How long until the IMRCs go out?

Tickle

Established Member
I've been pulling a imrc stuck closed on the left bank for about a month now. I've cleared it and driven a couple of weeks without any dtcs. Now the code has popped up twice this weekend.

Any chance it's just gunked up or do I need to be looking towards deletes? I'm trying to slow down with regards to spending money on this this other than regular maintenance.

How long until the code pops up ever time I drive it? Anyone with similar experience? Fwiw, I can't tell any difference at lower or higher rpms when I have the cel.

redrocket16

Established Member
Did you clean them when you cleared the codes?

If so, it may be the actual unit going bad.

Tickle

Established Member
I cleaned them last year/10k miles ago. Not a problem until now.

Eta: I didn't clean them when I got the code

LilBerx

Established Member
MMR makes some nice quality delete plates, don't let the price scare you.

96Mystic1189

Established Member
Do these IMRC's really cause oil usage and valve guide wear when they dont work correctly? Is that sales hype or should we not drive these cars when they dont work right?

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
I've had the same issue for a few years now. I haven't cleaned them ever. I only have 42k on the car. If I'm not mistaken, to answer the question above, the imrc's aren't the cause of oil usage, it's actually the result of oil usage. Oil atomizes and flows thru your PVC system through the intake/ imrc's, and into the combustion chamber. The oil collects inside the intake causing the valves to gum up and stick. This is why a lot of guys run an oil catch, to keep out all that unwanted oil and keep the intake/ imrc's clean. I'm def gonna at least clean mine and add an oil separator, I haven't quite decided to pull the trigger on the mmr deletes yet. And to answer the original question from the OP, my car won't throw a code at all for the imrc's unless I'm beating on it. If I do an occasional pull to 5000- redline, I normally don't have a problem. It's when I start running it to redline thru all the gears is when I'll throw a code. If you do clean them again rather than delete, I'd def recommend looking into an oil separator because it's just going to keep happening due to the design of the engine.

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I had a local shop clean and weld plates for me for $75 a few years ago. Worked like a charm. Delete them!

Users who are viewing this thread