How do you prolong tire life on a car you don't drive?

70Maverick

Established Member
I don't see a general tech forum which is where I think this belongs. It doesn't apply to any car or truck in particular so I put it here.

I know putting it up on blocks so the weight of the car isn't on the tires is supposed to be a big help. I drive mine a couple times a month probably and I am not willing to do that. It is too hard to get it down to drive it. I don't have tools to get it up and down easily and I would end up never driving it.

So that being said, is there anything else you can do besides keeping the sunlight off of them to make them last? I never wear out tires, they always end up dry rotting on me.

Thanks

svt_fan1129

Established Member
when i used to store my old svt contour, i put it up on blocks in the garage. take off the tire and store them in the basement, I also took the air out as well.

but to answer ur question. dont put that wax shit on ur tires. use tire acid. that"ll prolong it

Last edited:

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
1) Get a solar powered battery tender (Harbor Freight to trickle charge your battery).
2) Run the tank to just about empty then fill it up and add stabil fuel stabilizer before filling up the tank to full.
3) Run the vehicle in the drive way for about 5-10 minutes a week going forward and back to keep the engine oil and tranny fluid circulating so the seals don't rot out.
4) Keep an eye on your anti-freeze and brake fluid because it will evaporate (Summer months).

70Maverick

Established Member
1) Get a solar powered battery tender (Harbor Freight to trickle charge your battery).
2) Run the tank to just about empty then fill it up and add stabil fuel stabilizer before filling up the tank to full.
3) Run the vehicle in the drive way for about 5-10 minutes a week going forward and back to keep the engine oil and tranny fluid circulating so the seals don't rot out.
4) Keep an eye on your anti-freeze and brake fluid because it will evaporate (Summer months).

Are you drunk?

I would have to say there is no possible way you could have read one word of my thread. Not even one.

Thanks for the advice on how to STORE A CAR though that has nothing to do with what I asked.

70Maverick

Established Member
when i used to store my old svt contour, i put it up on blocks in the garage. take off the tire and store them in the basement, I also took the air out as well.

but to answer ur question. dont put that wax shit on ur tires. use tire acid. that"ll prolong it

Tire acid huh? That sounds like something that would preserve a tire alright. Any link to where one would buy acid to put on a tire? :dw:

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Tires are a shelf-life item. Even in the best conditions they aren't going to last forever. Keep them properly inflated and out of the sun as much as possible. Budget to spring for new ones every 6 - 8 years if they are dry rotting on you and you never fully wear them out.

svt_fan1129

Established Member
Tire acid huh? That sounds like something that would preserve a tire alright. Any link to where one would buy acid to put on a tire? :dw:

forgot what its called but its to remove the residue from tire shine and eliminate brown spots caused from the wax and sun.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Tires are a shelf-life item. Even in the best conditions they aren't going to last forever. Keep them properly inflated and out of the sun as much as possible. Budget to spring for new ones every 6 - 8 years if they are dry rotting on you and you never fully wear them out.

This x 65,000.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Are you drunk?

I would have to say there is no possible way you could have read one word of my thread. Not even one.

Thanks for the advice on how to STORE A CAR though that has nothing to do with what I asked.
No I only read part of the title sorry about that.

Scottyk

Established Member
You should have no problem wearing the tires out only driving it 2 times a month, just need to pull your skirt up and drive the dam thing

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Donuts, burnouts, holeshots wagging the dog, etc...
even the old scandinavian flick helps...
Oh to make em last?
uh, no tire shine, proper inflation, no sunlight, and if you can keep em from being in an area with drastic temp change.
Going from freezing cold, to driving temp is a bitch on tires.
Keep em warm as much as possible.

oldmodman

Established Member
Want tires to last nearly forever?
Park indoors.
If you can't you can get these canvas tire covers from Harbor Freight.
4 Piece Storm-Proof Wheel Covers - Up to 24"
They are on sale right now. They have a piece of spring steel inside the back edge of the cover to hold it on the wheel. I have been using them for ten years on a couple of storage trailers that I have in my backyard and the tires still look like new. No cracking at all.

Users who are viewing this thread