How hard is it to install a clutch?

DoubleClutch

Established Member
Greetings SVTP community.
So i just purchased my exedy mach 500 grooved clutch and flywheel and am curious as to really how hard it is to install one yourself. I'm fairly competent with a wrench and i do have access to a lift and friends that are of similar ability to myself. After searching i really haven't found any conclusive videos or write-ups on clutch installs. A local reputable shop quoted me $475 to do the job. Worth it or nah? does anyone have any insight into what kind of computer resets i would have to perform such as crank position reset or anything like that? i do also have an SCT x4 which i thing has most of the resets and such on it. any input would be greatly appreciated. if anyone knows of any good write-ups or videos about i would appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance.

JDos1

Established Member
Just that monitor neutral misfire relearn or whatever. It's on the X4 and think it's listed as crank position relearn. Can't remember, it's been a while.

Difficulty is a matter of opinion. IMO it's easy, just time consuming. Use a ratcheting box end wrench to get the top two trans bolts. Use 2 ft or so of extensions to easily get the starter bolt that so many people cry about.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Just as mentioned above its not hard, usually just akward even with a buddy or two to get the trans in and out, then aligning everything. Make sure you torwue everything to spec also!

NastyNate420

Established Member
Ive done the clutch quite a few times in the Mach and its not too bad by yourself. get yourself a trans jack to make life easier. Also I use a jack on the front of the oil pan to get the engine to tilt back. makes for aligning the trans easier. Again this on a mach so the new ones will be a lil diff. Also I read some about the crank relearning on them. .....I used a mix 4ft extentions and 2ft extension. Don forget it might be easier to access bolt from inside the car through the shifter hole .

DoubleClutch

Established Member
And don't be a tight wad, replace the slave while you have the trans out.
No tight wads here homie. Luckily, it this situation at least, i'm fairly loose with my wads. ;) I ordered the Exedy Mach 500 groove kit with the pilot bearing and slave cylinder, exedy fly wheel, along with new pressure plate and flywheel bolts.

on a second, less suggestive note, anyone got the torque specs for a 14 MT-82/5.0?

JDos1

Established Member
Ive done the clutch quite a few times in the Mach and its not too bad by yourself. get yourself a trans jack to make life easier. Also I use a jack on the front of the oil pan to get the engine to tilt back. makes for aligning the trans easier. Again this on a mach so the new ones will be a lil diff. Also I read some about the crank relearning on them. .....I used a mix 4ft extentions and 2ft extension. Don forget it might be easier to access bolt from inside the car through the shifter hole .

Doesn't apply to these, IIRC no need to use a jack on the engine, the engine will tilt as you lower the trans slightly for access. Also nothing to access from inside the car.

No tight wads here homie. Luckily, it this situation at least, i'm fairly loose with my wads. ;) I ordered the Exedy Mach 500 groove kit with the pilot bearing and slave cylinder, exedy fly wheel, along with new pressure plate and flywheel bolts.

on a second, less suggestive note, anyone got the torque specs for a 14 MT-82/5.0?

Good, don't go cheap.
Follow this link. It's to the Factory Service Manual for the 2011. Same torque specs apply for you. I highly recommend buying ARP hardware for the flywheel.
ARP PN 156-2801 for the flywheel. Not certain if they make bolts for the pressure plate. Buy new ones from Ford as they are torque to yield and should be discarded. I reused mine with some loctite and 45k miles later have no issues but if you have the extra day to wait on them to come in (I didn't), buy them.

Here's the FSM link.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499

NastyNate420

Established Member
you use the jack when re installing the trans to tilt the engine back making it easier to align the trans. Also I found it easier to reach the top two bell housing bolt from the inside of the car through the shifter hole. there are many ways to skin a cat .

NastyNate420

Established Member
ALso on the mach (Im not sure if the new one are the same) there are 3 starter bolts and the 3rd is PITA to get to . MOST people only use 2 bolts and leave the 3rd one out

JDos1

Established Member
Again, this is a MT82 equipped 2011+ car, not a mach. There are many ways to skin a cat but now you're skinning a dog and there's a difference. You're not going to be accessing any bell housing bolts from inside the car. Starter bolts on the Coyote are cake. Please stop giving misinformation based off an entirely different generation of car.

hand-filer

Established Member
It's not that hard. I did it by myself with the car on jack stands. I used a floor jack and attached a 3/4" x 1' x 1' piece of plywood to it.
I'm old as the hills and not particularly strong either. You can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NastyNate420

Established Member
Im not giving any MIS-INFO... LIKE i stated ... THAT IS HOW ITS DONE ON A MACH!! If he can use what i said to make his like easier than so be it! I was trying to give the guy some sort of direction since no one else was giving him any!!
Ive changed plenty of clutches on different vehicles and a jack on the front of the engine has ALWAYS helped! .....then again maybe i dont know what im talking about !
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-engineers-are-sadists.1128224/#post-15476593

JDos1

Established Member
Don't get your panties in a wad.

OP, did you buy the Exedy kit that included the pilot and throw out bearing or just the clutch and flywheel by themselves?

DoubleClutch

Established Member
Don't get your panties in a wad.

OP, did you buy the Exedy kit that included the pilot and throw out bearing or just the clutch and flywheel by themselves?
i bought the kit that includes the pilot bearing and slave cylinder, as well as new pressure plate and flywheel bolts

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Id rather ask on this thread, than create a whole new one and flood the system. I want to keep my stock clutch until it is burnt up. What are the limits of the stock clutch?

I am about to swap all four camshafts, and have the CJ/Flexfuel/cats deleted. I do not intend on shifting at or past 7500, more like 7000 for a daily driver. Id like to get the most utility out of the parts I am already provided with.

Update: I found a good source of information:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/limits-of-stock-clutch.861411/

however, if anyone else wants to chime in with personal experiences go for it.

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
Power wise varies greatly depending on how much clamping force the stock pressure plate still has. The Valeo plate isn't that great and doesn't seem very consistent. Mileage wise, unless you slip it a lot or do a lot of driving in traffic you can easily see 100-150k miles+.

Users who are viewing this thread