How Many Out There Prefer There Car Stock?

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
I'll end up modding my DD, it's a disease. It'll just be little things like tint, stereo but nothing ridiculous. I thought my S197 was gonna get a few bolt-ons. Springs, short shifter,wheels, exhaust then turbo and nitrous. At some point the car just wasn't as fun anymore.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Cars are too quiet to leave stock. I want to leave our family hauler, an 00 Navigator, stock, but I'd at least like an intake, exhaust, and some sort of gas mileage tune on it.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
D3tBa.gif

jcthorne

Established Member
The only 'completely' stock car that any real car guy drives is a rental car. And not always then.

Oh and the new car home from the dealership.

dom418

Established Member
Stock is boring! I left my 04 cobra stock with 6400 miles on it because I didn't want to mess with it. I regret that because now that it's gone I wish I could have done some minor mods to it. Exhaust, pulley, intake. That's the fun of having these cars! They are too quiet from the factory. My next one will have mods. As long as you keep every original part and don't beat the piss out of it, resale value shouldn't take a hit.

AAG

Established Member
Not every car i have/will own will have power upgrades, but they all will be upgraded in the suspension dept. Most stock suspensions suck

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
i leave none of my cars stock unless i cant afford to.

but if its a DD ill keep it where it has stock type driveability.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I dont care what you guys say, stock cars last longer and are much more reliable. I keep my DDs stock and they both have over 100k miles w/o any issues.

Ford tests their cars for YEARS to get everything right, and then we screw it all up with untested mods:p

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I'm at 156k now... Up until 138k I was stock, hadn't had any issues outside of routine maintenance. I have to agree the headaches you get from modding make me wish I had just kept it stock.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
I'm not sure yet. Had two jeeps over four years that had lots of mods. Killer offroad and not too bad onroad. My 07 f150 is staying almost all stock. My 99 cobra I'm still not sure about yet. See how it is after driving it for a few months.

Mulldune

Established Member
When I was looking far a Cobra to buy,it being stock was a requirement,now that Ive owned it for about a year ,Im thinking that a CAI and an exhaust are on the way

jcthorne

Established Member
I dont care what you guys say, stock cars last longer and are much more reliable. I keep my DDs stock and they both have over 100k miles w/o any issues.

Ford tests their cars for YEARS to get everything right, and then we screw it all up with untested mods:p

They spend years engineering to a marketing point and for the least common denominator. Modification is to bring a vehicle closer to ones personal specs, rather than Ford marketing. Done right, mods do not lessen reliability and can increase capability, comfort and pride of ownership. None of my vehicles are stock and a number have gone well over 200k. If the vehicle becomes less reliable, that was either the desired trade off or 'your doing it wrong'.

Again, car guys do not give up and leave anything 'stock'. Quit making excuses.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
They spend years engineering to a marketing point and for the least common denominator. Modification is to bring a vehicle closer to ones personal specs, rather than Ford marketing. Done right, mods do not lessen reliability and can increase capability, comfort and pride of ownership. None of my vehicles are stock and a number have gone well over 200k. If the vehicle becomes less reliable, that was either the desired trade off or 'your doing it wrong'.

Again, car guys do not give up and leave anything 'stock'. Quit making excuses.

I guess your mods go as far as tint and stickers then? :uh oh:

All of the "modded" cars I see end up sitting in peoples garages waiting on parts, time, etc. (including my own).

Car companies spend YEARS on testing shifters, exhausts, transmissions, etc. for a reason. They get everything perfect....and then we go in and screw it all up. My Dad was a powertrain eng on the 05 stang and he told me tons of mod stories. People screwing with the MAF sensors, mid pipes, headers....the list goes on and on. How we he know about these cars?!?! Because they ended up broken and back in a dealership. Aftermarket companies do not have the time nor money to do the required testing to their products.

Anybody notice that all the best mod items are made by FORD RACING, MOPAR, and Chevrolet performance group? Strange isn't it :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread