How much are Mods worth upon resale?

Lawrenzo

Established Member
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't see one that is better suited.

I'm looking at a 2011 GT500 with a Kenne Belle 2.8 and numerous other upgrades. Around $15k+ in total. What would all these mods realistically add to the price of the car? 25-30% of their original cost plus labor??

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Well, I would personally not give that much extra for mods, even though it sounds like some very good ones. If the car is at a dealership that specializes in these types of cars, maybe I would give a little bit more but not 30%. Good luck.

Richie

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on the buyer. If your mods align with exactly what a buyer is looking for, then they will be worth a small upcharge. To everyone else, they are worth nothing, or maybe even less than if the car was stock. It's a hard game to sell a modded car.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
To the majority of car buyers- mods make cars worth less.

To a very small minority- you could get 10-15% back. A big reason why many people return cars to stock. Parts are worth more OFF the car

iwannacobra5

Established Member
all depends on the buyer and what they want. i may pay a little extra for tasteful mods that i knew were installed right. you often wonder what kind of abuse modded cars have gone through as well. some may have been babied, while others might have been beat to hell.... it's the risk you take buying them. you'll probably sleep better at night knowing you've got a stock car to do your own modding with.

Dooger54

Established Member
I'll chime in as a prospective buyer, not a current owner. I would agree that for me a stock car is what I am looking for. You never know how a modded car has been treated, run hard, etc. The only mods I would favor is the right wheels/tires, CAI and tuner.

Imatk

Established Member
Agree with Chris, most people want the car stock.

They see a modded car and think, "OH that must have been driven hard!"

Even though it's possible that it wasn't, doesn't matter.

But like others have said, with the right buyer then everything might fall into place.

Lawrenzo

Established Member
Well, the "right" buyer did fall into place, but it wasn't me. Some guy flew in from Florida(to Southern CA) and bought it for the asking price of $55k. He obviously had a major hard on for the car, and believed all the puffery the dealership attached to the car's history. There's a sucker born every day it seems.

RAWRIGHT

Established Member
There is no chance I would buy a modded car from a dealer all the way across the country. Mods on a car at a dealer reduces the value for me, because there is no way of knowing what that car has been through. Was it an old man that just like to spend money and look at it? Or someone who mods cars and then drives the hell out of them?

slingshot

Established Member
A) Depends on Mods... 2) To a dealer? Forget it... 3) If the mods are exactly what I would do to the vehicle anyway--I'll give 40-50% of cost of mods... zero for labor 4) OEM parts must come with it or I reduce value of mods...

Users who are viewing this thread