How Many Out There Prefer There Car Stock?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i believe most cars need some upgrades but in the case of my old f150 lightning, stock was the best of times and after i built the truck it was just a handful of crap with issues popping up all the time.

on the other hand, my 05 needs work to keep up with anything respectable these days and my DD hyundai needed work just to be sane while driving home, it was way too boring stock and so far i have improved gas mileage along with fun factor.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I dont care what you guys say, stock cars last longer and are much more reliable. I keep my DDs stock and they both have over 100k miles w/o any issues.

Ford tests their cars for YEARS to get everything right, and then we screw it all up with untested mods:p
This is the thing about stock cars and modded, you can't compare them. Modded car's get beaten, stock car's lots of people take more care of them.
A modded car driven like an old man's car im more than positive will last as much as a stock car maybe longer?

A modded car won't last longer not because of its mods but because of the way they're driven. The mods do help in the beating since it helps push the car even further but by themselves they don't hurt the car. Some mods might even help expand the life of the car.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
lol.....lets see.

first car, 89 lincoln mark vii LSC....supercharged, heads, 347 stroker, streetfighter tranny, modded air bag suspension, wheels and brakes.

second car 99 cobra, intake, tuner, solid axle, shifter, gears, ds, wheels brakes exhaust

97 mark viii had it for 3 months, liked it....but not enough for me.

03 cobra.....built pretty heavily.

98 Viper GTS 510 stroker, P&P heads, cammed, supercharged, nitrous, brakes, wheels, stereo.

08 silverado 6.0 custom tuned, intake, exhaust, and debating a KB blower setup for it.

05 ford F350 crew cab dually, 6.0 diesel with all necessary motor work completed, Tuned.

05 dodge neon, intake, tuner

lol.....nope, pretty much incapable of leaving them stock. my silverado had 102 miles on it when I put the intake on it. lol. it never takes me long.

Coiled03

Established Member
Prefer it stock? No, I wouldn't say that. But I would agree that I prefer it only mildly modified to maintain a good combination of mods that suit my taste and reliability

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I guess your mods go as far as tint and stickers then? :uh oh:

All of the "modded" cars I see end up sitting in peoples garages waiting on parts, time, etc. (including my own).

Car companies spend YEARS on testing shifters, exhausts, transmissions, etc. for a reason. They get everything perfect....and then we go in and screw it all up. My Dad was a powertrain eng on the 05 stang and he told me tons of mod stories. People screwing with the MAF sensors, mid pipes, headers....the list goes on and on. How we he know about these cars?!?! Because they ended up broken and back in a dealership. Aftermarket companies do not have the time nor money to do the required testing to their products.

They didn't get the 99-04 IRS perfect, did they? IMO they make cars as good as the budget will allow.

LostPony

Established Member
My Boss is the first car I ever bought that I didn't feel a need to modify. I track it, and I daily drive it. I have almost 8900 miles on it now in just 3 1/2 months. Beyond changing brake fluid to DOT 4, I will be putting on the LS brake ducts, and getting the LS wheels and sticky tires for track events with the required brake pad upgrade for added track capability. I don't consider this a mod as it will remain "stock" when on the street.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The only vehicle I have had up until this point in my 2001 F150. Other than a K&N cold-air, Magnaflow exhaust, VMP tunes, and an Eibach/Belltech suspension, it is stock.

I am the kind of person to modify my car to look like something Ford would have (or sometimes, should have) had available from the factory. My truck will eventually be a ode to the FX2 style package from the 04+ F150 trucks but in a 99-03 body style.

My 2013 will remain "stock" in a sense as the only upgrades I will be doing to it will be Ford Racing parts.

jcthorne

Established Member
I guess your mods go as far as tint and stickers then? :uh oh::

MMMM, nope.

All of the "modded" cars I see end up sitting in peoples garages waiting on parts, time, etc. (including my own). ::

Exactly my point. you and 'all the modded cars you see' are not doing it right. Done right they are not broken down or waiting on parts any more than an unmodified car. Just because you have had poor results from modifying your car and ended up with a POS, does not mean that everyone that turns a wrench outside of Ford has the same results. Far from it. Many have learned hard lessons and improved the breed. Some like you want to give up.

Anybody notice that all the best mod items are made by FORD RACING, MOPAR, and Chevrolet performance group? Strange isn't it :eek:

So buying and installing aftermarket Ford Racing parts is not modifying a car? By the way, The vast majority of the parts in the FRP catalog are from vendors to Ford, not internal design and manufacture.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
On my DD's I always do exhaust/intake for mpg and sound. I won't do anything more to my DD's though. I currently DD a jeep commander 4.7 and have a magnaflow cat-back and a K&N intake. Not only does it sound great but I gained 2-3 mpg but I also drive like a 70 yr old man in it.

On my 01 I am modding the piss out of it. It will be a street/showcar-fun car

On the 04, I don't plan on doing more than catback-intake-shifter-lowering springs-FLSFC and possibly a tune in the future when I am happy (or almost happy) with the 01. It will always be a weekend cruiser, lake trips ect ect until I part ways with it.

I am looking for a foxbody for a 90% drag strip only car unless I find a t-top car

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
It depends on the importance of the car. If I had a Boss 429 I would leave it stone stock , and not modify it at all for instance. If I had an 03 Cobra than it would be modified from suspension to engine.

CNTLOSE

It is what it is...
Established Member
I think am going to do the exhaust and intake...not sure on a pully swap yet. I am going to make it "my car", but still able to be back to stock in a matter of an afternoon.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
With the Cobra and L, I've tried to keep them as stock as possible cosmetically, the only "mods" being '01-'02 wheels on the L and the requisite Cobra R's on the Cobra. Pretty happy with the way they came from the factory, so I felt no need to really change how they look.

Basically limited my mods to exhaust, intake, and suspension. Stock longblocks on both; don't want to deal with emissions, driveability, and reliability hassles so the Cobra doesn't have the blower or cams I've really wanted to give it and the truck will never be pulley'd.

So they might be slow, but at least I'm not living under their hoods ;-)

Qwk GT

Established Member
I used to mod everything I owned. My first 04 cobra I bought stock, with the intention of modding it, which I did.

My last one I bought was also all stock. I've thought about keeping it stock, which it still is except for a predator programmer. Although honestly I've been pricing ported blowers, so who knows how much longer I'll be able to hold out.

You may want to consider keeping it stock with the miles and if you intend to keep it a low mileage car.

There are people that still prefer buying stock cars to mod. I did. I bought a virgin with 4k miles, just so I wouldn't end up with someone elses project/possibly beaten up car.

JMO.

Last edited:

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Mine is stock under the hood, only suspension mods. Figure if I ever sell it someone would want a stock engine to start with.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Look wise. Hell no i hate how the majority of mustangs look stock. The sn95 GT's and v6 look like complete crap stock.

The 03-04 cobra looks pretty good but need lowering to complete the "stock" look.

Performance wise: Every car i owned has been piss poor slow. Both v8 sn95 GT. Both are slow. Do i want a slow car? No, but if the money allows it wont be stock long.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread