How long did you wait before beating on it?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
FEARSNO1 said:
i found the link to the page on engine break-in that i used, seems to make since, check it out and give your opinion.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Read that earlier, it SEEMS to make sense, but I don't know much about internal mechanics other than the basics. It does make sense that the rings would scrape oil rather than seal the chamber during the compression stroke, but I'm not too sure.

I can't remember what I did on the 03. I think I took it easy for a bit then started to get on it.

MADGREEK

Established Member
Smoked the tires out of glendale star(10miles) Like I did with my 03,01,96. Ford runs all there engines for about 20 hours before they put them in there cars.

bluestreak89

Established Member
People act like it will kill them to drive 500 miles to preserve the cars they love so much. Yeah many motors are broken in from the factory but what about drivetrain components and clutches?????? IT'S ONLY 500 MILES!!!!!!!!!! Buying a used car is a whole different ball game because it's not up to you but how many people have you heard bought a used car with low miles and have to replace the clutch after 1k miles, I know I have heard it plenty of times. Because people wont take the time to break the car in properly.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
People act like it will kill them to drive 500 miles to preserve the cars they love so much. Yeah many motors are broken in from the factory but what about drivetrain components and clutches?????? IT'S ONLY 500 MILES!!!!!!!!!! Buying a used car is a whole different ball game because it's not up to you but how many people have you heard bought a used car with low miles and have to replace the clutch after 1k miles, I know I have heard it plenty of times. Because people wont take the time to break the car in properly.

So what's the 500 mile plan? Varying RPM, taking it easy then bringign up the RPMs a little at a time?

PbFoot

Established Member
FEARSNO1 said:
i found the link to the page on engine break-in that i used, seems to make since, check it out and give your opinion.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I like this approach, though I wouldn't want to get into max rpm right away.

How much of this ring seating break-in is done at the factory (and do they use synthetic for that?) Would it make sense to replace the synthetic with dino for the first hundred miles?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I think it would make the most sense that the factory accounted for these cars being sold to the masses, gearheads or not.

They know that some people will be beating on them from day 1, and some people will be babying them for many miles. It would make sense that they would either do some initial break in at the factory, or design them in a way that the early driving habits of the customer are not going to make or break the life of the motor. Otherwise they would be getting a lot more grenaded motors before the warranty period expires.. :shrug:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I did forget to mention...I was getting on the car as I would normally drive it, but I wasn't shifting hard or powershifting till around 350 miles after the clutch had some break in time.

bluestreak89

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
I did forget to mention...I was getting on the car as I would normally drive it, but I wasn't shifting hard or powershifting till around 350 miles after the clutch had some break in time.

thank you. :beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Dude at SVT this morning stated to take it easy and vary the RPMs the first 500, change oil, take it to 1,000 with a little higher RPMs, change oil, then weeeeeeeee :burnout:

Not looking forward to jamming 1,000 on it anytime soon, guess it will take me awhile.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
Dude at SVT this morning stated to take it easy and vary the RPMs the first 500, change oil, take it to 1,000 with a little higher RPMs, change oil, then weeeeeeeee :burnout:

Not looking forward to jamming 1,000 on it anytime soon, guess it will take me awhile.

Just go take it for a 100 mile trip on the weekends, vary your rpm's and what not it'll be over before you know it and then you can slam it :beer:

bluestreak89

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:

I wouldnt be concerned about the motor so much as was mentioned before they are broken in from the factory and you ARE under warranty. I would be more concerned about the clutch and drivetrain, for 500 miles just keep it below 3000 rpm, then go for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread