How fast does a stock lightning go through the quarter?

Robb03

Established Member
Hi guys, I was just wondering how fast a stock lightning will do a a quarter mile. Also, how many horses does it put to the ground bone stock? Is it under rated like the cobra? I have a dakota 4.7L 5 speed that I use for the track in addition to my cobra which I use just for the street. I am debating whether to mod that out or just buy a lightning. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
A stock new L makes 380 BHP which is about 325 at the wheels.

With a decent driver a stock L will pull 13.4 - 13.6 in the quarter.

With about $1500 in parts you can easily get to the mid-low 12's with no problem.

Good Luck

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Robb03
Hi guys, I was just wondering how fast a stock lightning will do a a quarter mile. Also, how many horses does it put to the ground bone stock? Is it under rated like the cobra? I have a dakota 4.7L 5 speed in addition to my cobra, and I am debating whether to mod that out or just buy a lightning. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

The 2001 up Lightnings put out 380 horse stock. They respond very well to mods. Ford says stock 1/4 times are 13.9 @ 100. But several members here have done better than that stock. Ok now to be honest with you> Sell the Dodge and get a Lightning. It will always be faster and handle better. You'll love it and won't regret the change. :beer:

svtcntrskid

Established Member
what do the 99 and 00 L's run in the 1/4? Doesn't Ford say something like 14.4? I know they have to run faster than that stock.

-Neal

NWUCIT

Established Member
Robb03

By all means, if you have a choice, go for the Lightning......then you will have a REAL dilemma (which one to drive TODAY).
You will never lose the :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D .

Robb03

Established Member
I'd get a lightning tomarrow if they had a manual transmission-that is the only thing that is stopping me. I HATE automatics. Even the wife maxima is a 6 speed (cause I am paying for it). Has there been any talk of having a manual availble? I have heard the SRT-10 is a 6-speed.....

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
I hated automatics untill the L . Now I wish they made the cobra in an automatic.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I'd get a lightning tomarrow if they had a manual transmission-that is the only thing that is stopping me. I HATE automatics. Even the wife maxima is a 6 speed (cause I am paying for it). Has there been any talk of having a manual availble? I have heard the SRT-10 is a 6-speed.....

Take your manual I'll take my Auto to Level 10 and see who eats who in the 1/4 mile. If Manuals were so superior why doesn't Force use one in his Funny?:nonono: :burnout:

Robb03

Established Member
I am hardly an expert on manuals vs automatics, I just like controlling the engine as opposed to letting the computer do it for me. Autos are definatley faster (and more predicitable) in the quarter. No arguement there either. The only thing that confuses me is how a 4 speed auto would be faster then a six speed manual if both cars are driven perfectly and are exactly the same otherwise. I was considering going with the Lightning despite the auto tranny, but then I realized it is just a two seater. I at least need a club cab. There is no way I can milk that dakota to make it fast as a lightning without seriously compromising it dependablity. That chevy ss thing is a joke and the SRT is so iffy who knows what is will be like if it ever hits the streets. Thanks for all ya'll imput though! I guess I will have to learn to live with just one high 12's car for now.

LLoverCrazyJay

SVT Lightning Pimp
Established Member
I am hardly an expert on manuals vs automatics, I just like controlling the engine as opposed to letting the computer do it for me. Autos are definatley faster (and more predicitable) in the quarter. No arguement there either. The only thing that confuses me is how a 4 speed auto would be faster then a six speed manual if both cars are driven perfectly and are exactly the same otherwise. I was considering going with the Lightning despite the auto tranny, but then I realized it is just a two seater. I at least need a club cab. There is no way I can milk that dakota to make it fast as a lightning without seriously compromising it dependablity. That chevy ss thing is a joke and the SRT is so iffy who knows what is will be like if it ever hits the streets. Thanks for all ya'll imput though! I guess I will have to learn to live with just one high 12's car for now.
You could get a chip, it would shift firmer, i would suggest a jdm. And a level 10 shift kit.:thumbsup:

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
My truck dynoed stock with the paper air filter and all at 356 rear wheel hp and 422 lb/tq and ran the 1/4 at 13.44@ 102.9mph. the truck is still all stock and will probably remain that way, but who knows when the warranty expires.

BlueSHO

i love lamp
Established Member
automatics have more mechanical loss than a stick.. for example, a lightnight with a 6-speed, would put more to the wheels on a dyno, than an auto with the same engine. but john force wants consistancy, and not driveability. a truck with a auto that shifts hard/fast enough to contend with a stick would be a pain in the ass since it would always shift hard as hell, whereas a stick you could shift a smooth as you want or as hard as you want whenever you want.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by svt_what???
what do the 99 and 00 L's run in the 1/4? Doesn't Ford say something like 14.4? I know they have to run faster than that stock.

-Neal

13.70 @ 100mph w/ 700 miles on the odometer - bone stock in 65 degreee temps.

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Originally posted by BlueSHO
automatics have more mechanical loss than a stick.. for example, a lightnight with a 6-speed, would put more to the wheels on a dyno, than an auto with the same engine. but john force wants consistancy, and not driveability. a truck with a auto that shifts hard/fast enough to contend with a stick would be a pain in the ass since it would always shift hard as hell, whereas a stick you could shift a smooth as you want or as hard as you want whenever you want.

Not true(the hard shifts part with an auto) unless I'm at WOT. I drive mine daily(41,000 miles on my 01 L) with no neck-snappin' shifts---now at the track; that's a whole different 'thang':burnout: !

Dan

wuplash

Established Member
Originally posted by Silverstrike
Take your manual I'll take my Auto to Level 10 and see who eats who in the 1/4 mile. If Manuals were so superior why doesn't Force use one in his Funny?:nonono: :burnout:

i don't think his sponsors would let him.

wuplash

Established Member

stick you a kb blower on your dakota it will respond well to it if you decide against the lightning.i had a 99 dak rt reg cab which i put a kb blower on set for 9lbs of boost along with there pulse divider headers and y pipe connected to a 2 chamber 40 series flowmaster muffler and hughes engines stage 1 heads and bigger tb it would hang with a 00 model lightning up to 70 mph but the electronic knox box that came with the earlier kits hindered getting better performance out of the setup.they have fixed this with there new optimizer ll computer interface.i would of kept my dak rt but i got to like the looks of the 01 lightning better and ended up selling it.now i wish i had kept the rt when i bought the lightning as it would make for a real good daily driver to work.:-D

Users who are viewing this thread