How much boost with 2.8/2.81

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
Hey fellas. Want to tank all those handed me some advice on choosing a pulley. I am going to go with the 2.8 or 2.81, depending on where I get it. I have a question regarding the boost levels.

I got on Steeda's site and they said theie 2.81 with add 4-5 lbs boost. BilletFlow says that their 2.93 adds 5-6 and the 2.76 adds 7-8 lbs. What's they deal on that. What is wrong with this picture. BF 2.93 asdds more than Steeda's 2.81. I know the 2.93 adds at least 4, so why would Steeda say the 2.81 only addds 4-5. Are they just idiots, or is Billet Flow BSing. My guess is that Steeda is an idiot.

What you think. Thanks...B_S

dougwg

Established Member
I got the info for the boost from the FAQ at the top of this forum..

you could get upto 8lbs if you install our 2.76, a good CAI and still had your stock exhaust...

but not many people do this

so inlight of your question, I have revised the BilletFlow website to reflect more main stream gains and reduced the numbers by 1lbs each for the 2.76

Remember.... BOOST IS A BY PRODUCT OF RESTRICTION

if you want losts of boost, shove a potato in your exhaust and run without an air filter....

you will get lots of boost.... but you will lose lots of HP!

The boost gauge in your car is just a selling point for Ford.... it doesn't really mean much.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
And to add to dougs post. His pulleys are the best looking and also fit the best. I suggest you buy his, and disregard the potato thing.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
My 2.93 puts down 13psi all day long... So thats an extra 5psi. I am guessing when I do the 2.80 pulley I will get 15psi which will be 7psi over stock!!

coleman

Established Member
depends on altitude, exhaust, intake, etc... but i was getting nearly 15# with my 2.8.

Shanezam203

Established Member
coleman what's a decent tune to go with for the 2.8 upper? That's what Im thinking about doing but I want to figure out a safe tune first. I am getting the predator so Ill be able to make revisions to it and I think I'll be able to make a pretty safe tune for that much boost. Any suggestions though?
Thanks, Shane

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by Shanezam203
coleman what's a decent tune to go with for the 2.8 upper? That's what Im thinking about doing but I want to figure out a safe tune first. I am getting the predator so Ill be able to make revisions to it and I think I'll be able to make a pretty safe tune for that much boost. Any suggestions though?
Thanks, Shane
buy your predator from amazon racing, and they will give you a free custom tunes to your mod specifications.

coleman

Established Member
Shanezam203, I've sunk so much money into my car that I'm forgoing any predator-type solution for a truly professional tuning package from SCT through Modular Depot -- the SCT Racer Pro package -- arrives tomorrow.

I'm tired of spending 150 everytime i want a minor tweak...

Any tuning should be immediately followed-up or accompanied by an A/F-dyno pull to ensure that you don't do any serious damage to your engine ... I have a wbO2 (LM1) that will fulfill most of that need as well.

Just depends on what your goals are & how much you are willing to spend.

Shanezam203

Established Member
i'd like to get the 2.8 on and try a safe tune with the predator and get it on the dyno and go from there about getting a custom tune. Does that sound like a decent route to take?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
Shanezam203, I've sunk so much money into my car that I'm forgoing any predator-type solution for a truly professional tuning package from SCT through Modular Depot -- the SCT Racer Pro package -- arrives tomorrow.

I'm tired of spending 150 everytime i want a minor tweak...

Any tuning should be immediately followed-up or accompanied by an A/F-dyno pull to ensure that you don't do any serious damage to your engine ... I have a wbO2 (LM1) that will fulfill most of that need as well.

Just depends on what your goals are & how much you are willing to spend.
are you planning on making WOT 4th gear pulls to accurately get a 1:1 pull to 13X MPH?

**edit** or are you dynoing it everytime?

coleman

Established Member
Shanezam203 -- :thumbsup:

dgussin1 -- that's what the final dyno session would be for cuz I never speed on public roads :lol1:
no, seriourly, i'm primarily concerned about getting good A/F reading for short durations in 2nd & 3rd. once i get that to where i want, i'll wrap it up with an A/F dyno to verify my tune

first, i need to address my stalling issue on startup & then i'll have to overcome my MAF-pegging issue. so much more to do...

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
then i'll have to overcome my MAF-pegging issue. so much more to do...
Why not just get a pro-m 92mm or 95mm cal'd for your 55's. That would take care of that. as for your stall, I would contact your engine builder.

coleman

Established Member
that's what my tuning package is for ... and i do have a 95mm tube to get some more bandwidth -- just tube. i'm going to use my stock MAF electronics.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was getting 15-16 lbs. with my 2.80 pulley. I got 14-15 lbs. with my 2.90. Like Doug said, I think too many focus too much of boost numbers when we should be more concerned about how much power we're putting down. More boost isn't always a good thing. If I can make the same power with less boost as someone else with similar mods, mine is the better of the two.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I was getting 15-16 lbs. with my 2.80 pulley. I got 14-15 lbs. with my 2.90. Like Doug said, I think too many focus too much of boost numbers when we should be more concerned about how much power we're putting down. More boost isn't always a good thing. If I can make the same power with less boost as someone else with similar mods, mine is the better of the two.

Bingo! Thats why if you stick with a 2.93, apten, TB, CAI, LT's, mid pipe and CB, you should be over the 500 mark, and you will run a lot cooler because the car is breathing so much better.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by mike79
Bingo! Thats why if you stick with a 2.93, apten, TB, CAI, LT's, mid pipe and CB, you should be over the 500 mark, and you will run a lot cooler because the car is breathing so much better.
And a BINGO right back at ya my friend. I posted more than once that if I ever were to do it again I would NEVER have swapped my 2.90 upper for the 2.80. I gained no power and just a tad more torque. Long live the 2.90/2.93! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread