How much do hi flow cats kill sound ?

sweetlou1182

Established Member
So I have a little bit of a dilemma. Right now I have a off-road X and just put on Borla Ataks. They sound ferocious and I love them however I'm worried about the boys in blue. I have a set of kooks long tubes I planned on putting on sometime this summer but once the borlas went on I'm now hesitant to add more noise.

My plan is to buy the kooks X pipe with the green cats. My million dollar 2 part question is a) will LTs make it THAT much louder or just deeper? B) how much noise will the hi flows cut down? I really want to still install the headers and keep the borlas without being arrested haha

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
A set of resonators would tone it down some and kill any drone.

Islandcat

Established Member
I had an off road hpipe then went to kooks with off road hpipe. I didn't notice it get any louder just a good bit deeper sounding, so I wouldn't really worry about headers making it louder than it is now

I don't know if high flow cats will quiet it down though. I am guessing it should somewhat. Just a guess though.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Borla Ataks are loud and sorta raspy anyway and the X-Pipe you have just makes it a little more high pitched!! The Hi-Flow Cats will cut some of the raspiness but I doubt very much??:(

Borla S-Types would actually sound better IMHO and an H-Pipe would help too but all that costs a lot!! :eek:

Long tubes......I have no clue as to what they might add to the mix??o_O

Good Luck!!:)

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Headers likely will not deepen the tone of your exhaust. Rather, make it raspier. I incrementally added 16" MBRP resonators first, and then Dynatech hi-flow "Super Cats". The resonators reduced the rasp probably 20% and the cats reduced the rasp another 10%. Just ballpark numbers; no data.

TheGovernment

Established Member
I just added some Dynatech long tubes to my 08. Was running a BBK catless xpipe and dual thrush muffler's. It was pretty loud but not crazy loud.
After adding the log tubes and dynatech catless xpipe.... It's crazy loud now! Lol it's sounds flat out like a race car. I freaking love it. The tone is lower and it just screams at full throttle. Scares the shit outta people on the street :)

sweetlou1182

Established Member
Well due to inspection where I am when I do the LTs i plan on adding high flow cats as well. I dont mind the rasp or sound changing I just dont want any louder because then I'm just asking for it.

SuperFly03

Established Member
I’ve had ATAK, LT and no cats for years and not once have I had a problem. Yeah it will attract attention but I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on the sounds. Been pulled over a few times.

sweetlou1182

Established Member
The Ataks do sound mean. Did your setup get more rasp with the LTs? I think im going forward with my Kooks LTs and going to get the green cats. If I get in heat with the law I'll look into a resonator.

SuperFly03

Established Member
I did all the mods at once so before and after are a little tough. I do get some droning at 70-80. It’s not bad but it’s noticeable. I try and drive around it when I can.

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm running pretty much what you're looking at doing. Kooks LTs, Kooks HF Cat H-Pipe, Borla ATAKs.

I greatly prefer the HF Cat sound vs the raspy O/R pipes. The sound is somewhat attenuated by the cats so just cruising around it will not upset anyone though they will definitely hear you. Under load this setup is very aggressive and can be heard from quite a distance. The HF cats kill off any raspy-ness and all you're left with is a deep rumble.

The LTs gave it a more pronounced rumble. I was smiling ear to ear when I first started the car after the install.

sweetlou1182

Established Member
I'm running pretty much what you're looking at doing. Kooks LTs, Kooks HF Cat H-Pipe, Borla ATAKs.

I greatly prefer the HF Cat sound vs the raspy O/R pipes. The sound is somewhat attenuated by the cats so just cruising around it will not upset anyone though they will definitely hear you. Under load this setup is very aggressive and can be heard from quite a distance. The HF cats kill off any raspy-ness and all you're left with is a deep rumble.

The LTs gave it a more pronounced rumble. I was smiling ear to ear when I first started the car after the install.

Thanks for the info CV. After putting a few hundred miles on the borlas they definitely tamed down Alil. I'm going to move forward with the kook install.

RBB

Established Member
As others have said, LTs will make the car much louder when you're getting into it. Anyone in the vicinity will hear you coming for sure. I've never had a problem with cops over it though.

CV355

_
Established Member
Thanks for the info CV. After putting a few hundred miles on the borlas they definitely tamed down Alil. I'm going to move forward with the kook install.

You're going to love it. My wife is not a fan of loud exhausts and she has even commented at how quiet the car can be (inside) when just cruising along. She has also told me "I heard you leave work, get on the highway, and all the way home." Granted, I live 3 miles from work, and I do not beat on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread