How did you know you engine let go???

Jamiecane

Established Member
I was running my car the other day and ran it through 4th(about 120-130MPH) when it felt like it cut fuel. I put the clutch in and right away it did not ideal right. I took it home where on the way home it died on 2 time.

I let it sit for about a hour and it started fine. To day I changed the plugs and now it wont stay running. A strong smell of fuel. I can us the help any ideas.

Thanks
Jamie

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yep, probably going to end up replacing FRPS (and do oil too)

if you disconnect the electrical connector at sensor, does it idle better?
if so, you know for sure the sensor is bad

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
How come the computer doesn't throw codes for that going bad?

And if you did some datalogging, what kinda readings would you get if it went bad?

Jamiecane

Established Member
lloyyd said:
Maybe your FRPS.

Where is the FRPS at. And once I know where it is just unplug it and see if it idles better.

I did get it started but only would stay running if my foot was on the gas. White smoke just pooring out tail pipe.

Thanks for the help. But keep it coming

Hollowtip429

Established Member
fuel rail pressure sensor and its on the passenger side fuel rail i believe! You can search it there are lots of threads on this with pics too.

This is an interesting thread. So if the car starts running funny the way the poster described it can actaully be the result of damage to the FRPS? Everything I've read discussing the identification of the failure of this sensor indicated that the car wouldn't start if this was the case? I don't get it.

ViciousJay

Established Member
i know theres a button in the trunk that you need to press... its the fuel cut off... its ont eh drivers side under the carpet... push it and see what happens

Jamiecane

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
This is an interesting thread. So if the car starts running funny the way the poster described it can actaully be the result of damage to the FRPS? Everything I've read discussing the identification of the failure of this sensor indicated that the car wouldn't start if this was the case? I don't get it.
I let the car cool down for about 30min then it started fine. Tryed to start it this morning it would turnover but would not start. Held the gas pedle to the ground and it started with a strong smell of gas and white smoke coming out the tail pipe. I pulled the pluge and they where black as can be. That is why I changed the plugs. I hope its the FRPS that would be a cheep fix compared to a bottom end.

Jamiecane said:
Where is the FRPS at. And once I know where it is just unplug it and see if it idles better.

I did get it started but only would stay running if my foot was on the gas. White smoke just pooring out tail pipe.

Thanks for the help. But keep it coming

Well I'm no expert...but I believe you only get white smoke coming out of the pipes when coolant flows into the motor. :(

SVT_4_me

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Well I'm no expert...but I believe you only get white smoke coming out of the pipes when coolant flows into the motor. :(

i sucked a can of seafoam through the PCV in my '96 cobra and i have never seen so much white smoke in my life... :D

Jamiecane

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I checked to see if there was coolant in the oil and if there was oil in the coolant non in ether. The next thing there was no white smoke when I took the car home. Just when I got the car running this morning. And a very strong smell of gas. That is why I got happy when this FRPS came up. Some of the stuff I have read I'll most hit it dead on. Pray for me. LOL

SVT_4_me said:
i sucked a can of seafoam through the PCV in my '96 cobra and i have never seen so much white smoke in my life... :D

:lol: I forgot about that. I used to Seafoam my 01 Cobra all the time. You OWNED me dude. :lol:

SVT_4_me

Established Member
Jamiecane said:
I checked to see if there was coolant in the oil and if there was oil in the coolant non in ether. The next thing there was no white smoke when I took the car home. Just when I got the car running this morning. And a very strong smell of gas. That is why I got happy when this FRPS came up. Some of the stuff I have read I'll most hit it dead on. Pray for me. LOL

good luck...

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
try smelling your oil and see if it smells of gas..... every TIME ive blown a FRPS, and ive blown 4, the oil smelled pretty strongly of gas. Some say it already does, cuz of synthetic, i dont care- mine doesnt when its fresh and no blown sensor, when the sensor is blown- it stanks of fuel.

Jamiecane said:

Dude please update this thread when the problem is diagnosed. I definitely will pary for you because I've been through the whole rebuild process on my 01 Cobra and its not pretty. Hopefully this is all it is and it then becomes another thread that can save someone from a heart attack.

BTW, how many miles on your tune and whats your A/F and do you have any cooling mods and upgraded H/E?

Jamiecane

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Dude please update this thread when the problem is diagnosed. I definitely will pary for you because I've been through the whole rebuild process on my 01 Cobra and its not pretty. Hopefully this is all it is and it then becomes another thread that can save someone from a heart attack.

BTW, how many miles on your tune and whats your A/F and do you have any cooling mods and upgraded H/E?
My A/F is 11.5 to 11.8, I have a LFP H/E and a LFP coolent tank, About 3000 to 5000 on the tune. BF 2.76 upper and Idelers changes out. C&L CAI and Mac 3in cat back. Thats it. And thanks for the prayers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread