How does one get started in car sales?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Some of my best friends have sold cars, been managers at dealers, etc & even they refuse to ever do it again. Shit hours, shit coworkers, shit customers, blah blah. I've been in sales for a long time (not selling cars) & people suck.

This thread makes me want to share my latest shit experience with a dealer. I am looking for a parts hauler/winter beater. Found a couple potentials at a dealer in Horsham, PA. Emailed & no reply. I wanted to take a top down drive anyway so drove out to look at this Explorer. Find it & look it over alone with no one ever coming over to me (On a Saturday mind you). So I go inside & ask for someone to show me the SUV. I'm told I'm next in line. No biggie. I stroll around the showroom waiting for 10-15 minutes & am never spoken to. I had enough and left.

I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same dealer that I stopped into back in 2011 to look at a new GT500 (Rolled up in a new CTS-V that I had for an extended test drive) only be treated like a retard and they refused to allow a test drive.

The older I get, the more I want to say F dealers & buy from private parties only. Sadly, cannot do that if you want a new car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some of my best friends have sold cars, been managers at dealers, etc & even they refuse to ever do it again. Shit hours, shit coworkers, shit customers, blah blah. I've been in sales for a long time (not selling cars) & people suck.

It's like that in every and any business.

It is what you make of it.

Next time you're looking for a new car, I'd love to show you what the transaction is suppose to be like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Never_Enough

Established Member

Next time you're looking for a new car, I'd love to show you what the transaction is suppose to be like.

I miss Saturn. I bought cars from 2 Saturn dealers & those were the best car buying experiences ever.
Yup, shit people, etc in every industry, but seems to be more common in some vs others.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I miss Saturn. I bought cars from 2 Saturn dealers & those were the best car buying experiences ever.
Yup, shit people, etc in every industry, but seems to be more common in some vs others.
I just think some are mentioned more often than not...especially on car forums haha
You guys are doing it wrong. I'm buying my my wife a new escape and I'll call Nick, easy stuff.
I'll definitelyyyyy take care of her, Brad. No worries.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
IMG_1312.JPG
I just think some are mentioned more often than not...especially on car forums haha

I'll definitelyyyyy take care of her, Brad. No worries.

Gonna call you in the next few weeks Nick. I'm sure you would, the small ones...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

100%. Most industries have shitty hours and steep expectations at some level or another.

As a car salesman, expect to work long days and weekends. If you want to excel, you do what you have to do.

Im in trucking and its the same. When I started in my industry I worked a Wednesday through Saturday shift 13 hour days 10pm to 11am. Awful, awful. All that for $730 per week LOL. I must have been crazy.

Now, 17 years later, things are much better but you have to start somewhere.

BTW sales in any industry can be very lucrative. Our local sales reps average $110k/year or so. Our top sales guy made $250k last year. But hes a bad ass and absolute workaholic. He CANNOT STAND being beat by someone else.

Good on him!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
did i just read that there are car salesmen making more than surgeons? Is this real life?

Branhammer

Established Member
I hated selling cars. But @13COBRA, based on past discussions, will tell you I was a bad salesman. And he's right haha. I could sell cars but couldn't make profit (everything went at invoice and the dealership pay system was not set up to make money on invoice sales) so I made no money.

In hind sight, it probably should've been a red flag that I hate the general public/want them to die. If I had been a member of SVTP earlier, I could've asked 13Cobra the same questions you are asking and saved myself some frustration haha.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
did i just read that there are car salesmen making more than surgeons? Is this real life?

Yep. Just as there are guys who play video games for a living that make more than surgeons.

I hated selling cars. But @13COBRA, based on past discussions, will tell you I was a bad salesman. And he's right haha. I could sell cars but couldn't make profit (everything went at invoice and the dealership pay system was not set up to make money on invoice sales) so I made no money.

In hind sight, it probably should've been a red flag that I hate the general public/want them to die. If I had been a member of SVTP earlier, I could've asked 13Cobra the same questions you are asking and saved myself some frustration haha.

LOL

Kiohtee

Established Member
My bad. lol

Ban? Lol

I deal with the general public in my current position anyway, as well as having to watch numbers (remembering what was paid for an item so it doesn't sell for less than that, where to buy said item cheapest, etc.) and monitor inventory, so I'm hoping to excel at sales combining my drive with all that.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I could tell you guys some shit about professional eSports athletes income that would blow your mind.

It is absolutely mind boggling how much money people can make gaming at a professional level. Not to mention endorsements and free products from gaming companies in the form of systems, controllers, entire PC setups, etc.

Even being a successful YouTube vlogger (300K+ subscribers) make bank.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
There is money to be made in it. I used to wrench on cars for a local defunct Ford dealer. I hated it once I went flat rate. Favoritism in service advisors etc. Got out of it Miss it at times even thought about being a service advisor at one point.

My point is my brother has sold cars for ten years. This last place he has been at he has cleared 6 figures. He just recently got promoted to sales manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Ive spent a total of 5 years at dealerships. I work in service but started out working in sales. Never in my life would I be a salesman. The hours are absolutely insane. Most salesman work 6 days a week with 12 hour shifts. And usually a dealership will have 2 or 3 top selling salesman and the rest starve. Yeah you can make good money. Our top guy was clearing 250-300k a year during the cash for clunkers sale. but, l'd rather have a life then just sit on my ass all day and potentially not get a single sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread