How bad is the 5.4l 3v cam phaser issue?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I've got a few mod motors under my belt now and I think based on what I've seen, the main #1 issue in terms of longevity is the Oil pump no matter which genera. Actually You might say maintenance #1 and Oil pump #1.5... Once they start wearing out, they seem to start starving the passenger side cyl head and all the timing components of lubrication first and it's downhill from there.

I think if you went in around 150k give or take and upgraded the Oil pump (while hopefully everything else should still be in good shape) you'd have even a 5.4 3v that will run well for a really long time.

Think by installing a better oil pump early on can prevent some of the issues?

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I thought the heads only had a few threads...and the plug threads would extend past the head threads. Carbon would build up on the bottom plug threads, making it very difficult to remove the plug without breaking it.

Pretty sure in 2005-6 they went to a head with more threads to prevent this?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I thought the heads only had a few threads...and the plug threads would extend past the head threads. Carbon would build up on the bottom plug threads, making it very difficult to remove the plug without breaking it.

Pretty sure in 2005-6 they went to a head with more threads to prevent this?
No, plenty of threads. The bottom of the plug had a taper the went into the bottom of the head. That’s what seized. Bottom of the head had no threads.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Looks like money to me.
Line them up, plugs, phasers, exhaust manifolds, the occasional follower that shits the needle bearings and wrecks the cam. 5.4 3V were a big pile, hence the paycheck keeps Rollin in. Sure there were a handful that defied the norm, but I didn't get the practice I did by not working on them.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Bought my 06' F150 4 years ago with 76K miles, only issue so far is it's a little noisy until it warms up. It has about 134K on it now, gonna run it hopefully to 200K and then dump it.

StrayBullitt

Established Member

I think it definitely couldn't hurt, but I would expect the stock pump to do it's job for quite awhile especially if the Engine is well maintained. An Oil pressure gauge might be good thing to do early on though. My car is at 75k and that is definitely on my to do list.

Fwiw any of the Engines I've personally had apart that ended up showing oiling issues and progressive damage were all in upwards of 150k +

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The most likely cause of phaser issues on the 3v is from not using motorcraft oil filters and the recommended viscosity oil.

Well im sure that part of the problem
Using cheap oil and a cheap filter like a regular fram. Also any filter without and anti drain back valve in the filter cause all the 2v/3v to have dry starts adding wear to important engine parts.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Damn. Forgot that one too. God that truck was a hunk of shit. Cracked manifolds
I dont think the whole line of 5.4 3v were a hunk of junk. There has definitely been some huge issues. But it seems that alot of actually failed low mile 5.4 3v were due to not keeping up with maintenance or using the run of the mill oil shop with cheap filters and cheap oil. Theres a good amount of 5.4 3v with over 150k miles

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Looks like money to me.
Line them up, plugs, phasers, exhaust manifolds, the occasional follower that shits the needle bearings and wrecks the cam. 5.4 3V were a big pile, hence the paycheck keeps Rollin in. Sure there were a handful that defied the norm, but I didn't get the practice I did by not working on them.

It seems you have experience with them what have you notice is the main reason of failures?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I dont think the whole line of 5.4 3v were a hunk of junk. There has definitely been some huge issues. But it seems that alot of actually failed low mile 5.4 3v were due to not keeping up with maintenance or using the run of the mill oil shop with cheap filters and cheap oil. Theres a good amount of 5.4 3v with over 150k miles
I agree.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
It seems you have experience with them what have you notice is the main reason of failures?
On the phasers I believe the first design part was not robust. The second issue is due to lack of maintenance. Ford released a TSB stating poor quality filters could wind up breaking down and media can make it through the system into the phaser.
While that is a possibility, lack of flow due to passages being clogged, or low oil pressure whether caused by a weak oil pump or leakdown in the system like at the chain tensioners is more likely.
Have seen regular maintenance done and still had noisy phasers.
This is why I believe the problem is not just a single component. Several things can contribute to the same symptom.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member

The timing cover has to come off and the timing gear needs to come off to replace the oil pump, so if you’re going to upgrade the oil pump you might as well replace the timing gear while you’re in there.

The recommended upgraded oil pump is like $100.

ZEN357

Established Member
I had a 2005 F-150 FX4 with the Phaser issue. That engine ticked from 48,000 miles to 120,000 until I got rid of it because the Transmission was failing as well. Worst Truck I ever owned. I traded it for a 2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn. The RAM ran circles around the F-150

Users who are viewing this thread