How many miles left after the LOW FUEL light?

Juiced-03

Established Member
Good question, although I wouldn't push it anymore than 10 miles. When that light comes on, I go straight to the gas station. That needle moves quite fast once it gets below a 1/4 tank so there's no telling how much is left.

ModsAway

Established Member
I've never clocked it either but damn does that needle plummet. I really wish there was a "low fuel light" and then a "dude get gas NOW light".

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
That needle goes pretty freakin low and you still have gas. I think the most I have gone on it is like 30 miles though (highway), and I had almost a gallon to spare when filling up :-D . The light has to come on with more than 10 miles warning, or it would be really pointless. The lowest I can remember seeing my needle is like two needle's widths below the E mark. I really don't trust the needle much anyway, I think it is done pretty conservatively in the computer.

bp03svt

Established Member
ModsAway said:
I've never clocked it either but damn does that needle plummet. I really wish there was a "low fuel light" and then a "dude get gas NOW light".

Hell yeah, I'm with you on that bro LOL.

I have no idea how much is left because the thought of leaving my ride on the side of the road for some civic-driving-gangsta-mob boss-hustla-pimp to come by to key my car is just too much to handle. :rolling:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
most that I've driven with it on was about 45 miles.. and there was about the thickness of the needle between the needle and the bottom of the red line on the fuel gauge. Was I pushing it.. HECK YES.. but I made it to my destination..

Thrust

Established Member
When I see the low fuel light, I take it that I have less than 40 miles of fun left.

csumt76

Established Member
I hit the low fuel light on my way back from Jacsonville.. I think I drove about 25 miles to the nearest exit on the hwy. Came off and looked both ways, couldn't see shit for a gas station. So I got back on the highway and nursed it another 7 miles. I made it somehow. Pretty sure I was on fumes, less than 1 gallon in there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It is not normally good to repeatedly let your level fall to where the low-fuel indicator comes on, especially if you have aftermarket fuel pumps (ie. Focus, Aviator). Running consistently under 1/4 tank can cause the pumps to overheat and fail. And if there happens to be water or sludge in your tank letting the level fall too low will force the pumps to pick it up. Not good for the injectors. So running low occasionally isn't going to cause any harm, but it really isn't good to do it routinely.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I only had my light come on once. I went about 5 miles and had 2.5 gallons in the tank so I guess that's about when it's supposed to come on. On the highway that would be somewhere between 35 - 45 miles.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
bp03svt said:
Hell yeah, I'm with you on that bro LOL.

I have no idea how much is left because the thought of leaving my ride on the side of the road for some civic-driving-gangsta-mob boss-hustla-pimp to come by to key my car is just too much to handle. :rolling:
Too funny lol :lol: :lol:

rockX219

Established Member
I usually fill her up once I hit a little before quarter tank. Only a couple times I seen the low gas light. Once I see that, I go hunting for a gas station. I love my car... but I don't want to push her or use my Chevro-legs to get gas.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ModsAway said:

:rockon: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need one of those too!!!
Almost ran it out at lunch today!!!....LOL
I looked down and ... :uh oh: :eek: Those are the EXACT WORDS THAT POPPED INTO MY HEAD!!!

DUDE GET GAS NOW!!!

Too Funny!! Too coincidental!!!

Jimmy :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread