How fast is 5k RPM in 6th on stock height tires/stock gears?

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
In an 03 with a stock lightning upper/filter/catless midpipe/magnaflow catback and a tune?

Out of curiosity:coolman:

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
between 173-175mph, but the engine would of given up long before then

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
i tapped out of 5th gear once and i was 160mph give or take.

ive only done that once, exactly how bad is it on your motor?
has there been many cases of people blowing their motors or something?

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Search is back. Many many cases of high speed pulls leading to hurt engines. Is it guaranteed to happen? No, but its not worth risking it IMO.

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
I have heard about engines breaking at these speeds in 5th or 6th so just out of curiosity why is this? i mean wouldent going WOT in 2nd or 3d be about the same? i dont do these things out of fear of crashing my car i was just curios

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Piston to wall clearence is to close.

Thus with the heat generated by a long 5th/6th gear pull leads to unfortunate consequences. Usually with the #7 cylinder, due to the added lack of coolant flow to the back of the head.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
Whoops! Won't be doing any more of that. The speedo was pegged at 160 and I was still accelerating. So 173-175 huh? Yea that's too fast lol. That's the only time I accelerated in 6th. I've shifted into 5th at WOT and let off right after before but only a few times. OK no more 5th or 6th. I don't want to break my DD.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
how fast

thier was a guy who drove his to the saltflats to see if he could break 200mph..he went 178 and held it at 4800rpm ,,he didnt have approved tires on his car to go faster..when ford tested the cobra at the blue oval the cobra was pinned before the first turn..they say it needs a wing..ive only had my car pinned about a dozen times and knock on wood mines still holding up..last highspeed run was at 220k car now has 230k,,,but im stock..maybe thats why it hasnt blown like thie others ..go first run cobra.full exhuast change ,kn air filter ,predator performance tune..408/410 at the wheels not too bad..wish i had more just for fun

Users who are viewing this thread