How easy are our cars to steal?

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
I've seen a couple of threads about cobras being stolen. Are these cars being hot wired? Are these cars easy to steal? The reason I ask is because I have a vert and I wondering if I should get an aftermarket alarm or start disable kit?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
They are very easy to steal with a wrecker to snatch the car.

You can use the antenna to hit the unlock button. You can blame that on the fact mustang's don't use a channel to seal the window. They just use a one-sided seal.

I locked my keys in my car and was shocked that it took me less than a minute to get back in.

But they still can't just hotwire it and run due to the PATS system.

I personally think they are easier to break into than the foxbodies that only need a screwdriver.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
easy. the pats is a good system, but not fool proof, they can be towed off easily....they don't even have to open the door. they can drag it onto the truck...

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
have a car alarm that pages you and get out there with a pistol loaded with hollow points...does the trick for me.

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
any good protection out there for verts esp?? A friend of mine had her jeep top cut and broken into.. im scared to death of that happening to my car..I know these tops are not cheap!!

coild

Established Member
spinscan said:
How much is this installed-ballpark figure.
$430 which includes them driving 2 hours to my house to install it. Very professional installation. These guys know their stuff.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I don't leave my car in compromising situations. I drive a cheap S-10 daily and leave the Termy locked up @ home.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
spinscan said:
How much is this installed-ballpark figure.
Installation cost is between $300. - $400. according to this video. http://ravelco.com/video/abc7_news_ravelco.mp4

This device is very effective at preventing the car from being started, but won't help if the thieves simply pull the car onto a flat bed trailer. Or jack it up and strip it in 7 minutes or less. It will only prevent the car from being started. The guarantee is that the Revelco device can't be defeated when installed correctly. But if the car is towed away (and therefore not started), there's no guarantee.

The bottom line is that the best you can do is install a good theft deterent device....like this one. Or a LoJack. But if a thief wants your car bad enough, he'll get it. We had one guy here who had thieves break into his garage and steal his car. That was bold, but proves that it is just about impossible to guarantee it will never happen.

I wonder how many people have combination anti-theft devices. Like, for example, the Revelco device and LoJack. So that if the car IS towed it can at least be tracked.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
11Sec_Lx said:
I don't leave my car in compromising situations. I drive a cheap S-10 daily and leave the Termy locked up @ home.
I was always very careful where I took my Cobra. I had no problem driving through so-so areas, but I would never park it there. And even when parking in a good area, I always looked for a very visible, high-profile location. Anything you can do to deter thievs is a plus.

AllAccessLock

Ur Licensed SVT Locksmith
Established Member
to a trained person with equipment the vats can be defeated in 5 minutes. but we're talking 3k worth of stuff. But then again I guess the first one you steal and it pays for itself.
as far as opening the doors a slimjim and 5 seconds

juiced414

Established Member
AllAccessLock said:
to a trained person with equipment the vats can be defeated in 5 minutes. but we're talking 3k worth of stuff. But then again I guess the first one you steal and it pays for itself.
as far as opening the doors a slimjim and 5 seconds

Actually it takes 10 min to defeat the pats system. You would also have to make 2 keys. These cars that are getting stolen are taken with tow trucks. So alarms are worthless! I'm going 2 buy this... http://www.mymobileguardian.com/
Then if it's stolen I'll track where it went and send the cops there.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
if a thief want to steal your car, its gone. less you catch him in the act and have a bigger gun than him. and in that case, you'll probably be the one going to jail. thieves have more rights than you.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Ghoust said:
have a car alarm that pages you and get out there with a pistol loaded with hollow points...does the trick for me.

I had one of those years ago on my 1979 Trans Am. We were in the movies and the alarm went off. Got out in time to see my rear window louvers been thrown into the back of a pickup and seeing a guy jump over a 8 - 9 foot wall and land on his face. By the time we got across the street to where he was his buddies came back for him and dragged his butt into the truck and sped off. The LEO that investigated told me they would probably be back to get the retainer clips since they were left on the car. Well I never did get my louvers back even though I found them and took the detective to the car where they were at. The boy pulled a receipt for them and that was fine for him. Even though my VIN/Ser number was etched into the louvers. Sucks but I learned a tough and expensive lesson.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
coild said:
Always park with the wheel cranked all the way to one side. Still can't stop the real pros. Also, check out this: http://ravelco.com/
I just had one installed; makes me feel lots better.
it sounds promising. i will continue research and prolly buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread