How do you insure the expensive mods on your car or insure it for an agreed car valu?

Velatorix

Established Member
Hey guys, I realize I am brand new here and it may be kind of brash posting a thread as the first thing I do here, but I am hoping I can glean from your veterans years of wisdom. This is the deal: I want to buy a 2001 SVT Cobra that is pretty heavily modified. The problem is this, according to KBB and NADA a 2001 Cobra with 10,000 miles is only worth between $11,000-$14,000. Therefore the insurance company will only give me that or less if it's wrecked. I would be paying $25,000 for the car in pristine/show condition. The guy who owns it had nearly everything other than the interior replaced with the best of the best as far as suspension, wheels and tires, Al Papitto built Teksid Cobra block, JT trim supercharger, T-56 tranny, aluminum drive shaft, 4.10 Ford racing gears, full 3inch exhaust, auto meter phantom gauges, roll cage, etc, etc the list goes on and on. He showed me the receipts and he spent well over 50-60 grand on the mods and parts for the car alone, and that's not counting the stock car itself, which is in pristine condition. Obviously I'm getting a good deal here but I also want to be covered in the case of an accident. I only want to insure it for my purchase price of $25,000. For the last 2 days I have been searching the internet, calling insurance companies, and nobody will insure a car for the price you purchased it for or a set value amount other than classic car insurers and they only insure for someone over 25, and I am 19. I am about ready to pull out my short hair with tweezers I am so frustrated that I can't find a company that will insure it. I was hoping that other SVT enthusiasts like yourselves would be able to tell me how you insure your cars when you modify them with whipple superchargers, gauges, or anything else you add to the car that cost a good amount of money and makes your cars worth more than the stock model would be. Are there companies that will insure just your mods like seperate from your car insurance policy, so that if you are in an accident they pay you what the mods were worth? Like for example, with collision on my policy they would pay me around $12,000 give or take. Is there a company I could get another policy with for an extra $13,000 to cover the difference between the insurance payout and what I purchased the car for or is there a company that will cover the price of some mods? Basically all I want is to be insured so that if it gets totalled I'll get close to $25,000 and won't have to take a huge loss. I'm just getting into the high performance/modded car world so I'm not sure if I just am not aware of how you guys do it or if there is actually no way to insure them. I have searched google with every keyword I could think of that's even remotely related to car insurance or mod insurance the past two days and I can't find anything close to what I'm looking for other than classic car insurance which I don't qualify for. If any of you guys could give me any information about thise issue or what my options are I would greatly greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Vela :shrug:

PS. I forgot to say Progressive seems to have a set market value you can put on your car but there insurance rate is insane. So far they are the only company that comes close to what I am trying to do but are there any other options or companies that I could compare Progressives quote too?

Last edited:

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
greaterwall.jpg

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
When we got our HRE's, we just called our agent (Farmers) and had their value added to the policy. Cost us an extra $1.70/mo.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
1) mods dont add value
2) youre overpaying
3) you must have money lying around becuase you arent gonna get a $25k loan for a $11,000 car either.
4) why not call your ins. company and see what they say?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
1) mods dont add value
2) youre overpaying
3) you must have money lying around becuase you arent gonna get a $25k loan for a $11,000 car either.
4) why not call your ins. company and see what they say?

#3 i'll sell mine for $20k if thats the prices were talking here lol :banana:

Velatorix

Established Member
Alright, sorry about the text color guys, I changed it.

pho phizzat, that's not the car, this one is substantially better and has 9,300miles/1500miles since the drivetrain was replaced and the build was finished.

thomas, I called my insurance broker and they don't have a company that will insure the mods or insure it for my purchase price. And yes I would be paying cash, I've been waiting and saving a long time for a nice and fast car. In person the car is show quality and stupid fast. 758RWHP with a mild race tune.

I appreciate your replies so far guys, and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to explain the situation as thoroughly as possible. I'm still calling around to see if I can find a way to insure it, still no luck =(.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Alright, sorry about the text color guys, I changed it.

pho phizzat, that's not the car, this one is substantially better and has 9,300miles/1500miles since the drivetrain was replaced and the build was finished.

thomas, I called my insurance broker and they don't have a company that will insure the mods or insure it for my purchase price. And yes I would be paying cash, I've been waiting and saving a long time for a nice and fast car. In person the car is show quality and stupid fast. 758RWHP with a mild race tune.

I appreciate your replies so far guys, and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to explain the situation as thoroughly as possible. I'm still calling around to see if I can find a way to insure it, still no luck =(.

thats shit load of HP for a 19 yr old man...just saying. you even said its "stupid fast"..
why don't you buy a Terminator and fix it yourself? i always feell like there's more satisfaction when you do things on your own rather than buy someone elses work and satisfaction, even when it comes to just washing the car rather than the wash tub....
just saying..:shrug:

Dusten

Established Member
I know my insurance just requires me to fill out a form listing all things i want insured(custom work) and they add that to the monthly premium(my powerstroke for instance has the wheels and lift insured.)

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
lol my car is worth a whole lot more than I thought. You do realize the kind of premiums that you're asking for right? 19, 800+hp? Insurance company will have to buy new calculators for your policy.

Jefe

Established Member
$25k for a heavily modded 01 Cobra? Just stay away....please. Buy an 03/04 for less than that, get it insured under blue book value and put a little bit of coin into and youll be much happier with the same amount of power. Tried 21st Century Insurance? Barrett Jackson Insurance? Grundy?

To answer your question though, I work for Farmers and I can add up to $15k customization to any auto policy.

Users who are viewing this thread