How do I tune my cobra? (Noob alert)

Adltdrvn

Established Member
I would like to install the billetflow 2.93 pulley and idlers to my 03. What else do I need to do once the new pulleys and belt are on? Does the car need to be dyno tuned? Does it need to be tuned at all?

My previous car was an 07 GT with the spanish oak processor. Every time you modded the car the ECU needed to be reflashed with a mail order or custom tune using a Diablo or SCT handheld tuner. A simple CAI mod required a new tune in order to avoid a lean condition. There are also tunes for 87, 89, & 91 octane.

Are the Cobra computers different? Do they know how to adapt to mods better than the newer cars?

Can I just install a new blower pulley and be on my way?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
No you shouldn't just put a pulley on there. Calling Amazon Tuning Solutions and get a hand held tuner from them. (1-864-332-0955) They will have a tune for your car that will be dead on. Then get it on a dyno to make some pulls checking the a/f ratio, timing... Then let Rick know and he will make any changes if need be.

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
No you shouldn't just put a pulley on there. Calling Amazon Tuning Solutions and get a hand held tuner from them. (1-864-332-0955) They will have a tune for your car that will be dead on. Then get it on a dyno to make some pulls checking the a/f ratio, timing... Then let Rick know and he will make any changes if need be.

+1, for Amazon, give Rick or Linn a call.

Adltdrvn

Established Member
Thanks for the help. Will definately check out Amazon.

What about a K&N FIPK? Can I simply bolt it on without a tune?

I'm looking for a good dyno shop/tuner in Chesapeake VA. JLT is right around the corner from me. Not sure if they have a dyno or not.

svtrookie

Established Member
You won't need a tune for just an FIPK, but a tune is def necessary if you do a pulley swap. If you don't go with Amazon talk to Jon Lund @ lund racing. He will set you up with a great tune.

Last edited:

93fakesnake

Established Member
Talk with Amazon and they will steer you in the right direction. You can't go wrong with them.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
+1 for Jon Lund for the tuning.

Anything that affects boost has to be tuned for. But these cars are so sensitive that even rotating the MAF will change the tune. Get it checked with a wideband just to be sure.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
buy an SCT and locate a good file tune man....these gents on here will guide you in the right direction

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I would like to install the billetflow 2.93 pulley and idlers to my 03. What else do I need to do once the new pulleys and belt are on? Does the car need to be dyno tuned? Does it need to be tuned at all?

My previous car was an 07 GT with the spanish oak processor. Every time you modded the car the ECU needed to be reflashed with a mail order or custom tune using a Diablo or SCT handheld tuner. A simple CAI mod required a new tune in order to avoid a lean condition. There are also tunes for 87, 89, & 91 octane.

Are the Cobra computers different? Do they know how to adapt to mods better than the newer cars?

Can I just install a new blower pulley and be on my way?

with a pulley smaller than 3.10 we recommend having your program revised.. if you are all stock except for the K&N you should be fine until you put the smaller pulley on...the 03s are not like the 05s and up where you need to retune even with a change to a JLT or similar set up

we sell our hand held flashers for $399 shipped with a custom tune.. this also entitles you to free revisions for as long as you have the car no matter what you add as long as you dont go to another tuner.. Rick can also do remote tuning session where he is actually tuning you from here in SC to where you are in your location on the dyno..or he can travel to your area and do a tuning day in person..then it comes to 03 cobra tuning rick pioneered it and has tuned hundreds and hundreds over the years since they first became available

03cobramanIII

Banned
amazon! im driving there . i need work done there too. plus tuning . then i'll be able to sleep at night again. it's alway's good to find a repatale tuner like ATS.
all tuners are not' all equal , trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread