here. Wife lost her job so I'm having to cut back on everything, including driving the L once a week. I'll get this off to you shortly. (end hi-jack)
No sweat Bro, when you get on your feet cool w/me. goodluck. DHL you say? Thanks for the heads up Ill look in to that, thanks boca :beer:

boca ron

Banned
Bootbox said:
Is there a reference dot on the cam sprocket? What do you guys think is a good way to make sure the chain doesn't drop off the lower sprocket when we're taking it off the old cam and putting on the new one?
yes there is, with the help of a friend to keep tension on it when you lift head so it doesnt get slack and slip off

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Yeah there is a dot but that can be off too. My cams were timed to those dots and it was found to be 4 degrees off from what it should be, all better now tho

Bootbox

Established Member
boca ron said:
yes there is, with the help of a friend to keep tension on it when you lift head so it doesnt get slack and slip off

Excellent, thanks man :rockon:

boca ron

Banned
that is within ford spec is + or - 4* is this scenario not pulling motor you cant degree cams in its just one of those things you have to deal with. I bought one set of ford sprockets on last motor i did that were 10* retarded othe side was 2* advanced. wound up buying adjustable cam sprockets so cams could be degreed in. but you cant doit with motor in truck.

Users who are viewing this thread