How important is a degree (education)?

forbanger

Established Member
I work in the finance field and process a lot of applications. I have come across some ridiculous salaries/wages in surprising fields.

i.e.

-Auto sales rep (typical ford dealership) made $118k last year and ytd as of June 1st is $60k.

-Asst Manager at big box warehouse retailer (Sams Costco)....$90K salary.

I know these people from high school and they never went to college.

I on the other hand have a degree in Finance and a minor in Econ. Went to school for 5 years (lol!). I don't even make close to that ($70k). I work hard and do my best in everything I do. I guess I just don't have enough luck.

Anyway, just venting on what the universe had in store for me. Oh well, family is healthy and secure.

coposrv

Established Member
In the long run education is very important. As far as degrees go it really depends on your intended career field. Some companies are just looking for a bachelors to show you can at least finish something. Others don't give a shit. In the end it's up the individual and your future career. I work with plenty of guys who hussle and spend 8-9 months a year on the road and make 150-200k. I also work with guys who have the education and more importantly the experience who don't have too, to make the same money.

TrevorR90

Banned
That must include a lot of overtime or commission. No way an assistant manager will make 90k. THat sales rep must be a helluva salesman. I remember a thread a while back that everyone listed their income. Everyone made close to six figures but many admitted tons of overtime.

Oh and in the long run the degree is worth it. Lets say their companies go under. They are out of a job and there is no guarantee they will get the same job they did previously at the same pay with the same customer base. At least with a degree you will do one thing for a long time unless you change careers.

Last edited:

blwn306

Established Member
It just depends what you wanna do. To me I think degrees are a waist of time, however I need one to do what I love doing. I made about ten grand a month without a degree now the carreer I chose I won't get close to that with my degree unless I become a hot shot coach! Now I'm poor Ahaha life is crazy my man!

forbanger

Established Member
It just depends what you wanna do. To me I think degrees are a waist of time, however I need one to do what I love doing. I made about ten grand a month without a degree now the carreer I chose I won't get close to that with my degree unless I become a hot shot coach! Now I'm poor Ahaha life is crazy my man!

Just kind of envious.

My wife is the breadwinner in my family. She has a masters degree (medical field) and a $1500 student loan payment to prove it. She makes more than both of the guys I had mentioned. But again they didn't go to school for 10 years and have a loan payment for the next 10yrs.

HoustonGT

Established Member
I work in the finance field and process a lot of applications. I have come across some ridiculous salaries/wages in surprising fields.

i.e.

-Auto sales rep (typical ford dealership) made $118k last year and ytd as of June 1st is $60k.

-Asst Manager at big box warehouse retailer (Sams Costco)....$90K salary.

I know these people from high school and they never went to college.

I on the other hand have a degree in Finance and a minor in Econ. Went to school for 5 years (lol!). I don't even make close to that ($70k). I work hard and do my best in everything I do. I guess I just don't have enough luck.

Anyway, just venting on what the universe had in store for me. Oh well, family is healthy and secure.

You need to keep in mind that those situations are the exception, not the norm.

The Assist Manager role (Costco specifically) takes about 10-15 years to achieve if not longer. Alot of factors to consider in getting promoted to that level, including 60hr weeks, having no weekends, and playing politics for a long time. Also, have to hope you get lucky at the end of all that and make it to an Asst. Manager.I worked for Costco for 4 years, was in a management role (while in college) and can tell you that while it can work out for those without a degree, many of the senior managers had a bachelors or were there for quite some time. I knew plenty of management level employees who had been there 20+ years and were still in the 60-70k range.

A car salesman can indeed make a great deal of money when the going is good, but it is never a solid stream of income and most do not see anywhere near six figures. Also remember that the guys bringing in that level of money are working 6 days a week and putting in 60+ hours to get it done. In general, if you are good in sales, there are plenty of opportunities to make a shitload of money, but many of those positions also happen to require a bachelor's degree to get it done.

70k/yr is probably more than about 75% of the US population; focus on the long-term and you'll make that money in no time, especially if you're young. Can't compare your salary to those around you who are 20 or even 10 years older than you. ;-)

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Car sales can be up and down and its a slimy business, lost of people trying to snake your deals and many days you make nothing. When I was younger I had the option to work in parts dept. or sales. I chose parts because the managers in sales were dicks, the people that sold cars were dicks, and I saw too many of them stressed out of their mind trying to make unrealistic quotas at the end of the month. I worked at a Fortune 500 car dealer. Anytime anyone did too well they put them on salary and expected them to produce the same for less.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ask xxxGadflyxxx

He could not get a 200K dollar a year job when he graduated.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member

facepalm.png

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The way I see it is if you want to do something for a living that you like, get a degree. If you dont care, dont get one. Also, having connections these days is so important. Just meeting people wherever you go is always good. Everyone I meet I try and make a good impression, you never know who you will be talking to in the future.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
A degree is important cuz you can fall back on that piece of paper when others can only fall back on experience. Then combine a degree with experience when competing for a promotion or open vacancy....

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Degrees matter when you want to move up the chain. Some people get lucky because they get their foot in the door by knowing people. You are going to plateau with minimal education. You can be smart and a quick learner but there are just some things that a college education will teach you that you can't learn on your own.

But I do agree that you can live a good life without a college education. It just depends on your worth ethics, drive and dedication to your line of work.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
The education is something nobody can take away from you. My degree was in econ with a specialty in finance. While I no longer work directly in those fields, I still utilize the knowledge base to help make better decisions on a daily basis.
Now if you are studying some stupid shit like the history of 18th century Irish homosexuals (or journalism), no it isn't worth it. The problem does not lie in a perceived devaluation of a post secondary education. It is found in the fact that lazy people get degrees in stupid worthless fields (creative writing anyone?) then wonder why three years out of school they are still a barista serving coffee to the people who studied medicine, engineering, or a trade of some sort like masonry or electrical.
Education is never bad. But it is only worth it if the market wants it.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
It all depends on what you're trying to use it for. Specific degrees are required for specific fields. If your goal is to get in to one of those fields obviously the degree becomes very important. And some employers require a degree of some sort to even be considered.

The employers I was looking at before I decided to go into detailing full time were more interested in certification in specific areas combined with experience. I turned down several 6 figure jobs that required nothing beyond a HS diploma as long as you had a yellow or green belt in Lean Six Sigma and had experience with logistics/ supply chain management and Oracle.

NELCO

Established Member
Forbanger, those numbers are awesome. Is that just salary? Are you adding what they pay for med and pension (401).
Nelco

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I started working at my company part time for $5.25/hr back in 1988. I did not complete my degree, mostely because job opportunities within my company made me chose to put school on the 'back burner' in favor of dedicating 100% of my efforts into my career.

24 years later, I am earning well over 6 figures, have had several promotions and relocations. I have also had sever job offers to move to other companies, that I have declined.

I do wish I had completed my degree, but it had not prevented me from advancing in my career. I will say that I had to work for 5-6 years in 'grunt' type jobs to earn a place wear many college grads start off in my company.

Lastely, initiative, competence and self determination will win out over a typical degree in many situations. Without those qualities, a degree is just paper.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
in certain fields a degree will make or break you.

In most fields a degree with get you an interview.

If I were to interview again I'd flat out lie just to talk to a recruiter then explain. I have a friend who is a headhunter and she just skips to the education field and if there is anything less than a master's she moves on.

Users who are viewing this thread