How many tunes to get L&M cams right?

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
How many tunes did it take for you guys that have L&M cams to get them right?

My issues:

Surging like crazy at low rpms
When trying to go through gears slowly car bucks
When pulling in clutch idle jumps to 1200 rpm and hangs
RPM hangs at stops takes a while to drop
When leaving a stop after letting out the clutch it bucks then goes so really jerky

I’ve seen tons of people that run these with no issues which is why I went with them.

I did switch TBs to and went with a VMP 72mm tb

It was a mailed tune from a reputable place that I’ve had tunes from before without issues needed a revision here or there but it ended up good.

Just seeing from you all that fun NSRs if it took a while to fine tune?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RBB

Established Member
How many tunes did it take for you guys that have L&M cams to get them right?

My issues:

Surging like crazy at low rpms
When trying to go through gears slowly car bucks
When pulling in clutch idle jumps to 1200 rpm and hangs
RPM hangs at stops takes a while to drop
When leaving a stop after letting out the clutch it bucks then goes so really jerky

I’ve seen tons of people that run these with no issues which is why I went with them.

I did switch TBs to and went with a VMP 72mm tb

It was a mailed tune from a reputable place that I’ve had tunes from before without issues needed a revision here or there but it ended up good.

Just seeing from you all that fun NSRs if it took a while to fine tune?

Lund had no issues dialing in my JDM cams, fine on the first try. Are you also running a big mono TB? That can complicate things.

The surging and rev hanging isn’t normal, but it’s a lot harder to drive the car smoothly when just pussy footing around out on the street. An aftermarket clutch doesn’t help matters either. Just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Lund had no issues dialing in my JDM cams, fine on the first try. Are you also running a big mono TB? That can complicate things.

The surging and rev hanging isn’t normal, but it’s a lot harder to drive the car smoothly when just pussy footing around out on the street. An aftermarket clutch doesn’t help matters either. Just the nature of the beast.

No I’m running a dual 72 VMP person I got it from had 0 issues.

Going through gears slowing with it bucking
And leaving from a stop where it kind of ties then jumps up in rpm is the only 2 I care about
I’ve also seen people able to coast like through parking lots or neighborhood but it’s a pain with how it is now

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard the 72 mm VMP is hard to tune and may not be tuneable depending on application. There's some reason they quit selling it. As far as bucking at low speeds, I take you mean low rpm. Such is the nature of cams. You're going to need to keep your rpm over 2,000 rpm at a minimum while driving. They won't behave well at lower rpm.

Last edited:

96gt02

Established Member
Sounds more like a TB issue to me as well and those twin 72mm are know to have more issues then the monoblades which is impressive

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Sounds more like a TB issue to me as well and those twin 72mm are know to have more issues then the monoblades which is impressive

Well his 72mm came from my car, this TB was ran the last 2yrs WITHOUT issues. Was first tuned by VMP (Justin) when the gen2r was installed..... then once I went 6r80 Lund jr tuned it WITHOUT issues. Only reason I sold it was from going to the new revised vmp 160 mono.
Being a remote tune with cams, I’m sure a couple revisions should have it worked out. Lund racing loves the L&m nsr cams and recommends them as the cam of choice.

69b302

Established Member
The combination of aftermarket cams and TBs requires your tune to actually be accurate. With lesser mods the PCM compensates for a lot, and sloppy tunes run ok.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea I haven’t really talked to the tuner yet sent all the info and datalogs waiting to see what they say.

Like I said I was just asking if it took guys with cams multiple attempts to get it right I mean little stuff here and there isn’t bad but the shit is barley driveable and I’ve always driven cars with aftermarket clutches and tons of mods. Not saying I’m a pro but use to it.

I’ve had it tuned by the same person and had issues sent my problems and when it was revised it was perfect so I’m sure I’ll be good just wondering if it will be 50 revisions lol

Thanks for the help tho everyone

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d rather not because it will turn into me bashing them or some other BS they have tuned a good amount of our cars tho. Like I said just curious to see how others got their stuff revised if they had issues. May end up having to drop the 72MM so we will see but I think that they can get this combo working. At least I’d hope so.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
L&M recommends their low vacuum boost bypass actuator. Did you install one of these? If not, you should. Tuners have different levels of experience. With a combination like cams and a large throttle body and I'm guessing long-tubes too, I'd choose one with a lot of experience doing similar tunes. One such tuner has already posted in your thread.

96gt02

Established Member
Do you have say a 65mm or 67mm know good throttle body in hand? Just to rule out that 72mm causing the issue?

96gt02

Established Member
How about a stock throttle even? I know thats a major drop off but just to narrow things down a bit.... I know the 72mm worked good on another car but certain cars just dont like certain parts even if they worked on others for whatever reason.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
^This. I was going to offer similar advice. At least focus on one variable at a time. Those cams have a lot of overlap and the reason they sound like they do. It's also pretty much a power killer under 2,000 rpm, so you need to change your driving style to keep the revs above that, regardless how you used to drive. It will never behave like it did with the stock cams at low speed driving.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Cool thanks for the heads up.

Oh and yes I’m running the Bypass from them as well.

We will see with the revision how things are. If I need to swap back to a 67 oh well no big deal

96gt02

Established Member
I have a twin 65mm for $400 shipped if you need one :) but hopefully its just a tune issue.

Users who are viewing this thread