How much boost?

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
I was wondering how much boost people are running on their 03 Cobra's with PUMP GAS (93 Octane)?

I've been kicking around the idea of changing the pulley and adding a chip, but I'm a little concerned since these same two mods grenaded my 01 Lightning. (Lightning was pullied for 15lb of boost w/ chip from PSP)

I just bought a Densecharger CAI and a FRPP 3" Catback exhaust for the Cobra. Planning on a set of Bassani Mid-Length's w/ X-Pipe and a shifter too.

After speaking with PSP, I was told that my chip can be reprogramed for my Cobra, so I'm really thinking about doing it, especially since it's only $10.00 to reprogram it, and the pully is cheap too, but I don't want to go through the hassle of another motor replacement from Ford.

Any input would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Pyro

Established Member
To my knowledge, many people are using a 2.80" pulley with chip and have yet to grenade the motor. I've evem seen people use a 2.8" upper and 2-4 ib. lowers without problems...maybe diminishing returns but no grenades. JDM and Nitrous Pete use obscene amounts of boost AND drive them hard. Neither have grenaded their motors. I guess as long as you have a good program resulting in no detonation, you are ok. I'm no expert but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn! :p

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
LOL! I know all about the insane boost levels that JDM and Pete run, but I sure that's not on pump gas. Sorry, but I like going to any Exxon or BP and topping it off. Not looking to drive to the nearest airport for some 114! This is a STREET CAR for me, I have a 89 Stang that fills up at the Airport.

Pyro

Established Member
Oh ya, forgot that part. Anywho, most of the guys who use a 2.80" upper and another who uses a 3.1" upper and 2 lb. lower is running fine with 91 octane. I'm on a 2.93" WITHOUT a chip and I usually use 91 octane but on occasion use 50/50 of 91 octane and 100 octane (4.99/gal :eek: ) and I've been fine. I just keep my ears open for pinging and check my plugs everytime I wash the car for signs of detonation. So far, so good but I will soon be installing a 2.80" when I finally get a Predator. Good Luck.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The amount of boost you can run will be largely dependant on how cold you can get you air charge. I see guys running 17psi on the eaton so I would say you can run significantly more out of a KB/Works or turbo setup.

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
OK, I'm just a little leary because I don't see him promoting the Cobra's like he does the Lightnings.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by Viper_ed
OK, I'm just a little leary because I don't see him promoting the Cobra's like he does the Lightnings.

I seem Sal dyno tune quite a few 03 Cobra's..Sal is a tunner...

E mail him he can give you more info on cars he has tunned,,He has programs for your needs..

[email protected]

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
It's nice to see that you hold one of your competitors with such high respect! You're truly a class act! When it comes time for the mid-lenght headers and intermediate pipe, I'll be sure to give you a shout!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I use Sunoco Ultra (94 octane) most of the time. I'm using the 2.90" pulley.

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
K so what if i wanna get my my Boost to like 25-30? I know i would need some mods to get to 25-30lbs but what over things would i have to change? Would i have to upgrade some stuff to not mess up my engine?

Users who are viewing this thread